The Student Room Group

Dizziness, body jerking, blurred vision, headaches, drowsiness - why??

I'm 17, in absolute perfect health with no underlying health concerns at all.

I was sat down in sixth form today and got completely dizzy for no reason, felt as if my head had been tilted sideways a little and I couldn't get my vision to go straight either. I'm pretty certain if I'd have been stood up I'd have passed out. The thing is though, I'd eaten and drank earlier so I hadn't been malnourished or dehydrated?

Also, last week I'd been getting headaches in the afternoons that lasted me all evening and they got worse when I tilted my head to look down or when I bent down etc. They weren't like migraine headaches, they weren't that bad, just dull and constant.

I'd also been getting really tired for no reason, as soon as I'd get in from school I wanted to sleep and I'd been going to bed nearly two hours earlier than usual and that's so out of my character.

I've also been jerking for no reason. Not like having a fit/seizure, I just mean sometimes my body might jerk for no reason when I'm doing something, like a leg or an arm, not a massive one just very slightly but I do notice it. I probably get it once every two days. I was talking to my teach and my entire body jerked slightly for no reason and he looked at me a bit funny and I tried to pretend it never happened... It's not the type of jerking when you think you're falling in the middle of the night, it's more of an uncontrollable jerk of just a single area that you can't feel coming or can't control but it's not as intense as the 'falling while sleeping' feeling.

I also often go completely blind and lightheaded when I stand up but I know this is common due to your body pressure changing quickly so don't think that's much to worry about.

I'm not ill, I don't have flu, fever, cold etc, I'd say these are the only 'symptoms I have' but I don't even class them as symptoms. Do you think they're related or underlying of something? I don't want to go to the Doctor because I know when I go I won't have any of these symptoms and I do generally feel absolutely fine and in perfect health. :colondollar:

I know people say go to the doctor but I just want to know if anyone has experienced this or if anyone knows why it's happening?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Do you have glasses? Maybe it's a problem with your vision. I really do recommend seeing a Doctor though.
Reply 2
Original post by pandapops

I was sat down in sixth form today and got completely dizzy for no reason, felt as if my head had been tilted sideways a little and I couldn't get my vision to go straight either. I'm pretty certain if I'd have been stood up I'd have passed out. The thing is though, I'd eaten and drank earlier so I hadn't been malnourished or dehydrated?

Also, last week I'd been getting headaches in the afternoons that lasted me all evening and they got worse when I tilted my head to look down or when I bent down etc. They weren't like migraine headaches, they weren't that bad, just dull and constant.

I'd also been getting really tired for no reason, as soon as I'd get in from school I wanted to sleep and I'd been going to bed nearly two hours earlier than usual and that's so out of my character.

I've also been jerking for no reason. Not like having a fit/seizure, I just mean sometimes my body might jerk for no reason when I'm doing something, like a leg or an arm, not a massive one just very slightly but I do notice it. I probably get it once every two days. I was talking to my teach and my entire body jerked slightly for no reason and he looked at me a bit funny and I tried to pretend it never happened... It's not the type of jerking when you think you're falling in the middle of the night, it's more of an uncontrollable jerk of just a single area that you can't feel coming or can't control but it's not as intense as the 'falling while sleeping' feeling.

I also often go completely blind and lightheaded when I stand up but I know this is common due to your body pressure changing quickly so don't think that's much to worry about.

I'm not ill, I don't have flu, fever, cold etc, I'd say these are the only 'symptoms I have' but I don't even class them as symptoms. Do you think they're related or underlying of something? I don't want to go to the Doctor because I know when I go I won't have any of these symptoms and I do generally feel absolutely fine and in perfect health. :colondollar:

I know people say go to the doctor but I just want to know if anyone has experienced this or if anyone knows why it's happening?

Go to the doctor...
Reply 3

I have mild migraines (have one today, in fact) and the headache itself is not that bad at all. But every other symptom you've said (dizziness, drowsiness, dodgy vision, even the jerking/falling sensation - along with nausea, light sensitivity) are things that I've had today. So might be worth a visit to a doctor to discuss whether a migraine is a possibility.

It's not something that happens everyday though (although I have had this twice in the past week), if this is happening to you everyday (I can't read well today, apologies) then it's unlikely to be that.

Secondly are you a vegetarian? B12 deficiency can cause similar symptoms.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Go to the doctor. And whatever you do don't google your symptoms. I guarantee it will come up with the deadliest brain tumour imaginable.
Reply 5
Have you eaten? It may be that you haven't eaten anything all day.
Try resting or going to sleep for a while.
I hope it gets better:biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Thorax
I have mild migraines (have one today, in fact) and the headache itself is not that bad at all. But every other symptom you've said (dizziness, drowsiness, dodgy vision, even the falling sensation - along with nausea, light sensitivity) are things that I've had today. So might be worth a visit to a doctor to discuss whether a migraine is a possibility.

It's not something that happens everyday though, if this is happening to you everyday (I can't read well today, apologies) then it's unlikely to be that.

Secondly are you a vegetarian? B12 deficiency can cause similar symptoms.

I'm not a vegetarian so don't think I could be lacking in B12. I don't really feel nauseous and I don't have light sensitivity either nor sensitive to sound. I was out a couple of days ago and when I was walking I found myself walking very strange almost as if I was expecting myself to fall over but I didn't, and then when I saw down my arms felt really heavy and sore as if I couldn't lift them, a bit like when you have flu but then a bit later I was fine. It's all very bizarre, it just comes and goes but most of the time I'm ok. Hence why I think I'll sound a bit stupid/like a hypochondriac if I'm at the doctor.
Reply 7
Original post by S.R
Go to the doctor. And whatever you do don't google your symptoms. I guarantee it will come up with the deadliest brain tumour imaginable.

Funny you should say that, I clairvoyant said I was going to die thanks to a brain tumour. Happily laughed that one off!
Reply 8
Original post by Armani786
Have you eaten? It may be that you haven't eaten anything all day.
Try resting or going to sleep for a while.
I hope it gets better:biggrin:

Yeah both eaten and drank which is why I found it a bit odd, oh well! Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Yeah both eaten and drank which is why I found it a bit odd, oh well! Thank you! :biggrin:

Anytime...
Hope you get well soon:biggrin:
I'd definitely book an appointment with the GP, just so you can be certain. Although your chances of having B12 deficiency are greater if you're a vegetarian, you can obviously still get it if you're not one.

I used to get something similar to what you have last year, but I've got one of those old-fashioned parents who refuses to take me to the doctors. I ended up getting weekly blackouts and fell down a flight of stairs at school because I couldn't see or hear anything, only heard the screams and the 'omg who pushed her?' after I'd hit my head into the wall at the bottom and was on the floor.

So yeah, I'd get it checked if I were you so you don't have a traumatic experience like mine. Update us on what it is - my blackouts stopped so I never did seek professional advice about it, would be interesting to know what those symptoms could potentially be.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 11
Original post by megantrace
I'd definitely book an appointment with the GP, just so you can be certain. Although your chances of having B12 deficiency are greater if you're a vegetarian, you can obviously still get it if you're not one.

I used to get something similar to what you have last year, but I've got one of those old-fashioned parents who refuses to take me to the doctors. I ended up getting weekly blackouts and fell down a flight of stairs at school because I couldn't see or hear anything, only heard the screams and the 'omg who pushed her?' after I'd hit my head into the wall at the bottom and was on the floor.

So yeah, I'd get it checked if I were you so you don't have a traumatic experience like mine. Update us on what it is - my blackouts stopped so I never did seek professional advice about it, would be interesting to know what those symptoms could potentially be.

Oh dear that sounds terrible, hope you're ok!! My 'symptoms' if you can really call them that aren't that bad, I'll see if they get any worse and I'll take it from there. Glad your blackouts stopped for you!
Reply 12
Quick update: our boiler has been playing up for a little while now and our carbon monoxide alarm has been going off all this evening. Think that's probably my culprit for feeling ill.
Feeling very lucky right now, if it wasn't for a £15 alarm, who knows what might have happened!
Reply 13
Original post by megantrace

Carbon monoxide poisoning I think - feeling very lucky at the mo!
Reply 14
Quick update: our boiler has been playing up for a little while now and our carbon monoxide alarm has been going off all this evening. Think that's probably my culprit for feeling ill.
Feeling very lucky right now, if it wasn't for a £15 alarm, who knows what might have happened!

Very glad you caught this- this makes me very scared now!

xxx
Reply 15
Original post by kpwxx
Very glad you caught this- this makes me very scared now!

xxx

It's always one of those things that you think 'oh it won't happen to me' but the scary thing is you don't know if it is happening to you and it can be making you feel ill for days and you don't know why. Reckon I'm now going to become a carbon monoxide alarm ambassador, can't stress how important they are!

So tonight, our boiler is off and all our windows are open... on the coldest night of the year!! Oh well, I'm sure we'd all rather be cold and alive! :biggrin: xxx
Reply 16

I started getting this exact same thing just over a year ago, and it got to the point where it was happening every single day, and where the migraines were so bad that I couldn't see. I went to my doctor and they did all sorts of tests and couldn't find anything wrong, but please do go and see yours, as it could be something serious! I still get them now, but only about twice a week, and I think they're starting to get worse again :frown: but as I said, please go to your GP as soon as you can (you could try and get one of those appointments where you ring up in the morning and get one for that day) and explain everything, no matter how insignificant you think it is. Also, make a diary of when it happens, what you ate, how stressed you were feeling, how much sleep you got, etc. Message me if you want any more information, I hope this helps, and that you're okay! :smile:
Reply 17
Quick update: our boiler has been playing up for a little while now and our carbon monoxide alarm has been going off all this evening. Think that's probably my culprit for feeling ill. Feeling very lucky right now, if it wasn't for a £15 alarm, who knows what might have happened!
It's funny you can get a cheap monoxide detector but a handheld one to measure the amount in your breath costs many times that. :confused:
Reply 18
Original post by Coffinman
It's funny you can get a cheap monoxide detector but a handheld one to measure the amount in your breath costs many times that. :confused:

I guess it's because they'll generally be more in the air for the household alarm hence why it's cheaper as it's less technology, a bit like a smoke detector I guess.
I guess the ones to measure your breath require a lot more technology hence why they're primarily only used by people in medicine since they cost so much!

Quick Reply

Latest