The Student Room Group

The Graduate Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manchester_Grad
Hi everyone!

Just a quick question! Given that some companies have several application forms for you to fill out, in your experience which was the easiest?

all the companies that have a good grad scheme + salary + bonus will require application forms to be filled out. Spent one week to do one extremely well, targeting the company you are applying for. The use that as a starting point for all others. Remember to target to the XYZ company EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. otherwise it's a complete waste of time.
Applying for jobs is an extremely time consuming activity, especially if you aim high.

Hello everyone! final year meng mech eng, cardiff uni. applied, got accepted for a grad scheme with Rolls Royce (aerospace, not BMW) starting in Sept.
Although I am very interested in retail. Aldi invited me for an assessment center for the Area Manager position. Any tips on what to do / how to prepare?
If I get the job with Aldi, should I go Area Manager or RR?
Original post by SharedKnowledge
all the companies that have a good grad scheme + salary + bonus will require application forms to be filled out. Spent one week to do one extremely well, targeting the company you are applying for. The use that as a starting point for all others. Remember to target to the XYZ company EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. otherwise it's a complete waste of time.
Applying for jobs is an extremely time consuming activity, especially if you aim high.

Hello everyone! final year meng mech eng, cardiff uni. applied, got accepted for a grad scheme with Rolls Royce (aerospace, not BMW) starting in Sept.
Although I am very interested in retail. Aldi invited me for an assessment center for the Area Manager position. Any tips on what to do / how to prepare?
If I get the job with Aldi, should I go Area Manager or RR?

They're pretty different roles tbf.

Aldi's programme is known for being quite 'intense' in that 12+ hour days and getting down and dirty in the stores you cover is fair game. I imagine the RR programme would be much cushier, even though salary and progression are lower than Also.

Depends what you want to do in future and where you see yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
They're pretty different roles tbf.

Aldi's programme is known for being quite 'intense' in that 12+ hour days and getting down and dirty in the stores you cover is fair game. I imagine the RR programme would be much cushier, even though salary and progression are lower than Also.

Depends what you want to do in future and where you see yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the input. as you may know, engineering graduates are split in two groups: technical & managerial. neither one is better than the other, just different to suit different interests. I fall into the latter category.
The fear I have with RR is to be stuck in a very technical position and that would be absolutely dreadful to me.
Aldi offers an incredible focus on training managerial skills and while RR does offer something similar (Charted Eng via IMechE), it's not on the same level. Downside, really long hours of working, ie no weekends. Vacations are set for you in the first year (5wks in total, not bad) but salary increase is significantly higher. Not quite sure about position progression in Aldi, and how much you are required to work as a XYZ Director. In RR, after 18 months, you get assigned a position.
any idea about the assessment centre?
Hi,

I've been made a scholarship offer from a US University but I was wondering if the degree I will get in the US will be recognised by employers when I move back to the UK? I will be studying sports therapy if this makes any difference?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by andymharrison_
Hi,

I've been made a scholarship offer from a US University but I was wondering if the degree I will get in the US will be recognised by employers when I move back to the UK? I will be studying sports therapy if this makes any difference?

Thanks in advance.

I can't see that going to a university in the US will be a problem for something like Sports Therapy, however like with any graduate job applicant you will still need work experience and a strong application.
Just started a graduate role, so figured I'd give this a bump :biggrin:
Reply 1326
What do people tank about these grad opportunities with BAE systems?
Hi everyone,

Are there any Reading students in here?

The Careers Service at the University of Reading have set up a new web page specifically for finalists.

If you want to take a look, here it is: http://student.reading.ac.uk/essentials/careers_and_professional_development/finalists.aspx

There are lots of useful resources and material to help you plan your career a the end of your course.

GL!:ciao:
Hello all, Hope everyone is having a great start to the weekend and enjoying the nice weather. I've recently graduated from Glasgow Uni, Monday, with a MA in Linguistics with Merit. I am about to go back to the states tomorrow and have been putting in job applications for graduate positions for the past month or so. A couple employers were interested but they do not do Tier 2 sponsorships, which frustrated me as I have included on my cv that I would need sponsorship and am currently exempt from the RMLT for the next few months. Anyway, I am just really nervous and afraid about not getting a visa and not getting back to the UK for a while. My partner is Scottish and lives here, however she doesn't make enough for a spousal visa so that is out the question, for now anyway. Basically, I just wanted to see if anyone has been through similar circumstances before and has had luck with getting sponsored or has any fields/sectors I should check for on indeed. I've got my linkedin all set up and have been using jobsite, indeed and totaljobs, so I am exploring all avenues I know of. The job would have to be £20,800 annually to satisfy the home office's requirements, they don't make it easy for students to stay, for whatever reason. Also, I would ideally stay in the greater Glasgow area. I would appreciate any advice or feedback.

P.S: I have already consulted my Uni's career service office and they've essentially done nothing, so that's not really an option.
Is there a currently unemployed lonely grad thread?
Original post by corax

When did you graduate and what role are you looking for?
Original post by corax

I’m wondering the same thing..
Quite a few from years back, ironically the several months succeeding graduation can be the most depressing time many of us will have if you either don't find a job or end up in one you dislike.
Original post by chosenone93
Quite a few from years back, ironically the several months succeeding graduation can be the most depressing time many of us will have if you either don't find a job or end up in one you dislike.

Yep, that’s how I’m feeling. Especially looking for one in another country.
Original post by Renaissance-Man
When did you graduate and what role are you looking for?

I graduated in July, currently applying to marketing jobs and grad schemes - mostly in London.

Original post by natesmith1016
I’m wondering the same thing..

Maybe we should start one!
Original post by corax
I graduated in July, currently applying to marketing jobs and grad schemes - mostly in London.

Maybe we should start one!

Have you heard back from anyone??

I’d be down for that
Have you heard back from anyone??

I’d be down for that

Let's do it!

I started actively applying properly around 3 weeks ago and I've had one telephone interview and I have a face to face interview next week.
I guess it's early days still.

How is your search going?
Original post by corax
Let's do it!

I started actively applying properly around 3 weeks ago and I've had one telephone interview and I have a face to face interview next week.
I guess it's early days still.

How is your search going?

When I first started applying back in May/June I was getting lots of calls but after the initial calls they’d find out that I needed sponsorship and would say they couldn’t sponsor. Since July not much has happened really, but I’ve updated and fixed my CV around so I think it should start picking up soon, hopefully.
When I first started applying back in May/June I was getting lots of calls but after the initial calls they’d find out that I needed sponsorship and would say they couldn’t sponsor. Since July not much has happened really, but I’ve updated and fixed my CV around so I think it should start picking up soon, hopefully.

Sponsorship for what country?

And I hope it does for you!
Original post by corax
Sponsorship for what country?

And I hope it does for you!

UK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending