The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Aston University Official Representative

Scroll to see replies

hi
like above i am interested in studying for a languages for all offered in my first year but as i will be studying biomedical sciences, i too am worried that the workload will be too much and that my work will suffer? any idea as to the work load, an example of a timetable etc would be appreciated and also what benefit a language course will have for me after i graduate if i do mandarin for example?
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 61
I'm thinking of doing pharmacy at Aston and only have 3 A levels in biology, chemistry and english literature. I have no AS levels. Will this affect my application if i achieve the entry requirements?
Reply 62
Original post by Aston University
Hello, my name is Karen and I work at Aston University. As an admissions officer within Aston Business School I can answer questions relating to making an application for our business courses, but I can also help with any questions about studying at Aston, what Birmingham is like, or anything else that you’d like to know. If you would like information about any of the other degrees at Aston please free to ask and I’ll get the answer for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Karen Nisbett
Official University Representative

hi,

I wanted to apply for accounting course, I will meet the A level requirement but not the Grade B at GCSE maths,
will will be retaking this maths in November 2012 and results will our probably Feb/Mar 2013, not sure on the exact date.
how will this affect my application?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
Hi Aston is my firm choice to study English with politics. I currently study as and a2 English, btec business, gov& politics an Btech drama. I have been offered a conditional of b in English and 2 distinctions in drama and business. I know that I have achieved the distinction aspect of the offer however I have not been entered into a2 English exam. If I am not able to sit the exam what happens next.
Thanks
Original post by Mtr1
Ive accepted an offer to study biomedical science at Aston in September and I have just received the email about the opportunity to take place in the languages for all programme in my first year. I was just wondering if I would be able to fit both into my workload? The opinions on how much you have to do for biomed differ loads with regards to things such as extra reading and actual lecture/lab sessions. Basically is the work load really heavy or would I have plenty of time for both?

Hi. Thank you for your question. The University Wide Language Programme that has been offered to you will give you langauage tution for 2 hours per week. It is anticipated that students would be able to manage that along with their other studies.

Further information can be found here http://www1.aston.ac.uk/lss/uwlp/ . But, if you still have concerns please call your admissions office for further information.

Kind regards
Original post by kaypc
I'm thinking of doing pharmacy at Aston and only have 3 A levels in biology, chemistry and english literature. I have no AS levels. Will this affect my application if i achieve the entry requirements?

Hello the entry requirements for Pharmacy is currently AAB from 3 A Level subjects. Subject requirements; Chemistry, plus at least one from Biology, Maths or Physics. There is no AS level requirement.

Hope this helps. Visit www.aston.ac.uk/lhs for further information on the course.

Kind regards
Original post by freedom
hi,

I wanted to apply for accounting course, I will meet the A level requirement but not the Grade B at GCSE maths,
will will be retaking this maths in November 2012 and results will our probably Feb/Mar 2013, not sure on the exact date.
how will this affect my application?

Hello. As long as you already have at least a Grade C in GCSE maths, and your predicted A'Level grades meet the entry requirements then you will probably get an offer that includes achieveing GCSE grade B in Maths.

Good Luck!
Original post by Tenz
Hi Aston is my firm choice to study English with politics. I currently study as and a2 English, btec business, gov& politics an Btech drama. I have been offered a conditional of b in English and 2 distinctions in drama and business. I know that I have achieved the distinction aspect of the offer however I have not been entered into a2 English exam. If I am not able to sit the exam what happens next.
Thanks

Hi Tenz

This is likey to affect your chances of securing a place, but without knowing what other qualifications you have I can't advise you.

Please contact the School's Admissions Office ([email protected]) to advise of this change and get specific advice.

Kind regards
What is Birmingham like for student living? Aston's fairly central, so is it expensive?

Also, I'm considering the English Language and Psychology Combined Honours degree, which would be a better combination of A2s?
English Language, Psychology and Art
OR
English Language, Psychology and Politics?
Original post by cathjones28
hi
like above i am interested in studying for a languages for all offered in my first year but as i will be studying biomedical sciences, i too am worried that the workload will be too much and that my work will suffer? any idea as to the work load, an example of a timetable etc would be appreciated and also what benefit a language course will have for me after i graduate if i do mandarin for example?

Hi. Thank you for your question. The University Wide Language Programme that has been offered to you will give you langauage tution for 2 hours per week. It is anticipated that students would be able to manage that along with their other studies.

Some of the benefits of having the ability to speak another langauage is that it will enhnace your CV and improve your employability.

Further information can be found here http://www1.aston.ac.uk/lss/uwlp/ . But, if you still have concerns please call your admissions office for further information.

Kind regards
Do any Optometry places at Aston ever go to clearing or Adjustment?
Original post by Aston University
Hello the entry requirements for Pharmacy is currently AAB from 3 A Level subjects. Subject requirements; Chemistry, plus at least one from Biology, Maths or Physics. There is no AS level requirement.

Hope this helps. Visit www.aston.ac.uk/lhs for further information on the course.

Kind regards

Hi there

I am expecting to achieve ABB or BBB at A Level. So I am retaking the year next year to boost my grades up to AAB. If I am predicted AAB, would I be considered normally for 2013 Pharmacy entry?

Or does Aston University have a particular policy on resit candidates, e.g. higher grades?

Kind regards
Reply 72
Hi,

I'm a current student and am on placement in 2012/13. I'm considering not taking out any loans for the year but am unsure of the arrangements for students who are paying fees directly. I found on the website some information related to instalments but the dates were for the 2011/12 year. Could you confirm the dates for the coming year?

Also, is it still the case that if paying by instalments, term 1 is 50% and term 2 and 3 25%?

Thanks.
Original post by The Doggfather
Hi there

I am expecting to achieve ABB or BBB at A Level. So I am retaking the year next year to boost my grades up to AAB. If I am predicted AAB, would I be considered normally for 2013 Pharmacy entry?

Or does Aston University have a particular policy on resit candidates, e.g. higher grades?

Kind regards

Hello. For Pharmacy, students retaking for the first time (i.e. 3 years in total at school/college) are considered equally to any other candidate.

Kind regards
Original post by Kim-x
Hi,

I'm a current student and am on placement in 2012/13. I'm considering not taking out any loans for the year but am unsure of the arrangements for students who are paying fees directly. I found on the website some information related to instalments but the dates were for the 2011/12 year. Could you confirm the dates for the coming year?

Also, is it still the case that if paying by instalments, term 1 is 50% and term 2 and 3 25%?

Thanks.

Hi Kim. The information on the website is the most up to date at the moment. I'd recommend that you call or email the Finance team directly on 0121 204 4355 or [email protected].

Best wishes
Original post by britchick
Do any Optometry places at Aston ever go to clearing or Adjustment?

Hello. We haven't had to go into clearing for Optometry for a very long time. It's always worth checking though, if you exceed your firm choice offer and can go into adjustment.

Best wishes
Reply 76
heyy i currently have an offer at Aston for chemical engineering asking for BBB and i resat my alevel hoping to get A in maths and B in chemistry but i took intesive bussiness alevel so im not sure if i can get B or C in bussiness .. would dat affect my offer . thanks
Original post by Fatima O
heyy i currently have an offer at Aston for chemical engineering asking for BBB and i resat my alevel hoping to get A in maths and B in chemistry but i took intesive bussiness alevel so im not sure if i can get B or C in bussiness .. would dat affect my offer . thanks

Hello Fatima - a place can only be guaranteed if you meet your offer. However, each year we are able to give places to some students who slightly missed their expected grades. This depends on if there are any places left and how far away your grades are from the orginal offer.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards
Hi everyone,

We just wanted to say good luck to all our applicants who are waiting for results on Thursday! On the morning of results day, if you want to confirm you have your place at Aston, please login to UCAS Track. There's more information about confirmation on our website: http://bit.ly/Nn39Xx

We've also added a "Why wait til September" tab to our Facebook page, so you can find out a bit more about what's happening during Freshers' and start to meet your coursemates and find your flatmates! http://on.fb.me/PTZ1sq

If you have any questions, please post them and we'll do our best to answer or point you in the right direction.
Reply 79
If somebody's place is confirmed, how long after will it be that they receive an accommodation offer?

Quick Reply

Latest