The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University TSR Open Week (February 20th to 24th)

Fred, Rebecca and Sarah from Lancaster University’s student recruitment team will be answering your questions about studying at Lancaster live on The Student Room between Monday 20th and Friday 24th February 2012.

Simply post your questions within this chat thread and a member of the team will respond to you during the open week.

In the meantime you can also visit our website or connect with us on Facebook too.

We look forward to answering your questions about Lancaster!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How big is the campus? I mean, does it take a day and an age to walk from one side to another :P
Just wondering if you had a lecture on one side but your dorm was on the other :')
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Sockhead
How big is the campus? I mean, does it take a day and an age to walk from one side to another :P
Just wondering if you had a lecture on one side but your dorm was on the other :')

It takes no longer than 20 minutes to walk from one side of campus to the other. :smile:
I was in Furness College [very central], so I had a maximum walk of 10 minutes in any one direction whilst on campus. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by affinity89
It takes no longer than 20 minutes to walk from one side of campus to the other. :smile:
I was in Furness College [very central], so I had a maximum walk of 10 minutes in any one direction whilst on campus. :smile:

Thanks very much :smile:
Sounding pretty good so far!
Hi Sockhead,

Thanks for being the first person to post a question on our thread! Our campus is pretty large, about 360 acres, but you can walk round it really quickly using our famous 'spine' walkway that runs from the top to the bottom. To find out more have a look at http://www.lancs.ac.uk/about-us/our-campus/

Or why not pay us a visit? See here for our next visit days: http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/visit-days-and-campus-tours/

All the best,

Fred
Reply 5
hi, I want to know if university accommodation is available to move in during early September. thx

Robert
Hi lihao198808,

Thanks for your question. Sometimes it is possible to arrive a few days earlier on campus but I think you should get in touch with our Accommodation office. Their enquiry hotline is 01524 592525.

If you want to find out more about the types of accommodation we have on offer at Lancaster - have a look here:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/accommodation/

All the best,

Fred
Hi, I am considering firming Lancaster BSc Economics (Study Abroad), very excited to see the campus this weekend.

One question I haven't had a definite answer on yet is the system of first year minors at Lancaster; what choices are available to me? In particular I have an interest in taking a minor in Physics or Accountancy, considering my degree choice would this be possible?

Another question regarding my course would be about fees; is my year abroad paid to Lancaster at the same rate (£9000) as the other years, or is there a different rate?

Finally, I have a dual offer (AAA or AAB for Economics without study abroad), if I select Lancaster as my firm and only achieve AAB, am I given the option to go to my insurance choice?

Many thanks,
Ross
Reply 8
I'm coming to an open day in a couple weeks, will it be possible to browse the colleges?

I want to live in a college that has ensuite rooms. But I'd also like a nice view from my room, so perhaps preferably on the outskirts of the campus rather than the centre. Nothing is more motivating to me than a window overlooking nice scenery. I like the feeling of being able to step out the door and into the countryside. I like hiking etc. Only downside is that some people on here have said that the more isolated colleges mean a ridiculous walk to get to the majority of places, and are also socially inactive comparative to the others.
Reply 9
Original post by Sockhead

The longest distance on campus is from county to cartmel and is probably a 20 minute walk however most lectures are more central than that and no more than 10 minutes apart.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by North Irelandman
Hi, I am considering firming Lancaster BSc Economics (Study Abroad), very excited to see the campus this weekend.

One question I haven't had a definite answer on yet is the system of first year minors at Lancaster; what choices are available to me? In particular I have an interest in taking a minor in Physics or Accountancy, considering my degree choice would this be possible?

Another question regarding my course would be about fees; is my year abroad paid to Lancaster at the same rate (£9000) as the other years, or is there a different rate?

Finally, I have a dual offer (AAA or AAB for Economics without study abroad), if I select Lancaster as my firm and only achieve AAB, am I given the option to go to my insurance choice?

Many thanks,
Ross

I study physics and we have minor students, most from a maths related subject. I don't know the requirements to take it as a minor but you will have to be comfortable with maths.
Hi Ross,

Wow - thanks for all the questions - you're not a mystery shopper are you!?

Firstly, great to hear that you're coming to the Management School Post- Application Open Day. I hope you have a good visit and well done on getting two offers! We've had nearly 18,000 applications this year so you must have submitted a really strong application. At the event on Saturday you'll be able to find out in your subject talk more about the combinations of subjects you can take alongside Economics. There are lots of possibilities but it depends on your timetable in the first year and space in the other subject areas. If you decide to come to us in October during 'Intro Week' you'll be able to register for your other Part 1 (first year) courses, attend introductory lectures and find out more about what you can combine. Sorry I can't be more specific but our degrees are very flexible.

Secondly,with regards to your question 'is my year abroad paid to Lancaster at the same rate (£9000) as the other years, or is there a different rate?' - we're still finalising what the fees will be for studying abroad. In the past we have charged students half-fee for the year abroad and nothing to the host institution but we're awaiting a confirmation about this shortly. We'll be putting some more info up on our website shortly so keep your eyes peeled.

Finally, I'm not sure I understand you question about the offer and your firm and insurance choice etc...? The study abroad offer is higher at AAA and if you make this your firm choice and Economics AAB as your insurance, then get AAB you'll still come to Lancaster. Due to the number of applications we've had this year though you will need to meet the grades we specify in our offer to whatever course from Lancaster you put as your firm or insurance choice. Does this answer your question? If not get back in touch with me on this thread!

All the best,

Fred
What are the employment prospects like for Politics and International Relations students?
Original post by Newky
I'm coming to an open day in a couple weeks, will it be possible to browse the colleges?

I want to live in a college that has ensuite rooms. But I'd also like a nice view from my room, so perhaps preferably on the outskirts of the campus rather than the centre. Nothing is more motivating to me than a window overlooking nice scenery. I like the feeling of being able to step out the door and into the countryside. I like hiking etc. Only downside is that some people on here have said that the more isolated colleges mean a ridiculous walk to get to the majority of places, and are also socially inactive comparative to the others.

Hi Newky,

Well if you're looking for 'a room with a view' our campus is the right place! We've have award winning accommodation on campus, loads of en-suite rooms and you'll get the chance to look at some of it when you visit. Have a look here to find out more (there's even a video guide etc)...http://www.lancs.ac.uk/sbs/accommodation/undergraduate.html

Although you may have heard some of our college are isolated - that's not true. You can walk from Cartmel College, Alexandra Park, the southern most 'tip' of campus to County College, the northern most tip, in about 20 minutes max. It's true that some Colleges are further away from academic departments than others but you choose your college separately from your department so have a look at our campus map online to find the one nearest to you that fits your brief!

All the best,

Fred
Reply 14
Hi
I have a couple of questions about accommodation.

All first year students have a place available on campus at their college, but I was wondering about the second year when everyone gets turfed out to find local accommodation. What is the market like for student housing in Lancaster? Pricey & hard to find or is there a reasonable amount of choice? I read somewhere that Freshers should get their second year accommodation sorted out within the first month or find all the good places taken, surely this can't be true, can it?

Also with the campus being out of town, what's travelling like to the campus, the blurb says it's only 2 miles out of Lancaster, which makes it seem an easy walk or bike ride but do the hills,wind and rain make a bus pass a wise investment?
Original post by nerimon18
What are the employment prospects like for Politics and International Relations students?

Hi Nerimon18,

A very good question; although going to university isn't all about getting a job we certainly know it's a big concern for prospective students and that you want to get one when you graduate!

Firstly let me assure you that Lancaster does lots to help students develop their skills and abilities, through our courses and other activities helping you to become a highly employable graduate. Last year 92% of our graduates were in a job or further study within the first 6 months of leaving us.

Secondly, studying Politics and International Relations will help you develop skills in all sorts of areas, for example, presenting, report writing, analysing sources, working in a team which you can apply to the graduate jobs market. Outside of your course you could take part in our Lancaster Award, a scheme we run here to help students become even more employablehttp://www.lancs.ac.uk/careers/award/

Or.....you could get involved with our volunteering unit, LUSU Involve, which also helps to develop great transferable skills:

http://involve.lusu.co.uk/

All the best,

Fred
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi, are there any special accommodation open days after you've received an offer where you can look around the accommodation in order to decide which one to apply for?
Hi Stacy,

Just to let you know, I'm a current student here at Lancaster and not everbody gets 'turfed out' in the second year! You do have to start looking around December time but you will usually know who you want to live with by then, and the university helps you to find accomodation for your second year. For example, each college runs a housing talk in November/December each year which talks about all of the different accomodation options and they're really informative. The students' union have their own dedicated student housing team and you can find out more about them by following this link http://housing.lusu.co.uk/; and there are also a number of private companies such as Yellow Doors http://www.yellowdoorlets.co.uk/

The off-campus housing is not expensive at all it averages around £70-£85 a week.

There are indeed lots of places en route to town where you can live that you could walk from, but if you were to live right in the city centre I would suggest cycling or a bus pass. There is a dedicated cycle path and bus passes are really good value which you can see here: http://www.stagecoachbus.com/tickets.aspx?action=&sid=&product_id=2&location_id=4&university_id=21

All the best,
Sarah.
Hi Villagegirl,

No there are no specific accomodation days, but if you come on any of our campus tours, we show rooms on those. For dates of our tours please see: http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/visit-days-and-campus-tours/campus-tours-and-booking-form/

As well as that, there are videos and pictures of all our different types of accomodation available on our accomodation homepage: http://www.lancs.ac.uk/sbs/accommodation/undergraduate.html

All the best,
Sarah.
Original post by Lancaster University

Finally, I'm not sure I understand you question about the offer and your firm and insurance choice etc...? The study abroad offer is higher at AAA and if you make this your firm choice and Economics AAB as your insurance, then get AAB you'll still come to Lancaster. Due to the number of applications we've had this year though you will need to meet the grades we specify in our offer to whatever course from Lancaster you put as your firm or insurance choice. Does this answer your question? If not get back in touch with me on this thread!

Hi thanks for the quick response, the online open week idea is brilliant and hopefully a lot of people will benefit from it!

Anyway with the point in case, I have one offer for Economics (Study Abroad) which has alternate conditions of AAB to place me in the regular Economics course (without a year abroad). This is only one choice on UCAS and I was just wondering if I would be accepting to go to Lancaster if I achieved either of these grade sets, or if I would be allowed to go to my insurance if I miss out on AAA for whatever reason. I'm sure the tutors at the LUMS open day will be able to offer an insight, so don't worry if that query is a bit specific :tongue:

Whilst I hold Lancaster highly for it's study abroad course and (hopefully) great campus and area, do you have any comments about how employers see Lancaster University? I know it is a 'Top 10 UK Uni' of recent years, and LUMS is highly ranked also, but has this brought notably better job prospects for graduates in the finance / banking side of things? Just of particular interest to me whether I should consider investment banking a possibility.

Quick Reply

Latest