The Student Room Group

BA Fine Art 2016 applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlwaysAwake
Well, personally I just loved it as an institution! The course is very conceptually driven and that is what my work is all about. I really liked the students I had contact with and the studio spaces are lovely with fantastic views! You are given your own studio space from day one which is another great plus.

Another factor was that my favourite artist went there to do her MA so that also attracted me to it.

I'm not that upset really, I can always apply again for my MA if I decide to do one.

Yeah. CSM is still an incredibly well respected university for art. Plus some of my artist friends say that where you do your MA is more important than where you do your BA. Plus CSM's location is fantastic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Artstudentstress
Yeah. CSM is still an incredibly well respected university for art. Plus some of my artist friends say that where you do your MA is more important than where you do your BA. Plus CSM's location is fantastic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile:
The only thing about CSM that I'm slightly anxious about is the studio space as I don't think anyone gets their own allocated space and you just have to kinda claim one when you need one? Not sure....
Reply 282
Original post by AlwaysAwake
:smile:
The only thing about CSM that I'm slightly anxious about is the studio space as I don't think anyone gets their own allocated space and you just have to kinda claim one when you need one? Not sure....

Yeah that is true you just have to use the studios as like a first come first serve basis for space but I've been told by friend who study all around London that it's the same everywhere
Just recieved an offer from newcastle uni! Anyone else?
Reply 284
Original post by Jm9900
hey sorry for randomly asking but is anybody doing fine art at csm? I've looked everywhere to see if anyone has picked it!

I am! Joining the Fine Art CSM club :smile:
Original post by veama_
has anyone applied to Fine Art at Falmouth or Critical practice at Brighton?? i got offers from both but don't know which course to go to ;//

I applied to Falmouth and got an offer, but I'm not sure if I'll be going!
So I got rejected from the course at Chelsea and said they'll consider me at Wimbledon! Someone from the admissions team emailed me to let me know and that he wanted to contact me for an over the phone interview yet I haven't from them again. It's been exactly a month, I've emailed them yet still no response :frown:
Reply 287
Original post by veama_
has anyone applied to Fine Art at Falmouth or Critical practice at Brighton?? i got offers from both but don't know which course to go to ;//

I applied to both, got a conditional offer from Falmouth and an unconditional from Brighton.

I think it depends on what sort of art you're interested in. Falmouth seemed more practical to me and the art they did seemed rather 'normal' in that there was a lot of painting, drawing, and other traditional things there. They also take students from both A-level and Foundation, so begin the course with a foundation-type rotation to help everyone learn different techniques. So if you're doing a foundation now, you may find the first few weeks of the course a bit slow?

Brighton's Critical Practise course seemed very very unique and a bit out there in terms of its structure. It's very conceptually based with a lot of emphasis on ideas and 'why' you make art the way you do. They also have a placement in the second year which is a good form of 'work experience' for a artist residency. The Critical Practise course on its own is also very small with only 20 students so tutorials are more common than other large courses - although there are all the other fine art (painting, sculpture, etc) students too, so there will be plenty of arty people on campus.

So I think it's up to your preference! :smile:
Original post by Kasia1259
Just recieved an offer from newcastle uni! Anyone else?

Yess!!! Are you going to firm them??
I AM!!!!
Original post by Art.s
Is ANYBODY going Loughborough for fine art?
Original post by elist0ne
Yess!!! Are you going to firm them??

I firmed :smile:
Reply 291
I've applied to do a short course at the Slade summer school this July but am slightly confused by the application process. Is it really competitive? Am I guaranteed a place once I send my financial details? How long do they take to reply to my application? Sorry if I sound dim but wonder if any of you could shed some light on this?
Reply 292
Original post by Kt.96
I've applied to do a short course at the Slade summer school this July but am slightly confused by the application process. Is it really competitive? Am I guaranteed a place once I send my financial details? How long do they take to reply to my application? Sorry if I sound dim but wonder if any of you could shed some light on this?

Hey! I have applied to the Summer School Foundation.They didn't ask me for any portfolio to review so I don't think it's very competitive. I think the place is guaranteed once you pay the fee, as long as they still have places. It took them about five days to reply to me...
Reply 293
Original post by Zhiwei
Hey! I have applied to the Summer School Foundation.They didn't ask me for any portfolio to review so I don't think it's very competitive. I think the place is guaranteed once you pay the fee, as long as they still have places. It took them about five days to reply to me...

Thanks! That's so helpful! Xx
Is anyone doing Art at Reading uni?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
AVOID THESE RACISTS! Chelsea

(CSM is fine, along with the other UAL colleges from what I hear anyway)
Chelsea is not a college you would like to attend if you are an ethnic student.

I sold out my degree show.

But they failed my course.

The reason they gave was that my knowledge of art is "paper tiger". The tutor actually wrote this on my dissertation review.

Paper Tiger is a term originated by Chairman Mao in 1956.
I am a Chinese student.

They refused to remark/refund my tuition fees. I am now without a degree because of their racism.

This is not a place you want to go. I advise against going here. Unless you want to become indoctrinated to be racist.

Quick Reply

Latest