The Student Room Group

Dentistry: The Basics?

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Are you really that lazy that you are unable to just look this up?
Reply 2
Original post by pi=3
You're mean...

These exact same questions have been asked again and again and again. It's the same in the medicine section. It's really not that difficult to use a search engine or the search function on this site. There is also "useful resources" at the top of this page which I bet the OP hasn't read. The OP can also look at the dental applicant profiles to see what sort of things dentistry applicant do.
If you are too lazy to do some simple research yourself you shouldn't be applying for such a demanding degree and career.
Reply 3
Aberdeen is graduate dentistry. From what I've found so far, there are very few English dental schools that do not require you to have AH Biology, only a few (Newcastle, QUB & Sheffied off the top of my head) will take you with only Higher Biology from what it seems. You need as much work experience as you can possibly get in whatever dentistry aspect you can find but definitely need NHS stuff, and mention activities such as knitting and whatnot in your personal statement to show you have manual dexterity I think.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by . .
These exact same questions have been asked again and again and again. It's the same in the medicine section. It's really not that difficult to use a search engine or the search function on this site. There is also "useful resources" at the top of this page which I bet the OP hasn't read. The OP can also look at the dental applicant profiles to see what sort of things dentistry applicant do.
If you are too lazy to do some simple research yourself you shouldn't be applying for such a demanding degree and career.

Kk, Relax, I was just foolin'. Hey, aren't you the dude who's (probably) going to Bradford next year? I did that course not too long ago.

Good luck.
Reply 5
Original post by pi=3
Kk, Relax, I was just foolin'. Hey, aren't you the dude who's (probably) going to Bradford next year? I did that course not too long ago.

Good luck.

Yeah. It just annoying the information is so widely available it's literally a few clicks away and people don't even bother. Yeah I might be going don't really want to go though.
Reply 6
1. Aberdeen is graduate entry only i.e. you need a degree.
2. You can check the entry and subject requirements yourself for the English dental school by going on UCAS or checking each individual university website. Most of us will not be familiar with the Scottish entry requirements.
3. You need to do some work experience in a general NHS practice at a minimum and anything else is a bonus such as dental lab, private dentist, oral and maxfax, dental hospital, community dentistry, orthodontics (although Leeds will expect you to have some variety over a long-term).
4. It is also necessary to do some voluntary work in a caring environment for most schools e.g. care home, hospice etc.
5. It is useful to have some sort of example to demonstrate manual dexterity, however don't get too worked up on it, it's something they can teach you at dental school and most schools aren't too fussed about reading it in your PS.
6. You will also need to sit the UKCAT; Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham and Bristol DO NOT ask for the UKCAT, the rest do. Sheffield, Newcastle, King's and Glasgow normally want scores of 650+.

Quick Reply

Latest