The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8240
Original post by wcp100
My maths has got a lot better I think. STEP is getting easier (less than impossible) so it can't be too bad. I'm self teaching M4 at the minute for funsies.

How have you managed to finish M1-3 already?! I too have found that compared to just a few months ago, STEP I questions seem very approachable, even easy (dare I say it!), though I can't say the same about STEP II. I wish you good luck for results day.
Original post by und
How have you managed to finish M1-3 already?! I too have found that compared to just a few months ago, STEP I questions seem very approachable, even easy (dare I say it!), though I can't say the same about STEP II. I wish you good luck for results day.

Well I already new a lot of M1 and M2. M3 I did odd questions in each chapters and now I'm doing M4..surprisingly well. Honestly a lot of the stuff is intuition with a bit of knowledge....
Reply 8242
Original post by wcp100
Well I already new a lot of M1 and M2. M3 I did odd questions in each chapters and now I'm doing M4..surprisingly well. Honestly a lot of the stuff is intuition with a bit of knowledge....

I agree that it's mainly intuition: I find the hardest part of Mechanics questions to be writing down my working rather than a couple of numbers followed by the answer, or even just the answer on its own if a question is particularly easy. Having said that I know seven people in the year above with Cambridge offers and even they're not finding some parts of M4 that easy. Which topic are you up to so far?
Original post by und
I agree that it's mainly intuition: I find the hardest part of Mechanics questions to be writing down my working rather than a couple of numbers followed by the answer, or even just the answer on its own if a question is particularly easy. Having said that I know seven people in the year above with Cambridge offers and even they're not finding some parts of M4 that easy. Which topic are you up to so far?

I do that all the time. Drives my maths teacher around the bend:tongue:
I'm doing collisions in two dimensions at the moment. Can't wait to do the next two chapters though. I'll have to remember all my differential equation knowledge:tongue:
Original post by Appeal to reason
Hello and welcome to the next installment of the thread! :biggrin:

Get talking! :colone:

Subjects:
Additional further maths Silent--ly, Star-girl
Biology Karma is a bitch, chignesh10, Lily Academia, senz72, Boom533, katebonnie, Agent Smirnoff, Conan, --emma--
Chemistry dabest2500, berryripple, Integral, ElMoro, Star-girl, chignesh10, Lily Academia, Mendeleev’s Table, senz72, Boom533, wcp100, Agent Smirnoff, acceptingme, --emma--
Computing - ElMoro
Economics- berryripple, Arslongavitabrevis, Integral, Mendeleev’s Table, senz72, 4mar_ar5en4l, Agent Smirnoff, YLY
English lit Coco_94, Etoile, chickenonsteroids, Lily Academia, pink pineapple, RainReader, Boom533, katebonnie
EPQ Arslongavitabrevis, Star-girl, Oli-Ol, Boom533, acceptingme, Conan
Fine art silent--ly , Lily Academia, RainReader,
French Etoile, chignesh10, Lily Academia, Oli-Ol, pink pineapple, katebonnie
Further Maths dabest2500, silent--ly, Arslongavitabrevis, Integral, George K, Heptapus, Star-girl, chignesh10, Mendeleev’s Table, Elmoro, Smmr, 4mar_ar5en4l, wcp100, Conan, acceptingme, YLY
General studies Star-girl, wcp100, Conan
Geology George K
German Etoile, chickenonsteroids
Hinduism - Boom533
History Coco_94, silent--ly, Oli-Ol, chickenonsteroids, pink pineapple, acceptingme
History of art silent--ly, RainReader
ICT - Smmr
Italian Etoile, Karma is a bitch, Oli-Ol, katebonnie (GCSE)
Latin - Arslongavitabrevis, Oli-Ol, YLY
Law - Agent Smirnoff
Maths dabest2500, Etoile, Heptapus, silent--ly, Arslongavitabrevis, chickenonsteroids, Integral, George K, Star-girl, chignesh10, Lily Academia, Oli-Ol, Mendeleev’s Table, senz72, Boom533, 4mar_ar5en4l, wcp100, Conan, acceptingme, --emma--, YLY, Amwazicles
Music - Heptapus
Physics dabest2500, silent--ly, chickenonsteroids, ElMoro, George K, Heptapus, chignesh10, Lily Academia, Star-girl, Smmr, 4mar_ar5en4l, wcp100, Conan, acceptingme, --emma--, Amwazicles
Philosophy Coco_94, chickenonsteroids, Amwazicles
Philosophy & Ethics - katebonnie
Psychology Coco_94, Oli-Ol, RainReader, Smmr, Amwazicles
Politics berryripple, pink pineapple
RE Karma is a bitch
Sociology- Karma is a bitch
Spanish - --emma--

If you want in on the list, quote me with your subjects :smile:

Human Biology
Chemistry
Psychology
English Lit
Wcp, How independant of M2 is M3? I'm asking whether I'd be allowed to self teach M3 to replace D2 next year, however my college, being geniuses and all, have decided that M2 will be the last Applied module we will do next year, in the second term.
If M3 relies on M2, this would mean I wouldn't be able to start M3 until possibly easter unless I self taught M2 early.

I'd ask about M4/FP4 instead of S2, but I don't think they like people self teaching more than 1 module.
Original post by cuckoo99
Human Biology
Chemistry
Psychology
English Lit

You've been added :smile:
Reply 8247
What universities and courses are people thinking about?
I'm dreading Thursday so much! :eek:
Plus I have the college party that night, which doesn't end until 3. I'll be dead to the world on friday! :frown:
Original post by h2shin

Mathematics/ Mathematics with Physics.
Cambridge, Warwick, Bath, Durham/St Andrews/Imperial/Edinburgh.

I'm considering somewhere abroad, possibly USA.
Reply 8250
You've been added :smile:

Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Further Mathematics (Additional)
Physics
Russian
Reply 8251
Original post by h2shin

Mathematics at Cambridge. If I don't get into Cambridge then Warwick. I haven't thought about it much beyond that.
Original post by und
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics
Russian

RUSSIAN! Thats awesome. Wish I could do AFM, but AQA don't run it. :cry2:

Added.
Wcp, How independant of M2 is M3? I'm asking whether I'd be allowed to self teach M3 to replace D2 next year, however my college, being geniuses and all, have decided that M2 will be the last Applied module we will do next year, in the second term.
If M3 relies on M2, this would mean I wouldn't be able to start M3 until possibly easter unless I self taught M2 early.

I'd ask about M4/FP4 instead of S2, but I don't think they like people self teaching more than 1 module.

Relatively independent. There isn't anything in M3 that you couldn't pick up quickly. Next year I "officially" do M2 and M3 at the same time so it is possible. Ultimately though, if you don't find it intuitive then it might be slightly difficult. If you are worried I recommend reading ahead about: calculus in kinematics I.e none constant acceleration and center of mass.

They largely independent though.

M3 is loosely based upon M2 (I assume that is also true for AQA). I'd say almost 1/2 is just expanding on differential equations, rectilinear motion, the other good stuff. You will do a few new topics (statics, maybe impulsive tensions), but that's more board dependent and as I'm not doing AQA I can't help too much. If you were ok with M2 I don't foresee any problems with M3, although self-teaching can be dangerous...

Mechanics is lovely maths. But having said that Statistics modules really are free UMS marks most of the time, and although I respect people trying to learn helpful/ useful modules for university, if you ever have an option of easy module vs. hard module then take the easier one.
Original post by und
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics
Russian

Isn't that a bit boring?
Original post by wcp100
Relatively independent. There isn't anything in M3 that you couldn't pick up quickly. Next year I "officially" do M2 and M3 at the same time so it is possible. Ultimately though, if you don't find it intuitive then it might be slightly difficult. If you are worried I recommend reading ahead about: calculus in kinematics I.e none constant acceleration and center of mass.

They largely independent though.

Thats good then, I guess I'll be going ahead with it. I think my teacher said something about me still having to do D2 in lesson as a back up, which although isn't great, at least I'll get to do M3.
I'm slightly worried, but at least I will have a back up unit. I intend to do some reading ahead over the summer, so I can start on STEP II and III earlier, so I will remember that, thank you.

Hoping to attempt some STEP I questions soon, once I've finished off C3 and got some of C4 under my belt.
Original post by JOR2010
Am I correct, or am I seeing things? On the Edexcel boundaries, it says it's 69 for an A?!

I don't do Edexcel. Sorry. :frown:
Thats good then, I guess I'll be going ahead with it. I think my teacher said something about me still having to do D2 in lesson as a back up, which although isn't great, at least I'll get to do M3.
I'm slightly worried, but at least I will have a back up unit. I intend to do some reading ahead over the summer, so I can start on STEP II and III earlier, so I will remember that, thank you.

Hoping to attempt some STEP I questions soon, once I've finished off C3 and got some of C4 under my belt.

There are plenty of STEP I questions which do not require C3 or C4. I personally learnt some C4 and FP3 doing STEP questions:tongue:

Here this is one set for my homework:

Q3 STEP I 04.png
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Llewellyn
M3 is loosely based upon M2 (I assume that is also true for AQA). I'd say almost 1/2 is just expanding on differential equations, rectilinear motion, the other good stuff. You will do a few new topics (statics, maybe impulsive tensions), but that's more board dependent and as I'm not doing AQA I can't help too much. If you were ok with M2 I don't foresee any problems with M3, although self-teaching can be dangerous...

Mechanics is lovely maths. But having said that Statistics modules really are free UMS marks most of the time, and although I respect people trying to learn helpful/ useful modules for university, if you ever have an option of easy module vs. hard module then take the easier one.

Would you advise if I was to self teach M3, that I should read ahead for (at least some of) M2 before hand in that case? I understand there is a risk with self teaching, but I wouldn't be totally alone in it, I understand that one of the teachers at my college has experience teaching M3 and has helped those who have self taught it in the past.

I know Stats and Decision are easy modules, however I find them mind numbingly boring, and Mechanics modules are prefered by Cambridge. If I were to do M3, it would take my total modules up to 14, meaning my worst two modules would be going spare at the end of A2 Fmaths. So I have a margin for error, and as a result, theres nothing really for me to lose by doing M3.

Latest