The Student Room Group

Where y'all applying to for 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I visited Strathclyde last year,

Thought it was a bit of a dump - photocopied pieces of paper rather than the carefully thought out welcome packs you get from the other uni's.

The staff also looked like they had slept in their suits, and for an engineering department - the building didn't look in great shape.

I can happily say it's my 5th choice... lol...
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
Hiya :awesome:

I'm loving this Pharmacy Chat :teeth:

I studied Biology at St. Andrews this year and now moving onto study Pharmacy at RGU :biggrin: (moving out next week :gasp:).

St. Andrews' chemistry department, as you may imagine, is extremly competitive. They not only look for high grades but a strong/keen PS. So if they get the vibes you're not fully into Chemistry they may reject you. St. Andrews does offer a "Chemistry with Pharmacology" degree though. So if you apply for that it may cover up the Pharmacy-related stuff in your PS better.
-But if you're thinking "I just want to do a Chemistry degree.." then don't worry, when you apply to study a subject at St. Andrews it isn't set in stone.. you can change your entire degree if you wanted to (provided you take the relevant modules) so a pure chemistry degree is doable. :fluffy:
You like pretty Universities? Then you'll deffinetly love St. Andrews :yep: (assuming you haven't visited already).

and btw,

Use not visiting RGU? :puppyeyes: I didn't like Strathclyde either.. but I'm not really that keen on Glasgow in general..

Aha. Strategic. I like it. Right then, I shall do that. Thanks! :smile: I think I'd most like a career in the pharmaceutical industry anyway, which is relevant to chemistry as well. Wouldn't mind chemistry with pharmacology actually, as long as they let me do a module in German. I love German, I miss doing it this year. :bawling:

Haven't visited St Andrew's but my friend's seen it and says it's gorgeous, and I trust her taste. Guess I should do that for Edinburgh as well. Really fancy that year abroad though. Again, german modules and transfer. Battle plan sorted. :lol: Now I just need offers.
I'm applying for Maths to:

St. Andrews
Warwick
Durham
Oxford
Bath/Edinburgh (not sure yet)

Got 5 A's so I hope I get unconditionals at the Scottish uni's I apply to!
Reply 23
St Andrews is amazing tbh. It helps I went on a sunny (but bone-chillingly cold) day :smile:.
Reply 24
Anyone been to herriot- watt Edinburgh Campus???

, quite interested to find out what it's like? Going there at the end of the month?
Reply 25
Original post by laughylolly
I'm applying for Maths to:

St. Andrews
Warwick
Durham
Oxford
Bath/Edinburgh (not sure yet)

Got 5 A's so I hope I get unconditionals at the Scottish uni's I apply to!

I was thinking about applying for Maths at St.Andrews but i only got AAABB, what's your first choice?
Original post by dufc_gurj
Got AAAAB, hoping to apply for Accountancy at:

Glasgow
Strathclyde
Dundee
Edinburgh
Aberdeen

What are the chances that i would get a few unconditionals??

Chances are you'll get 5 unconditionals if you have a good personal statement. I applied for accounts at 2 of those and business at another 2, had AAABB and got 4 unconditionals. I didn't apply to Aberdeen.
Reply 27
Original post by dufc_gurj
Got AAAAB, hoping to apply for Accountancy at:

Glasgow
Strathclyde
Dundee
Edinburgh
Aberdeen

What are the chances that i would get a few unconditionals??

Im applying for accountancy too :smile: but im only applying to dundee because i cant afford to move away.

I would say you're pretty much guaranteed unconditionals for dundee, aberdeen, strathclyde. Edinburgh will most likely be a lot harder to get into, it says on the prospectus that 15% of applicants get in, but you've got the grades so it just depends on your personal statement
I got 5 As in my Highers and 7 SG 1s and an A at Int 2 French.

I'm applying to:

Oxford - PPE
Glasgow - Politics + Economics
St Andrews (maybe) - International Relations + Economics
Edinburgh (maybe, open day will settle it) - Politics + Economics
LSE (again, a possibility) - Government + Economics

:smile:
Original post by Evan7788
I was thinking about applying for Maths at St.Andrews but i only got AAABB, what's your first choice?

I don't really have a first choice as such. I really wouldn't mind going to any of those. Of course I would love to get into Oxford but I'd be just as happy to get into Durham, Bath or Warwick, even St. Andrews. St Andrews will be like my insurance I guess, only because the entry requirements are lower than the rest.

As far as I know typical offers for the rest (all AH) -
Durham A1 (Maths) AA
Warwick A1 (Maths) A and 2 in STEP
Oxford A1 (Maths) AB
Edinburgh AAA (for 2nd year entry) and I think for 1st year entry it's pretty much the same as St Andrews?

So they vary I guess. Taking a bit of a risk with the English unis because their entry requirements are quite high but I would rather aim high and get in somewhere I want to go than play it too safe.
Reply 30
I'm applying to Oxford, Edinburgh, Glasgow, probably Durham and probably Dundee (dual qualifying course I think!). However, I have a stack of prospectuses that I would like to work through! :smile:
Original post by Albertine
I'm applying to Oxford, Edinburgh, Glasgow, probably Durham and probably Dundee (dual qualifying course I think!). However, I have a stack of prospectuses that I would like to work through! :smile:

Durham is lovelllyy! Not too far from Scotland either, but far enough =) I'm still debating on what college to apply to... stuck between Grey and St. Aidan's.
Original post by Armaros
I'm looking to apply for pharmacy at:

King's College London

EXCELLENT choice! :tongue:

Original post by aspirinpharmacist

You should also consider KCL. Not that I am hugely bias or anything :tongue:.

It's a bit weird seeing people just at the beginning of the UCAS cycle when I've just finished it (especially my friends in my year as lots of them are going to open days and are doing general research while I'm about to start uni). Anyway good luck everyone!
(edited 12 years ago)
French/Italian at Glasgow, Edinburgh and St. Andrews, and HND Classical Music at Stevenson College, which is hopefully where I'll be heading :biggrin: (I know that seems a bit strange seeing as I've got 5 As so am likely to get unconditionals for unis, but I have my reasons!)
Original post by christielovesyou
French/Italian at Glasgow, Edinburgh and St. Andrews, and HND Classical Music at Stevenson College, which is hopefully where I'll be heading :biggrin: (I know that seems a bit strange seeing as I've got 5 As so am likely to get unconditionals for unis, but I have my reasons!)

Why not music courses at university level? :smile:
None that suit your taste?
Original post by Ecosse_14
Why not music courses at university level? :smile:
None that suit your taste?

Because I want to have a career in classical performance (or tutoring), so really a conservatoire degree is more for me - universities tend to be a lot more academic, and a lot of Emerging Artists for opera companies and things like that won't take you with a degree from a university rather than a conservatoire. So the HND is really a time-filler/general-skill-improver, as being a singer, I really need to take a few years out before my BMus. :smile:
Reply 36
So Nobody has any experience/knowledge of Herriot Watt?
Original post by christielovesyou
Because I want to have a career in classical performance (or tutoring), so really a conservatoire degree is more for me - universities tend to be a lot more academic, and a lot of Emerging Artists for opera companies and things like that won't take you with a degree from a university rather than a conservatoire. So the HND is really a time-filler/general-skill-improver, as being a singer, I really need to take a few years out before my BMus. :smile:

Fair enough, good luck!

Original post by Inlineadam
So Nobody has any experience/knowledge of Herriot Watt?

Look here :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Ecosse_14
Fair enough, good luck!

Look here :smile:

Cheers:smile:

I notice you are a PS helper, can i fire off a first draft of my statement to you for your opinion? Or is there a forum/place i should be posting...

Adam
Original post by Inlineadam
Cheers:smile:

I notice you are a PS helper, can i fire off a first draft of my statement to you for your opinion? Or is there a forum/place i should be posting...

Adam

Post it in the most appropriate PS help forum. If you don't know which one your subject belongs to, ask me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest