The Student Room Group

LUSH Henna Hair Dye...

... I bought some yesterday, and I'm not really sure how to use it? :o:

Has anyone here used it before, and if so could you tell me a few hints and tips on how to use it please? :biggrin:

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
friendsfanatic88

Has anyone here used it before, and if so could you tell me a few hints and tips on how to use it please? :biggrin:

Thanks in advance!

surely there is an instruction booklet? x
https://www.lush.co.uk/images/stories/annies/les-cacas-annie.jpg

http://www.lush.com/lushlife/hennas.htm

Also, if you type in 'Lush Henna Tutorial' on YouTube, you'll get loads of helpful results.
Reply 3
You have to break it up and mix it with hot water to get a lovely sort of slime . . .
It's bloody difficult to get out of towels, though, be warned.
x
ahh thanks girls :smile:

I didn't get a set of instructions with it and didn't think to ask until I remembered today! :biggrin:
Reply 5
:smile: When I used it I grated it first. Took a loooong time with a metal grater but it means you have to soak it for less time :smile:
Add warm water to it and wait until it becomes a thickish mixture, kind of like whipped cream then cover your whoooole head in it, when I used it I wrapped my head in clingfilm (Less mess and it meant it went a little bit reddish! I loved it!!) then wash... for hours... it's a nightmare to get out but worth it :smile:
xo
Reply 6
Be warned, it can get messy! Might be good to get someone to help you if it's your first time using it. Use old towels that you don't mind getting stained. And wear gloves, unless you truly desire orange skin.
Thanks for the tips! :biggrin:
Will give it a try later in the week - will try to rope my mum into helping me out! lol
Reply 8
Hey, sorry to join in late, but i used the whole bar of caca marron, and i just wondered, are you supposed to use the whole thing? Cos i keep reading that people only use two or three blocks at a time, and my hair is only about a third of the way down my back... :s-smilie:
Reply 9
I have hair about the same length and I only use half a bar at a time, but my hair is quite thin - it depends on your hair type. Just use as much as you need to.
Reply 10
I have naturally blonde hair about half way down my back and want to use caca rouge but im scared that when i use it it will turn orange and i dont want to use box products because of the chemicals can anyone help me?:s-smilie: oh and how long does it last?
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm like above, ^ I'd love to use it, but you always hear horror stories of the colour coming out completely different to what was expected! How certain can I be that it will come out as I want it to :eek: (My hair is mid/mousy brown). And how long can the colour be expected to stay in, or will the colour go weird as it starts to fade?
There are several lengthy posts I've written about henna/Lush henna in the past, you guys should do a search.
If you do a little research, you'll realise:

- henna is like a varnish that coats your hair. So depending on how much you wash it, what products you use etc, it can last anything from 6-12 weeks.
- you only need a couple blocks of Lush henna for a full head of hair. Gauge by eye when you start melting it.
- do a hair test to figure out how long to leave it to get your desired results or simply google, seriously, the amount of people who've used lush henna and you'll have a wealth of information! The lush forum is also a good place to start.
- it gets messy so make sure you take all the necessary precautions.
- you can add different things like coffee, cinnamon, pepper, lime etc to change the intensity of the henna.
- do not attempt to use any bleach or hair dyes whilst you have henna in your hair. They will react, your hair will bubble and then fall on the ground. I am not joking. The chemicals in hair dyes will react with the henna and you will be bald. If you're one for using chemical hair dyes, you should wait at least 3 months and then some before you attempt to dye your hair. As I've mentioned, henna coats your hair and although it will begin to fade at some point, it lasts months on the cuticle. If you can, do a hair test as well just to be safe and if anyone is about to do your hair, let them know that you've used henna and make sure they know why that's important. Any good salon/hair stylist will understand.
Reply 13
its a nightmare product turned out ok but nt as nice as i thought it would and according to my mum (whos used henna for years) its the worst quality shes seen and is very very messy not a good idea in a student flat
I grated it into a bowl, put hot water in it and stirred until it got gloopy and then rubbed it all into my head. I wrapped it up in clingfilm and it was a disaster because when I took it off, the dried henna dropped into the bath and when I washed it off expecting a nice red colour, I had NO change whatsoever. But then, my hair is dark brown/black. I wouldn't recommend it, though it did make my hair stronger and softer. It just wasn't worth all the time, effort and mess.
I get kind of bummed by the negative reviews for this product, as I have used it for about a year now, and have great results. That said, I knew what to expect, and did not expect a miracle product as some people seem to do.

It is henna, so it is messy. This is kind of a given. The mixing process is kind of a pain, but once you have done it a couple of times, it doesn't take very long. Also, unless you have extremely long, thick hair, you will NOT NEED THE WHOLE BAR. I usually start with 3 squares and use more as needed. To grate, I actually just use a sharp knife and shave the edges of the bar, square by square. I find this to be easier and less messy than using a metal grater, as the henna can get stuck in the grater. While doing this, bring water to a boil, BUT add water sparingly. I usually add about a cup of water to start, and then add more as needed. Add your water, start to stir, and then put the bowl of water into the remaining boiling water and continue stirring. This keeps your consistency good and helps to break up the lumps.

Once you have done this, you will need to let it cool for a few minutes. I usually put the bowl in the freezer for about 10 minutes. You do not want it to cool all the way, or it will get too thick. It should still be warm when you apply it to your hair.

Applying it (I think) is easy. Put on gloves and go to work. Just dip your hands in the dye and start to apply it to your scalp. Then just finger comb it into your hair, keeping the strands as small as possible throughout your head.

Wrap your hair with saran wrap and leave on for awhile. I have dark brown hair and use the caca rouge, so I usually leave it on for 5-6 hours.

Here's the thing. Henna is gross. It will drip down your neck and look like your head has diarhhea. It smells weird, and it it will stay in your hair for a couple of days before it is completely washed out. BUT, (I think) It is worth it. It makes your hair incredibly soft and shiny and actually works with your hair texture. My hair is much less frizzy after I use this dye, and my hairdresser has commented about how healthy my hair seems lately.

As for Lush's product specifically, I find that it works better than most Henna's solely because it has all of the ingredients that you might want to use in the single bar. So, while it is a little pricier, you don't have to buy as many products.

Finally, in terms of its lasting power... I usually re-do my hair about every 6 weeks. I could wait longer, but I like for my hair to be bright, and, like any semi-permanent dye, it fades.

For those who have only ever used store bought chemical dye products, this process might be a pain and a shock, but it is SO GOOD for your hair, and completely worth the pain. Also, for those who complain that the color doesn't show, this is likely because you are not leaving it on long enough. Though the Lush instructions say 1 hour, if you read elsewhere, it says anywhere from 1-6, depending on how bright you want. When you leave it on for longer, more color deposits, so the color is more likely to show. Like I said, I have really dark hair, and this shows up beautifully, so I have a hard time believing when people say it doesn't work.
Reply 16
Original post by friendsfanatic88

Thanks in advance!

There are instructions inside the newspaper they should have given you. I wouldn't recommend for colour as the henna can be quite unpredictable... (something they failed to inform me of when i bought it... i now have orange hair =/) but it is good for your hair and will make it feel stronger and healthier.
Reply 17
Original post by carmanicpanic
I get kind of bummed by the negative reviews for this product, as I have used it for about a year now, and have great results. That said, I knew what to expect, and did not expect a miracle product as some people seem to do.

It is henna, so it is messy. This is kind of a given. The mixing process is kind of a pain, but once you have done it a couple of times, it doesn't take very long. Also, unless you have extremely long, thick hair, you will NOT NEED THE WHOLE BAR. I usually start with 3 squares and use more as needed. To grate, I actually just use a sharp knife and shave the edges of the bar, square by square. I find this to be easier and less messy than using a metal grater, as the henna can get stuck in the grater. While doing this, bring water to a boil, BUT add water sparingly. I usually add about a cup of water to start, and then add more as needed. Add your water, start to stir, and then put the bowl of water into the remaining boiling water and continue stirring. This keeps your consistency good and helps to break up the lumps.

Once you have done this, you will need to let it cool for a few minutes. I usually put the bowl in the freezer for about 10 minutes. You do not want it to cool all the way, or it will get too thick. It should still be warm when you apply it to your hair.

Applying it (I think) is easy. Put on gloves and go to work. Just dip your hands in the dye and start to apply it to your scalp. Then just finger comb it into your hair, keeping the strands as small as possible throughout your head.

Wrap your hair with saran wrap and leave on for awhile. I have dark brown hair and use the caca rouge, so I usually leave it on for 5-6 hours.

Here's the thing. Henna is gross. It will drip down your neck and look like your head has diarhhea. It smells weird, and it it will stay in your hair for a couple of days before it is completely washed out. BUT, (I think) It is worth it. It makes your hair incredibly soft and shiny and actually works with your hair texture. My hair is much less frizzy after I use this dye, and my hairdresser has commented about how healthy my hair seems lately.

As for Lush's product specifically, I find that it works better than most Henna's solely because it has all of the ingredients that you might want to use in the single bar. So, while it is a little pricier, you don't have to buy as many products.

Finally, in terms of its lasting power... I usually re-do my hair about every 6 weeks. I could wait longer, but I like for my hair to be bright, and, like any semi-permanent dye, it fades.

For those who have only ever used store bought chemical dye products, this process might be a pain and a shock, but it is SO GOOD for your hair, and completely worth the pain. Also, for those who complain that the color doesn't show, this is likely because you are not leaving it on long enough. Though the Lush instructions say 1 hour, if you read elsewhere, it says anywhere from 1-6, depending on how bright you want. When you leave it on for longer, more color deposits, so the color is more likely to show. Like I said, I have really dark hair, and this shows up beautifully, so I have a hard time believing when people say it doesn't work.

I have black hair, if I were to use Caca Brun, would it show up at all?
I use henna every 6 ish weeks too, and have done for years now.
I mostly use Caca Rouge and add a teaspoon of cinnamon while melting the blocks to mask the smell.
I've got to be quite an expert at applying it now, and find it doesn't take much effort really, and I now make hardly any mess at all, it's like anything - practice!

But I love it, and the way my hair feels for weeks after i've used it is well worth it, I swear it makes my heair thicker too, though this I may be imagining :tongue:
Reply 19
Hey just stumbled upon this thread and thought I would chime in since I love Lush Hennas! The first time I used it I was totally disappointed - it was a mess and after sitting around for 2 hours and spending another 30 minutes trying to wash it out there was zero difference! How frustrating... Then years later (ie a few months ago) I decided to give it another go when I went to the shop to get some face wash and the girl had the glossiest red/auburn hair I'd ever seen. She told me it was the henna. Anyway, she went through a far more detailed description of things to try, application tips etc and so I went home and tried it. I decided to go with caca maron because I have dark brown hair and wanted to try the rouge but was afraid at just how 'rouge' it might go.

Tips I found helpful are don't grate it, chop it like you would a bar of chocolate with a big serrated knife - it crumbles up very easily. Add very hot but not boiling water a little at a time and stir stir stir until you have the consistency of greek yoghurt. Wear gloves (they give you a pair but I also bought more at the grocery store as one bar provides more than one application and honestly the ones from the grocery store were better). Lay newspaper down on the floor and counter/table of the room where you are applying the henna (in my case the bathroom). Wear old socks because there are some crumbs that will fall on the floor and if you're in bare feet you might step on them and then have orange blobs on your feet (remember henna is used to dye skin in wedding ceremonies). Keep the henna warm in a bain mary (I used a small baking dish with boiling water into which I put the bowl with my henna mixture) while applying. Once applied, I used a plastic bag on my head instead of clingwrap and then an old wollen hat. I then went to sleep and left it on overnight (much easier than sitting around for HOURS). The next morning set aside at least 30 minutes to wash the henna out of your hair under a warm shower.

The clean up was super easy because I just threw out the newspaper and gave the sink a quick wipe down. Honestly 5 minutes tops!

The results were really glossy dark auburn. I would say the colour different was subtle but definitely noticeable especially under bright lights or in the sun. Now that i've gone through my bar of maron I'm really debating trying the rouge. Love to hear about anybody's experience using the rouge and what results I could expect having dark hair. I know it won't get very red because the henna does not lighten but I'm wondering if it might be more noticeable than the moron.

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest