The Student Room Group

apple student discount for iphone 5?

is there student discount available for iphone 5 or shall i buy it somewhere else? It seems silly to get the 4s with T-mobile if it comes to £693. I may as well get the i5 sim free for 530 and then use my own sim, right?

P.s not minted, in need of an upgrade from my crappy old nokia, deciding what to do. my heart says it's more economic sense to get the new iphone rather than an older model as the i5 will keep more of its value
Original post by jamespierce0987
is there student discount available for iphone 5 or shall i buy it somewhere else? It seems silly to get the 4s with T-mobile if it comes to £693. I may as well get the i5 sim free for 530 and then use my own sim, right?

P.s not minted, in need of an upgrade from my crappy old nokia, deciding what to do. my heart says it's more economic sense to get the new iphone rather than an older model as the i5 will keep more of its value

Apple only do student discount on Macs, Mac Software, and the retina display iPad.

Cheapest way if you're buying it outright is buying it for £529, then joining Virgin Mobile which runs off the EE (Orange/T-Mobile) network and costs £12 a month and gives you 1200 minutes, Unlimited texts and 1GB internet, or giffgaff which runs off the O2 network and costs £10 for 250 minutes, Unlimited texts and 1GB internet.
Nope, no discount on iPhones unfortunately :no:
Original post by timmy-scott
Apple only do student discount on Macs, Mac Software, and the retina display iPad.

Cheapest way if you're buying it outright is buying it for £529, then joining Virgin Mobile which runs off the EE (Orange/T-Mobile) network and costs £12 a month and gives you 1200 minutes, Unlimited texts and 1GB internet, or giffgaff which runs off the O2 network and costs £10 for 250 minutes, Unlimited texts and 1GB internet.

Is Apple's £529 the cheapest offer for sim free? I don't see the point in buying a 4S after doing the Maths. If I bought it outright, what do you reckon the value would be in 18 months?
I've seen 3 store are selling the iPhone 5 for £499.99 but I guess it isn't unlocked.
Is it me or £529 is a ridiculous price for a phone, I really want an iphone 5 but there is no way I could justify paying that much. I think Im going to get the Nexus 4.
Is Apple's £529 the cheapest offer for sim free? I don't see the point in buying a 4S after doing the Maths. If I bought it outright, what do you reckon the value would be in 18 months?

About £350-400? Can't really say because newer and much better phones may have come out, so it'd reduce the cost of your iPhone.

You could try looking around the different phone networks for the device on pay as you go and see if it'd be cheaper to buy it that way, and then get a contract sim for it, but it may be locked to certain networks if you do that.

The only main differences between the 4S and 5 is the 5 can get 4G internet (which costs too much anyway), it's slightly taller and has a slightly bigger screen, slightly faster, and allows you to take photos whilst you're recording video. Apple have an advert showing the iPhone 5 taking a panoramic photo - you can also do this on the 4S. Personally, I don't think the extra £80 is worth it. £529 is too much for the iPhone 5.
About £350-400? Can't really say because newer and much better phones may have come out, so it'd reduce the cost of your iPhone.

You could try looking around the different phone networks for the device on pay as you go and see if it'd be cheaper to buy it that way, and then get a contract sim for it, but it may be locked to certain networks if you do that.

The only main differences between the 4S and 5 is the 5 can get 4G internet (which costs too much anyway), it's slightly taller and has a slightly bigger screen, slightly faster, and allows you to take photos whilst you're recording video. Apple have an advert showing the iPhone 5 taking a panoramic photo - you can also do this on the 4S. Personally, I don't think the extra £80 is worth it. £529 is too much for the iPhone 5.

I see what you're saying. If I had a better phone than I currently have I wouldn't get an iPhone, but I'm in need of an upgrade. An iPhone 4S would total close to £700 and an iPhone I could get to total around £800. And I reckon in 18 months, the iPhone 5 will be worth more than £100 over the price of a 4S. Decisions, decisions.

Does Virgin have nano sims? They do 15% student discount, so it would only be £10.20 a month. Bringing it to around £775 for 2 years, and you could probably save more by getting rid of it after 12-18 months - if resale value was important
I see what you're saying. If I had a better phone than I currently have I wouldn't get an iPhone, but I'm in need of an upgrade. An iPhone 4S would total close to £700 and an iPhone I could get to total around £800. And I reckon in 18 months, the iPhone 5 will be worth more than £100 over the price of a 4S. Decisions, decisions.

Well it would be worth more in 18 months, as it's newer.

I'm not anti-Apple or anti-Android, I own an iPhone 4S, but I just feel that an iPhone 5 really isn't worth £529. You can get similar smartphones like the Nexus 4 for £239 (outright!) which does basically the same as the 4S, and the Samsung Galaxy S3, which is about £80-120 cheaper than the iPhone 5, is apparently much better and much more worth it.

£800, and even £700 is a lot for a phone if you're going to give it up after 18 months.
Well it would be worth more in 18 months, as it's newer.

I'm not anti-Apple or anti-Android, I own an iPhone 4S, but I just feel that an iPhone 5 really isn't worth £529. You can get similar smartphones like the Nexus 4 for £239 (outright!) which does basically the same as the 4S, and the Samsung Galaxy S3, which is about £80-120 cheaper than the iPhone 5, is apparently much better and much more worth it.

£800, and even £700 is a lot for a phone if you're going to give it up after 18 months.

I wouldn't buy the Nexus 4 because I don't trust LG. They're crap! I'll look into the S3, know where's cheap to buy it outright atm? Might even get the S2 if it's ~£250 outright. But yeah, £529 is a lot. I'm losing my mind a bit, but even looking at phones for sale on ebay, iPhones tend to keep a lot of value compared to Samsung and others

Quick Reply

Latest