The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charlottem27
I am about to start my A-levels and wish to study medicine at university.
I know that biology and chemistry are vital, but I am struggling to decide on my third.
I love both maths and latin, but I am unsure which one would be favoured by universities. I thought perhaps latin is more rare and shows a breadth of study, although maths may be more relevant in the course?
Would be great if anyone maybe studying medicine could say which A-levels they took? Or if anyone knows which ones are preferred by universities?
Thanks a lot! :smile:

Neither will be favoured more than the other at most med schools. There is pretty much no A-Level Maths in Medicine, and the only Med School that likes to see a non-science subject is UCL so that's the only place where Latin could be advantageous. Conversely, Cambridge require three sciences so you should do Maths if you want to study there. Outside of those two med schools, however, it really doesn't matter - take the one you think you'd enjoy more.
Original post by jadeee18x
Next year I'm going to start my a levels and I'm not sure whether to take physics? I want to study medicine and I'm not sure whether not studying physics would put me at a disadvantage. At AS level I'm taking chemistry, biology and maths. However, I don't know whether I should take physics as my fourth option (it would be the one I would drop). I have a love hate kind of relationship with physics and don't know what to do!!!! I would like to take psychology instead, but I'm not sure...

thank you.

I took bio, chem, maths and physics this year up to AS. Whilst physics did help with the other subjects and I think I've done well, I would recommend taking a lighter subject that you can easily get an A in. Even if you only take it up to AS, it will make your first year much easier and leave you at no disadvantage.
Next year I'm going to start my a levels and I'm not sure whether to take physics? I want to study medicine and I'm not sure whether not studying physics would put me at a disadvantage. At AS level I'm taking chemistry, biology and maths. However, I don't know whether I should take physics as my fourth option (it would be the one I would drop). I have a love hate kind of relationship with physics and don't know what to do!!!! I would like to take psychology instead, but I'm not sure...

thank you.

You won't be disadvantaged if you don't have physics, no. Psychology is perfectly fine to take.
Original post by usycool1
Neither will be favoured more than the other at most med schools. There is pretty much no A-Level Maths in Medicine, and the only Med School that likes to see a non-science subject is UCL so that's the only place where Latin could be advantageous. Conversely, Cambridge require three sciences so you should do Maths if you want to study there. Outside of those two med schools, however, it really doesn't matter - take the one you think you'd enjoy more.

Okay thanks, I don't want to go to Cambridge so will see which one I enjoy more!
I am about to begin sixth form and am obviously taking biology and chemistry as I would like to study medicine, although I am undecided between latin and maths. Which subjects did you take for A-levels?
I am about to begin sixth form and am obviously taking biology and chemistry as I would like to study medicine, although I am undecided between latin and maths. Which subjects did you take for A-levels?

Only you can decide what you want to study and what you will do well in. Other people telling you they did x subject, but you hate that subject/struggle with it won't help you at all.

But there is already a thread listing everybody's stats

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511
Posted from TSR Mobile
Just remember to do what u like alongside bio and Chem which is compulsory for med.
I did English language, psychology , maths - enjoyed them in the end TBH

do whichever you find easier, you will need AAA for medicine as that is not an easy feet, so aim to take a 3rd Alevel which you enjoy and are likely to enjoy and more likely to get the third A.
For my A Levels I chose the subjects
Biology
Chemistry
Maths and
English Literature
I chose these subjects to keep open the Medicine field although I'm not too sure yet. I chose English because I genuinely like and enjoy the subject but I would like to drop maths after I finish AS would that still keep open the opportunity to study medicine because I find maths quite hard.
Original post by Queen_45
Biology
Chemistry
Maths and
English Literature
I chose these subjects to keep open the Medicine field although I'm not too sure yet. I chose English because I genuinely like and enjoy the subject but I would like to drop maths after I finish AS would that still keep open the opportunity to study medicine because I find maths quite hard.

They're completely fine :yy:
Original post by Queen_45
Biology
Chemistry
Maths and
English Literature

You need biology, chemistry, and a third academic subject. Not sure how the new system will alter requirements, but you may also need a fourth AS in something that isn't General Studies or Critical Thinking.

As for maths - you needn't take it at AS either if you find it hard. There's no requirement for it at any medical school. Other than chemistry and biology, mostly the criteria should be whether or not you enjoy it and can get a decent grade in it.
Thanks guys it was a great help👍🏻😄
I think doing 3 A-levels and an EPQ would be better as it is something you can write on your PS and talk about whereas the 4th A-level wouldn't count in your offer and therefore is not too important as universities rarely look at how many subjects you have . Have you considered maybe doing both the 4th subject and the EPQ?

thank you.

Hi jadeee18x

How are you getting on with your decision?

As some others have already said, Chemistry is the essential A-level to have with Biology strongly recommended. I don't think that Physics will put you at a disadvantage, in fact for Oxbridge doing Physics or Maths is a big benefit due to the theoretical nature of the course.

With all of that said though, you should choose something that you will enjoy studying as you are much more likely to do well it in then. Your other three subjects are fantastic choices for going into medicine so if you would rather study psychology then go for that. If you enjoy the subject then you can't really go wrong in choosing it.

You might be interested in reading this blog, which is all about this subject.

Do let me know if you have any questions... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions
I am about to start my A-levels and wish to study medicine at university.
I know that biology and chemistry are vital, but I am struggling to decide on my third.
I love both maths and latin, but I am unsure which one would be favoured by universities. I thought perhaps latin is more rare and shows a breadth of study, although maths may be more relevant in the course?
Would be great if anyone maybe studying medicine could say which A-levels they took? Or if anyone knows which ones are preferred by universities?
Thanks a lot! :smile:

Hi charlottem27

Your first two choices are great for going on to study medicine and you are correct in saying that they are the essential subjects.

When it comes to your third, it really is a case of what you would like to study most.

Do you have an idea of where you would like to go to university? I only ask as it is helpful to have done Maths for Oxbridge because of the theoretical nature of the course, so if Oxbridge is your intention and you enjoy Maths then that could be the way to go.

With that said though, Maths is not essential for medicine anywhere, so if you do really enjoy Latin, then that is also a great choice.

Ultimately it is your decision and as I said earlier, the best way to decide for your third subject is to choose the one you would most enjoy studying as you are more likely to do better in a subject you enjoy.

You might find this blog interesting if you have a chance to read it as it covers this subject in more detail.

Do let me know if you have any questions I can answer.

Good luck with your choices, I am sure they will be the right ones.

UniAdmissions
Hi, my case is pretty common - I want to study medicine and am struggling between choosing Physics or Psychology as my fourth AS level. I am taking Chemistry, Biology and Maths for sure, but deciding between these two makes me pretty anxious. I made a pro/con list, thought about it during the summer all the time but alas, I nothing really stands out in terms of what I want to do more :frown: I love all things science, and physics seems like a very academically rigorous subject. Topics such as radioactive physics, sound and thermodynamics are very important in understanding of the scientific concepts in all of the subjects. Recently though I have looked into the books for Phychology and have found that is it extremely relevant to Medicine too - developmental psychology, phychological disorders, research techniques, psychological studies and the analysis of the outcomes, etc. Unfortunately I will not go to the UK university, so the uni preferences are not relevant here. I am hoping I will go to Charles University in Prague. I have not found any specific A level requirements from them. Please can you give some reassurance? Thank you
Original post by amelialv
Hi, my case is pretty common - I want to study medicine and am struggling between choosing Physics or Psychology as my fourth AS level. I am taking Chemistry, Biology and Maths for sure, but deciding between these two makes me pretty anxious. I made a pro/con list, thought about it during the summer all the time but alas, I nothing really stands out in terms of what I want to do more :frown: I love all things science, and physics seems like a very academically rigorous subject. Topics such as radioactive physics, sound and thermodynamics are very important in understanding of the scientific concepts in all of the subjects. Recently though I have looked into the books for Phychology and have found that is it extremely relevant to Medicine too - developmental psychology, phychological disorders, research techniques, psychological studies and the analysis of the outcomes, etc. Unfortunately I will not go to the UK university, so the uni preferences are not relevant here. I am hoping I will go to Charles University in Prague. I have not found any specific A level requirements from them. Please can you give some reassurance? Thank you

Pretty sure you can study only 3 subjects if you decided which would be better as less workload.

Physics is challenging in concept terms and maths involved whilst psychology is more memory work; pick by strength. Psychology is also less of a core science than physics so it might seem like a break from grinding 100% scientific concepts.

Basically pick what you like more but if you can, pick neither and do 3 subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amelialv

Hi amelialv

The subjects that you have already decided on are great for wanting to go on to study medicine, so no worries there.

With regards to a fourth subject, the most important thing is to choose something that you will enjoy and unfortunately only you know the answer to that! The reason it is important to pick a subject that you will enjoy is because it is obviously much more likely that you will do well and get the grades you want.

It is difficult for anyone else to advise on this I'm afraid, other than to say, go with what you think you will like more!

Good luck with it all, I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you.

UniAdmissions
Original post by 07cdominic
I think doing 3 A-levels and an EPQ would be better as it is something you can write on your PS and talk about whereas the 4th A-level wouldn't count in your offer and therefore is not too important as universities rarely look at how many subjects you have . Have you considered maybe doing both the 4th subject and the EPQ?

I have considered that, but I think the workload will be too much for me. I found the workload for just AS level challenging.

Latest

Trending

Trending