The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I think I'm gonna get braid extensions in either red or purple. Anyone got any pics of inspiration?

Get purple, my sister has them at the moment and it looks nice.
Original post by Ebuwa
Please post a pic of your hair and if I may ask whats your heritage

I'm getting it trimmed tomorrow, so will try and get a picture up then. I am Black British (Caribbean, parents are from Jamaica). I relax my hair but only 3/4 times for the year.
Original post by Ebuwa
Who is going? I'm so excited
afro-hair-and-beauty-live-2012.png

I was going to but completely forgot :ninjagirl: lol. Did you go? If so, how was it? :smile:
Reply 1863
Original post by DancinBallerina
I was going to but completely forgot :ninjagirl: lol. Did you go? If so, how was it? :smile:

Original post by flosaw9
How was it?

It was really good, a lot of freebies lol. There were many people to offer advice and a good range of stores. However, I felt like I didn't fit in,I'm not natural and I don't have weave.
Reply 1864
Original post by katyness
I'm not sure why I'm posting this but I need moral support.

My hair is driving me crazy. I started my regimen last week and I have been taking extra good care of my hair (even if I say so myself) and, even though most parts of my hair look and feel better, there's a small patch at the back that is terrifying. I've tried everything but every time I touch it, it feels rough and when I cut it I see split ends or some sort of damage on all strands. No other part is like this.

I don't know what else to do :'(

Wave noveau moisturising lotion then seal with oil? My hair felt really tough but after using it, it was soft
Reply 1865
Don't know how I've only just found this thread.

I relax my hair every 6 weeks or so and have done for about 2 years. My hairs been getting "thinner" lately, as my mum likes to put it. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations to get thicker hair :smile:
Reply 1866
Original post by humy369

I relax my hair every 6 weeks or so and have done for about 2 years. My hairs been getting "thinner" lately, as my mum likes to put it. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations to get thicker hair :smile:

Jamaican Black Castor Oil but use a moisturiser first. Strech out your relaxer , instead of six weeks make it 8 etc. Avoid tight styles
Reply 1867
Original post by Ebuwa
Jamaican Black Castor Oil but use a moisturiser first. Strech out your relaxer , instead of six weeks make it 8 etc. Avoid tight styles

Thank you. What would be the best moisturiser to use?
Original post by humy369

hairliciousinc.com ---> she recommends to relax every 10-12 weeks :dontknow: I've only just started my hair journey so I don't have much more advice to give :o:
Original post by Ebuwa
Wave noveau moisturising lotion then seal with oil? My hair felt really tough but after using it, it was soft

I shall give that a go. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1870
Original post by humy369
Thank you. What would be the best moisturiser to use?

Wave noveau , any moisturiser that has aqua(water as the main/first ingredient
learning how to do box braids. Yay!
Original post by humy369

Don't relax your hair at all, then it will be very thick :biggrin: :p:. Or if you'd rather not go natural, then relaxing your hair every 10 weeks or so would be better than 6 weeks. Also, make sure you get regular trims and try protective styling.
Reply 1873
Original post by Ebuwa
Wave noveau , any moisturiser that has aqua(water as the main/first ingredient

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Don't relax your hair at all, then it will be very thick :biggrin: :p:. Or if you'd rather not go natural, then relaxing your hair every 10 weeks or so would be better than 6 weeks. Also, make sure you get regular trims and try protective styling.

Oh gosh no I can't handle that thick hehe. But yeah I think I'll space out my relaxer more.
Reply 1874
Original post by humy369
Thanks. I'll look into that.

Oh gosh no I can't handle that thick hehe. But yeah I think I'll space out my relaxer more.

You could try Castor oil, and maybe a black tea rinse- both are said to improve hair thickness. I'd definitely recommend spacing out your relaxer a bit more, maybe every 8-12 weeks? That should help it recover some, but part of how relaxers work is by breaking down individual hair strands resulting in a loss of thickness, so you may not see very much in the way of improvement there I'm afraid- still, it's worth a shot!
Reply 1875
Original post by Tel8
You could try Castor oil, and maybe a black tea rinse- both are said to improve hair thickness. I'd definitely recommend spacing out your relaxer a bit more, maybe every 8-12 weeks? That should help it recover some, but part of how relaxers work is by breaking down individual hair strands resulting in a loss of thickness, so you may not see very much in the way of improvement there I'm afraid- still, it's worth a shot!

That is not entirely true , maybe not in my case
(edited 11 years ago)
Does anyone know any cheap (but good) places to get a weave done? I want to go back to having a weave but I definitely can't afford the place I used to go to.
Reply 1877
Original post by LostArtOfMurder
Does anyone know any cheap (but good) places to get a weave done? I want to go back to having a weave but I definitely can't afford the place I used to go to.

What area are you from?
Original post by flosaw9
What area are you from?

Hampstead. Obviously there's nowhere cheap here so I don't mind the area
Firstly, really sorry for the long acknowledgement of your replies! (Uni exams etc -__-) Really apprieciate them thank you so much for your advice! :smile:

Original post by Ebuwa
No no no
Don’t grease your silk wrap, change it every 6 weeks. Or buy a silk pillow if it comes off.
Braiding is fine but you need to wash your hair obviously when its out. Use a good shampoo product such as argan oil shampoo or shampoos with sulphates. A good moisturising conditioner is important. Coconut oil is a good conditioner that you can add to you conditioner or shampoo, it penetrates your hair. When conditioning leave in for 30 mins or more with heat or heat cap. Olive oil also makes you hair softer
Invest in oils. You shouldn’t grease but moisturise. Moisturise your hair especially the tips daily. Use a water based moisturiser then seal it with oil such as jbco, safflower , whatever oil. Our hair is dry so you need to moisturise it.

You might to see your hairdresser for a protein treatment.
Low manipulation- don’t brush your hair too hard.

You haven’t got 3c less hair so take very good care of it. Don’t bother colouring it if your hair isn’t healthy.
Buy a wide tooth comb

Don’t buy hair products that have alcohol in it
Try to avoid heat

When relaxing your hair do it professionally and wait between relaxing e.g. every 8 weeks etc
Are you in London?

Find out your hair type . Black people mostly have 3c and below hair.
Type 3c Springy, spiral curls of about 9mm to 12 mm in diameter (loose)
Type 4a very tight curls with peaks from 5 to 7mm apart (tight)
Type 4b very tight spiral curls of 7mm or less in diameter (kinky)

hairtype-chart.jpg

Really long sorry lol

Hi there :smile: nooo, I don't grease the actual scarf haha, no no, I mean't my hair.. And every 6 weeks? I've had it over a year! I've made a note of what shampoo and oils to put in my conditioner :smile:

I'd say my hair is 4a and yes I'm in London!

Original post by Asha5692
Hey, check out my youtube channel ashababe56 I went natural 2 years ago. I am completely again using grease or any products for that matter, on my scalp. And if you think that natural hair is easier to maintain, you're in for a big surprise. I'd also suggest this website blackgirllonghair.com.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the website! I've gone natural because it's the lesser evil I guess. I was using indian hemp and african royale "super gro" (oh please hahahha) and moisturiser.. But they aren't doing much. I'll definitely check out your channel and that website :wink:

Original post by chronic_fatigue
Once a month :eek: lol for real?!?! Throw that blue magic/sulfur 8 or whatever it is called in the bin girl! You need to do some protective styles so you can get used to styling your own hair because once you go natural you aren't going to have braids all the time (well I hope not).Getting braids back to back over a long period of time can put stress on your hair especially your edges. Go on Youtube have a look at forums for black hair care and you should be fine.

lol I agree with what you said

Yeah I thought I could get away with doing braids back to back and I thought having my hair out leaves it vulnerable to the elements thus damaging it. I've had my braids in for about 2 months (because I was away) and once the front was getting rough I'd just take it out and put it back in.... Eiish rough on my edges is a euphamism :frown:

Thanks for all your help!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending