The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carlinhos1999
Hey guys, does anyone know which universities are much less GCSE heavy?

cambridge, Newcastle/durham, Imperial. sheffield, manchester (but you do need to have at least 6A's for manchester im pretty sure), barts, Exeter, Glasgow, Plymouth.

If you are lacking A* grades but have at least 9A grades then liverpool and lancaster are good also.

Be aware that for all of these universities because there is no/low GCSE requirement you often need very high scores in admissions tests/a very good personal statement or they interview a lot of candidates meaning they have a higher post interview rejection rate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Natalierm2707
cambridge, Newcastle/durham, Imperial. sheffield, manchester (but you do need to have at least 6A's for manchester im pretty sure), barts, Exeter, Glasgow, Plymouth.

If you are lacking A* grades but have at least 9A grades then liverpool and lancaster are good also.

Be aware that for all of these universities because there is no/low GCSE requirement you often need very high scores in admissions tests/a very good personal statement or they interview a lot of candidates meaning they have a higher post interview rejection rate.

Thanks a lot, how do you view st georges? do you know what their criteria is?

If I remember rightly St Georges requires pretty good GCSE grades, on their website it shows they use a point system and specifically states to get the cutoff score for the points you need an average of grade A across all 8 of the core subjects they include.

May I ask, what were your GCSE grades?
Original post by Natalierm2707
If I remember rightly St Georges requires pretty good GCSE grades, on their website it shows they use a point system and specifically states to get the cutoff score for the points you need an average of grade A across all 8 of the core subjects they include.

May I ask, what were your GCSE grades?

A*,9A and a C. I got these grades by doing basically the bare minimum because I thought they would be enough, sadly my ignorance has cost what universities I can apply to, and I severely regret not revising for them.
A*,9A and a C. I got these grades by doing basically the bare minimum because I thought they would be enough, sadly my ignorance has cost what universities I can apply to, and I severely regret not revising for them.

Hey dont worry at all, yes not having any A* grades will hold you back at some universities which particularly look for them, but this does not one bit rule you out of medicine because many universities will love those grades (depending upon what the A* and C are in mind!).

Just off the top of my head I would say...

Avoid:
Cardiff - need at least 8A*s at GCSE for the past 3 years to gain an interview.
Oxford - ideally need around 90% A*s at GCSE.
Edinburgh - need amazing academics (all A*) because they dont interview.
QUB - need a high number of A*s
Birmingham - need a high number of A*s
Bristol - need some A* grades as they use a scoring system for academic ability.
Dundee - need high academics to get an interview.
Kings - need good GCSE score along with high UKCAT for interview.
Leicester - need to be an all-rounder and unless you aced every other section of their scoring system you would be unlikely to get an interview.
Nottingham - need to be an all-rounder and unless you aced every other section of their scoring system you would be unlikely to get an interview.
St andrews - like lots of GCSE A* grades.
UCL - need high academics.

Possibly apply but you wont be a strong applicant (so risky):
Aberdeen - if you got a really high UKCAT (over 720) then you would have a chance here.
BSMS - if you have strong AS grades then this could make up for weaker GCSE grades.
UEA - again if you have a strong UKCAT this could make up for weaker academics.
Hull-york - if you have a very high UKCAT this could make up for weaker GCSEs.
Keele - if you have a tonne of voluntary work hours (like 100+) then you may be able to get an interview via the roles and responsibilities form.
Leeds - they used either GCSE or AS results when scoring.
SGUL - your GCSE score may be weaker but it may meet the cut off, contact st georges about this for further information.

Could apply here:
Barts - need a high UKCAT and lots of UCAS tarrif points (4 A2's, music qualifications, EPQ)
Cambridge - need ideally 95%+ UMS at AS and a very very strong BMAT score.
Newcastle/Durham - need a very high UKCAT.
Exeter - Good predicted A2 grades (A*AA at least) and a strong UKCAT.
Glasgow - very very strong UKCAT.
Imperial - good AS/A2 results and an incredibly high BMAT score.
Liverpool - good UKCAT and personal statement.
Lancaster - good BMAT and personal statement.
Manchester - good UKCAT and personal statement.
Plymouth - high scores in each UKCAT section
Sheffield - UKCAT over cut off score and a really good personal statement.
Southampton - very high UKCAT score

The medical schools shown in bold are those which use the BMAT admissions test, and the ones that are not all use the UKCAT to varying degrees.

All of my recommendations above are just recommendations, be aware that admissions policies change every year and the information I may have given you could already be out of date. Before you apply to anywhere ensure you go away and research each medical schools admissions criteria separately and make sure your application will not be a wasted one.

Hope this helps, my best advice now is you revise well for the UKCAT/BMAT and go away and research each of the med schools above via websites and admissions emails.

They want GSCEs: Eight subjects at grade A including English Language at a minimum grade B, Maths and Dual Award or three separate sciences.That's what the official literature says anyway
Does anyone know the personal statement heavy unis, I am aware of Bristol but are there any others or....

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lemauricien
Does anyone know the person statement heavy unis, I am aware of Bristol but are there any others or....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Liverpool, sheffield as well off the top of my head. A lot of universities now use personal statements in conjunction with UKCAT scores. PS is important for most unis xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will universities be changing the quantity of A levels you need to get into medicine as a result of the exams being linear?
And are there any universities that allow you to only do 3 A - levels to get into medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haseeb798
Will universities be changing the quantity of A levels you need to get into medicine as a result of the exams being linear?
And are there any universities that allow you to only do 3 A - levels to get into medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think they will.

Most med schools only want 3 A-Levels, and no longer care about having AS-Levels. If you do have them, they want them to be acceptable, though, but they don't care for a 4th AS anymore, I don't think.
Original post by Gogregg
I don't think they will.

Most med schools only want 3 A-Levels, and no longer care about having AS-Levels. If you do have them, they want them to be acceptable, though, but they don't care for a 4th AS anymore, I don't think.

Great because I am thinking of doing Chemistry, Biology and psychology. If I do an AS I will be doing maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great because I am thinking of doing Chemistry, Biology and psychology. If I do an AS I will be doing maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those subjects sound good :smile:

It won't disadvantage you by only doing 3 subjects, as long as you didn't have the option to do an AS-Level as well, although some universities may bump up the A2 grades they want you to have because of it (that may just be for 2017 entry, though, I can't really say at this point), i.e. AAA to A*AA

It's a bit too early to say at this point, but I'm certain you'll be fine :u:
Original post by Gogregg
Those subjects sound good :smile:

It won't disadvantage you by only doing 3 subjects, as long as you didn't have the option to do an AS-Level as well, although some universities may bump up the A2 grades they want you to have because of it (that may just be for 2017 entry, though, I can't really say at this point), i.e. AAA to A*AA

It's a bit too early to say at this point, but I'm certain you'll be fine :u:

Do imperial university give you the option to do 3 A - levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do imperial university give you the option to do 3 A - levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The other members on here only have access to the same information you do. A quick look on Imperial's website will tell you.
Need advice for a friend:
She got no offers this year and is planning to reapply next year if her A2 grades a strong enough.
She got 670 band 1 ukcat this year but obviously has to redo it.
Her personal statement seemed very strong.
7 A* 3 A at gcse
AS: AABB the B was in chemistry and french
A2 predicted: A*AA the A* being in biology
She initially applied to:
Queen Mary's - rejection after interview
Kings: rejection pre interview
Exeter: rejection pre interview
Birmingham: rejection pre interview

Is there possibility to apply to the same places as well or can anybody tell the most appropriate places to apply with these stats? She's pretty sure she'll get her predicted grades on results day.
Thanks
Original post by tcameron
Need advice for a friend:
She got no offers this year and is planning to reapply next year if her A2 grades a strong enough.
She got 670 band 1 ukcat this year but obviously has to redo it.
Her personal statement seemed very strong.
7 A* 3 A at gcse
AS: AABB the B was in chemistry and french
A2 predicted: A*AA the A* being in biology
She initially applied to:
Queen Mary's - rejection after interview
Kings: rejection pre interview
Exeter: rejection pre interview
Birmingham: rejection pre interview

Is there possibility to apply to the same places as well or can anybody tell the most appropriate places to apply with these stats? She's pretty sure she'll get her predicted grades on results day.
Thanks

For Exeter and birmingham I would unfortunately say your friend would not make a strong application to those unless she has A*AA minimum achieved, although exeter would probably like higher, also ensure she has AAAa (so A in the dropped AS for birmingham as that is a minimum requirement).

Her UKCAT may have been a little low for kings.

She did though get an interview at Queen marys so she applied right there, just ensure if she wants to reapply that she checks its ok with QMUL because a lot of medical schools do not allow failed applicants to apply again if they get rejected AFTER interview. Also make sure she improves her interview technique, it may seem hard but having mock interviews and preparing well will help.

I would advise your friend to after results day have a look at her grades and have another look around at medical schools which she will be well suited for. she needs to aim to apply to universities where she is likely to get an interview, and having AAA or more achieved at A2 opens up more doors.

She could look at universities such as Cardiff with acheived A2 grades, before this would have been a straight rejection but with achieved A2s it would be a very strong choice for your friend. there are many other like this so make sure you look around!

best of luck to your friend.
Would i be able to get into med school if i have achieved A2 grades of A*A*B?
Original post by Louisss
Would i be able to get into med school if i have achieved A2 grades of A*A*B?

Depends what the B is in, if its in chemistry or biology then it would be much harder. I would advise you to contact some medical schools or look at resitting the B.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This might not be the place to post this but in terms of Irish Med schools, would A*AA in a levels & A at as be enough to get in? (Obviously including hpat) from what I've read, you need like 4A* grades, is this right?
Is Leicester gcse heavy because I only have 3A*s 5As and 2Bs

Latest

Trending

Trending