The Student Room Group

Actuarial Science chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fanta123
What are your as grades/ predicted grades if you don't mind me asking?

5A's at as, pred is 2*'s and 3A's
Reply 261
Hey, anyone heard back from LSE yet?
Original post by nia9798
Hey, anyone heard back from LSE yet?

yes! heard back this afternoon. AAA offer. wbu?
Reply 263
No not yet
Reply 264
Hi cass graduate here been working now as an actuarial analyst in a life office for a year.
I thought i would give some advice since this site has helped me alot.
First only choose actuarial sceince if you are sure that you want to be an actuary because the course is hard and only a few people get 8 exemptions.
I.e the are easier routes into actuarial like econ,maths which have more exit routes.
My advice is make sure you get an internship in your second year as this will make job hunting easier. Trust me the entry level competition is fierce !!

The job itself has a great work life balance (for the pay)and is very intresting. The exams are intense (a lot of smart people fail ) but are do able if you prepare well in advance

As for uni's i would say lse has the best career options because of the reputation. The Lse course is very theoretical (exams only) whlist cass is more practical and has assesments split between exams and coursework.Cass has some vba and actuarial software courses which will put you a step ahead of others when you start work.

All in all you are likely to get a job if you go to cass or lse, most people i know got a job.
But if you can probably, go to lse because the reputation allows you to go into other fields more than cass which is specific to actuarial
(edited 8 years ago)
I am going to apply for university on actuarial science course. Any suggestion of university for me?

Southampton, Heriot Watt, Manchester, Kent any comment on these university?
Original post by jianyuchen98
I am going to apply for university on actuarial science course. Any suggestion of university for me?

Southampton, Heriot Watt, Manchester, Kent any comment on these university?

Southampton! Im doing BSc maths with something (not actuarial though) but most of my friends are doing maths and actsci so I can vouch for soton. By the end of your degree you will be able to get 8 exemptions (or is it 7?) which is a lot of headstart (provided you want to go do iofa qualification thing). Teaching staff for actuarial courses are (mostly) very intelligent and friendly people that are really helpful. But what people dont know before coming to uni is that it is really hard to get exempted for all 7/8 of them because you gotta get like 60% to get these exemptions and actuarial modules are so much harder than normal modules I think. And the city itself is nice as well, its not too small or too big!

Heriott Watt I am not really sure about their bachelor actsci but I imagine it would be around the same with soton. I think soton and hwu are supporting each other uni or something because as soton graduates i am qualified to get alumni discount in hwu for some reasons. So i think the quality is around the same. But hwu is fantastic for their masters.

Im not sure about the others.
Reply 267
Hey so I was just wondering how much maths is involved in a daily basis as an actuary? Also, would you recommend doing a maths degree and then training to be an actuary later on or doing a degree in actuarial science?
In Southampton, depends if you do it from econ side or math side. Im not sure about econ but you dont do a lot of maths in the first two (or maybe just the first?) years. But math with actsci, you get a hell lot of math because although you do actsci, the main degree is still math. Im not trying to scare you but im pretty sure people who do math with actsci do maybe only 3 (compulsory) modules that arent math for the whole of your degree because do remember that if you want to get those 8 exemptions you need to do maybe around 8 specialized modules to just complete that exemptions, not including the prereqs. Think of it this way, I do MORSE in Southampton (so not actuarial, we have much wider options than any maths course) and I only do 6 modules that arent math in which 3 of them are compulsory. If youre scared of the maths, i dont recommend doing actuarial. BUT if you quite enjoy maths then act sci is going to be just fine. Even I quite regret not doing actsci now; the course is that good and actsci is really interesting. Sure its horrible but then theres going to be people in the same boat with you so all good.
Reply 269
Original post by snapsh0t
In Southampton, depends if you do it from econ side or math side. Im not sure about econ but you dont do a lot of maths in the first two (or maybe just the first?) years. But math with actsci, you get a hell lot of math because although you do actsci, the main degree is still math. Im not trying to scare you but im pretty sure people who do math with actsci do maybe only 3 (compulsory) modules that arent math for the whole of your degree because do remember that if you want to get those 8 exemptions you need to do maybe around 8 specialized modules to just complete that exemptions, not including the prereqs. Think of it this way, I do MORSE in Southampton (so not actuarial, we have much wider options than any maths course) and I only do 6 modules that arent math in which 3 of them are compulsory. If youre scared of the maths, i dont recommend doing actuarial. BUT if you quite enjoy maths then act sci is going to be just fine. Even I quite regret not doing actsci now; the course is that good and actsci is really interesting. Sure its horrible but then theres going to be people in the same boat with you so all good.

Thanks, I actually really enjoy maths and it just seemed that in most careers you don't use high level maths like this.
Original post by NT226
Thanks, I actually really enjoy maths and it just seemed that in most careers you don't use high level maths like this.

No worries. No they dont not really they just use some packages and softwares but its really handy knowing how everythinn is done in the software! Good luck for your applications!
University of Kent, Queen Mary, university of Leicester or Heriot watt (for actuary science/ actuary science with maths).
Out of these universities which one is best for actuarial science overall (including the quality of the actuary course).

Would like a quick response please.
Thanks a lot.

P.S. Don't mind about the maths content as I do love maths so doesn't matter if there's more maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello,

Heriot-Watt University here :ciao:

Our Department of Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics was the first of its kind in the UK and is one of the world’s leading centres for teaching and research in these areas. 95% of our Actuarial Science graduates gain employment or go on to further study within six months.

Here are the top reasons to choose Heriot-Watt University for Actuarial Science -

Go Global! - Actuarial Science students at Heriot-Watt can take advantage of our international campuses by studying at our Malaysia campus :dance:for a semester or a year, while still benefitting from the same accreditation by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries as in Edinburgh, with the chance to gain the same professional exemptions.

PwC Actuarial Flying Start Programme - the opportunity of a lifetime! The programme offers, uniquely to Heriot-Watt University’s Actuarial Science students, two paid six-month work placements at PwC during your studies. Successful applicants join PwC’s actuarial team in London and work directly with their clients. PwC are known for their outstanding graduate training, and if students do well they could also get a job offer for when they graduate!

Our BSc in Actuarial Science and Diploma in Industrial Training - this degree is unique in that it combines the rigorous studies of the BSc (Hons) Actuarial Science programme with a year-long work placement. Lasting five years, this Honours programme is longer than standard. Good performance means students can gain exemptions from professional examinations (CT1-CT8) as well as 12 months’ experience of working in an organisation such as a life insurance company, a pension consultancy, an investment management firm or a bank. The work placement helps you to develop specific work-related skills, giving you the opportunity to apply and build upon the theory you learn in your studies.It allows you to take on real responsibilities, enhance your interpersonal skills through teamwork and communication and experience workplace culture

As the first department to offer a BSc in Actuarial Science in the UK, we have over 40 years of experience in delivering excellence.We have a worldwide community of alumni professionals who attest to our standards, and our actuarial regarded throughout the actuarial world.

Around 30% of our teaching staff are qualified actuaries, and the department includes one of the world’s leading research centres in actuarial science. Our actuaries are complemented by leading mathematicians, financial mathematicians and statisticians, who are nationally and internationally recognised for their research. This ensures that teaching is practical and relevant to the real working world.

Students’ Actuarial Society - entirely managed, enthusiastically and professionally by our Actuarial Science students. With over 250 members, it is one of the largest societies dedicated to actuarial studies in the UK. Regular conferences, professional development and networking events with leading actuaries keep members up-to-date with the profession and in a prime position to begin their careers.

Edinburgh is a wonderful place to work and study and offers access to the second largest financial hub in the UK.

In the words of Tina Turner, we are 'simply the best' :lol::lol::lol:

https://www.hw.ac.uk/undergraduate/discipline/actuarial-mathematics-statistics.htm
(edited 7 years ago)
Any actuarial science students would like to share their resources and materials ?Im first year AS student and need some extra reference to enhance in this course,thanks so much!!
Hi guys. Could you please tell me the difference between an actuarial manager and a chief actuary? Like where they work, what their typical working days are like,...
Original post by Actsiz
Hi cass graduate here been working now as an actuarial analyst in a life office for a year.
I thought i would give some advice since this site has helped me alot.
First only choose actuarial sceince if you are sure that you want to be an actuary because the course is hard and only a few people get 8 exemptions.
I.e the are easier routes into actuarial like econ,maths which have more exit routes.
My advice is make sure you get an internship in your second year as this will make job hunting easier. Trust me the entry level competition is fierce !!

The job itself has a great work life balance (for the pay)and is very intresting. The exams are intense (a lot of smart people fail ) but are do able if you prepare well in advance

As for uni's i would say lse has the best career options because of the reputation. The Lse course is very theoretical (exams only) whlist cass is more practical and has assesments split between exams and coursework.Cass has some vba and actuarial software courses which will put you a step ahead of others when you start work.

All in all you are likely to get a job if you go to cass or lse, most people i know got a job.
But if you can probably, go to lse because the reputation allows you to go into other fields more than cass which is specific to actuarial

What do you think of MORSE at the University of Warwick?
Original post by buixuantruong
Hi guys. Could you please tell me the difference between an actuarial manager and a chief actuary? Like where they work, what their typical working days are like,...

Hi Buixuantruong,

A little late, but thought I'd try to reply to your question.

A Chief Actuary of a company bears ultimate responsibility for signing off assumptions used for an actuarial valuation, the results of a valuation, assumptions used to price an insurance product etc. He/she is at the top of their respective professsion and tends to sit on the Board (or at least is in attendance at Board meetings).

An actuarial manager is a fairly generic term that can mean different things depending on the company. It usually refers to a fully qualfied actuary who has some responsibility for managing a team within an actuarial function. I have however seen some people whose title read actuarial manager but who, in fact, didn't actually manage anyone.

In short, Chief Actuaries are very senior, experienced actuaries at the top of their profession. Actuarial managers tend to be (relatively) junior qualified actuaries.
Original post by Moonp1g
Hi Buixuantruong,

A little late, but thought I'd try to reply to your question.

A Chief Actuary of a company bears ultimate responsibility for signing off assumptions used for an actuarial valuation, the results of a valuation, assumptions used to price an insurance product etc. He/she is at the top of their respective professsion and tends to sit on the Board (or at least is in attendance at Board meetings).

An actuarial manager is a fairly generic term that can mean different things depending on the company. It usually refers to a fully qualfied actuary who has some responsibility for managing a team within an actuarial function. I have however seen some people whose title read actuarial manager but who, in fact, didn't actually manage anyone.

In short, Chief Actuaries are very senior, experienced actuaries at the top of their profession. Actuarial managers tend to be (relatively) junior qualified actuaries.

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I'm looking for :smile: By the way, how long have you worked as an actuary?
Hi folks,

Thought I would give you a heads up for an event we have coming up at Heriot-Watt. Our Actuarial academic Dr Gavin Reid is giving an online seminar on Facebook. If you are interested in Actuarial Science and what Actuaries do then it might be worth watching Gavin live.

Insuring Sports Stars with Actuary Gavin Reid
Wed 14th Dec, 11am

If you are interested to hear how Actuaries insure sports stars have a look at our events page here.

https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/meet-us/online-events.htm

Cheers,
Keir :smile:
Original post by buixuantruong
Thank you so much. This is exactly what I'm looking for :smile: By the way, how long have you worked as an actuary?

No problem! I've been working for nearly 6 years now. I started out working for a large life company in Surrey and now work in Hong Kong for another life insurer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest