The Student Room Group

Gap year internship?

Hi, this UCAS cycle I applied for a course I really had no motivation to study and am planning to re-apply next year.

I am currently thinking of gap year plans, and in addition to some volunteer work abroad, I'd also like to apply for an internship (preferably over a month in duration) at an investment banking firm - both because I'm interested in a career in finance as well as to get an insight into the corporate world.

However, I do have some doubts regarding whether or not I'll actually be able to secure a placement at a reputable firm, seeing as I'll most likely be competing with graduates (?)

Would it even be possible for me to get an internship placement with just GCSEs & A-Levels as qualifications?

GCSE: 9/10 A*
AS: 4/4 A
A2: *hopefully* 4A*

For example, would I be able to get any kind of placement at somewhere like Goldman Sachs?

TYVM
Reply 1
No, unless you have a contact inside the firm who can give you a ''head-start''. Applications for internship positions are usually for second/third years. You might as well cold call BBs/boutiques and try (you won't lose anything) but be ready for many rejections.
Reply 2
Original post by SonnyZH
No, unless you have a contact inside the firm who can give you a ''head-start''. Applications for internship positions are usually for second/third years. You might as well cold call BBs/boutiques and try (you won't lose anything) but be ready for many rejections.

Really?

The whole reason I'm asking this question is because someone I know has already arranged a paid internship at a bank as an "analyst" - and this person is in an almost identical situation to me, i.e. A-Levels are his highest qualifications.
Original post by Newbie123
Really?

The whole reason I'm asking this question is because someone I know has already arranged a paid internship at a bank as an "analyst" - and this person is in an almost identical situation to me, i.e. A-Levels are his highest qualifications.

Call and try your luck. I had friends who interned at RBS and Citi while still at 6 form. Granted I think at least one of them had a contact fairly high up. I doubt you'll get investment banking experience but any experience is better than nothing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Really?

It's not common to see sixth formers in SA positions but it's definitely worth the try. If it doesn't work out just try cold-calling as many BBs/boutiques as you can; as any exposure you can get to transactions and deal execution in an IB at pre-undergraduate level will be priceless when you apply during college. Trust me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi, this UCAS cycle I applied for a course I really had no motivation to study and am planning to re-apply next year.

I am currently thinking of gap year plans, and in addition to some volunteer work abroad, I'd also like to apply for an internship (preferably over a month in duration) at an investment banking firm - both because I'm interested in a career in finance as well as to get an insight into the corporate world.

However, I do have some doubts regarding whether or not I'll actually be able to secure a placement at a reputable firm, seeing as I'll most likely be competing with graduates (?)

Would it even be possible for me to get an internship placement with just GCSEs & A-Levels as qualifications?

GCSE: 9/10 A*
AS: 4/4 A
A2: *hopefully* 4A*

For example, would I be able to get any kind of placement at somewhere like Goldman Sachs?

TYVM

Check your inbox.
Reply 6
You won't get an internship that lasts for a month when you're not a student of any kind. Spring internships (1-2 weeks) are aimed at 1st/2nd years whilst summer holiday ones are aimed at penultimate.
You can maybe get some informal work experience if you have a contact.
Reply 7
Original post by yothi5
You won't get an internship that lasts for a month when you're not a student of any kind. Spring internships (1-2 weeks) are aimed at 1st/2nd years whilst summer holiday ones are aimed at penultimate.
You can maybe get some informal work experience if you have a contact.

... If that's true, then how come this guy I know - with no relevant contacts - has got a 7 month, paid internship at Accenture?

Explain...
Reply 8
... If that's true, then how come this guy I know - with no relevant contacts - has got a 7 month, paid internship at Accenture?

Explain...

That is an organised gap year scheme that you had to apply for months ago.
Reply 9
Hey guys
Im just about to finish a paid internship with Procter & Gamble (huge company that own hundreds of billion dollar brands) that was amazing, covering marketing, finance and so much more.
I know they haven't closed the deadline for next year so check it out on their site pgcareers by searching gap year- so worth the money!

Good luck!
Reply 10
Awkward bump...

If anyone knows of any gap year schemes in finance, pleaseeeeee tell me, I'm starting to lose hope and have already sent out a desperate application for an internship in Beijing.
Awkward bump...

If anyone knows of any gap year schemes in finance, pleaseeeeee tell me, I'm starting to lose hope and have already sent out a desperate application for an internship in Beijing.

the only ones i know of are BoE and Rothschild but both were like year long so i didnt bother doing them. there really arent any unless u've got contacts

also i think they closed ages ago
(edited 11 years ago)

Explain...

goldman sachs > accenture
investment banking > consulting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending