The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by rorydaredking
I'm literally laughing out loud. That is so un dutch haha.

Stunning goal in the last minute of a WC QF, nobody could remain calm for that tbf. :lol:
Original post by JK.
Yeh, those are the best. :yep:

Aye, always so calm...

[]

lol at his gasps for breath
Reply 242

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Man utd new away kit--Photos Leaked
Original post by Guvnor

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Man utd new away kit--Photos Leaked

Saw this like a month ago.

Can't say i'll be buying this one tbph
I quite like that kit, nearly makes up for the **** 10 minute effort on the home kit.

Funny thing about foreign commentary is I don't know any of the words except the players name, only then you realise how often they say it.

Original post by JK.
Stunning goal in the last minute of a WC QF, nobody could remain calm for that tbf. :lol:

Definitely. Plus it was one of goals that you call 'that goal,' like the henry one against us, Cantona's chip etc. I wish English commentators went a bit special sometimes.
Original post by Pn94
Interesting. I've heard quite a few UTD fans say we haven't got a hope in hell for top 4. I think we certainly have especially if we shore our squad up further, which we will. I even think if we sign someone like Mata, a real quality player then we could challenge for the title possibly next season, although I'd be happy with top 4.

No. You need a left back and a centre back as well as two wingers. Then the team has to gel.....
Reply 247
Original post by IanLim93
I think it'll be a challenge for liverpool to get top 4 yet alone challenge for the title. You still have to address your defence, gerrard is getting older. I do agree with quality wingers liverpool will do a lot better but where would that leave kuyt? if Carrol and Suarez up front, i personally feel kuyt plays better upfront.

If tottenham can keep their players and possibly add a striker who can finish well. They'll be a team to beat. With man city going to spend more as more. I can see the top 3 between man utd man city and chelsea. It all depends on wheter arsenal spends or not. I'm hoping all their players :colondollar: n we get nasri on the cheap :smile: but very unlikely.

Nothing wrong with our defence once we get a solid LB. Looks like we might be signing Zapata too for CB, who's been one of Serie A's best defenders this season. Gerrard is only 31, just recently said in an interview he's feeling in the best shape of his career after finally repairing his groin. In Suarez we've got a potentially world class player, in Carroll we've got a proven PL goalscorer who can only improve. If we do sign a winger of say, Downing's consistent quality, and then also sign a 'marquee' player in the mould of Suarez, then I can see us going places.

Original post by evantej
Shore up the squad? Mata?

People talk about shoring up a squad when they want strength in depth. Liverpool need to get a good first team before they need to worry about having a good squad. Take the line up that started against Tottenham.

Liverpool: Reina, Johnson, Flanagan, Skrtel, Carragher, Spearing, Lucas, Maxi, Kuyt, Carroll, Suarez.

Subs: Gulacsi, Kyrgiakos, Ngog, Cole, Poulsen, Robinson, Shelvey.

How many of those would start for Chelsea or United? Maybe Reina and one of the strikers (at a push). Granted you could include Gerrard and Meireles as well. The actual spine of Liverpool's team (if everyone is fit) is good (i.e. GK, DF, CM, ST). But there is a ton of dead weight in Liverpool's squad; and loaning out a midfielder who cost £20m is absolutely absurd by anyone's standards (let's ignore Manchester City!). A number of the older members need replacing very soon; Gerrard, like Lampard, can no longer be counted on and it seems that Dalglish sees Henderson as his replacement, but he will need time to be brought through.

I think Dalglish's policy of promoting young English players is probably a good idea for the long term, but I think he has ruthlessly used the unpopularity of Hodgson for his own benefit. Players like Konchesky and Poulsen could give you depth in the meantime.

Top four, maybe. It depends on whether Arsenal and Tottenham lose their important players. But there is absolutely no way that Liverpool are challenging for the title next season. Likewise, there is absolutely no way Mata is signing for Liverpool either.

Wait, wait. By 'shoring up the squad' I did mean the first 11 primarily, buying players who will be in and around the first team. In terms of our 1st 11 anyway, it was certainly good enough to beat the top teams last season, seeing as we beat you lot, City & Chelsea (twice) , rather convincingly too. Our 1st 11 is thus good enough to beat anyone. Towards the end of last season we were missing Gerrard, Kelly, Agger, Meireles and Carroll, 5 key players.

The line up you've shown highlights the need for added squad strength for us. E.g Henderson, he won't play every game, but he'll still be in and around the first 11, giving us another option of quality, which all of the top teams have.It'll be the same with Adam if we sign him. Also, Aquilani was a Hodgson mistake, and will most likely be sold.

You also talk about replacing older players, which older players? Gerrard IS still reliable, he's only 31, plus he'll be taking a more reserved role I'm sure, rather than having to carry the whole team on his shoulders with those cavalier displays. Carragher, yes is getting on, but I think he's got another season or two in him, plus we're being linked with countless CBs anyway which make it seem that we're looking to sign one, so that issue will be addressed anyway. Apart from that, we haven't got any players who are above 30 years of age in our starting line up apart from Dirk Kuyt, who may not be starting next season anyway, as we are highly stocked in that department.

Also these youngsters which have moved in towards the first team, such as Spearing, Flanagan, Robinson, Coady, Sterling and a couple of others, provide a good back up option for us, instead of buying squad players we'll have them stemming up from our youth, none of them will be starters or guaranteed a place on our bench next season, but it's a good option to have them there and available, a bit like you lot, using youth players as backups rather than pointless and more expensive signings like we've made over the years.

You say Mata won't sign, yet we signed Suarez in January when we were really down in the doldrums in the bottom half of the table, plus City signed the likes of Silva, Toure, Tevez and others without any CL football, if that's what you're getting at. Our owners also have a track record of making big signings of intent with the Boston Red Sox, so I don't see why not with us. Mata's been linked, so it may have some substance, and I do believe we'll make at least one big 'marquee' signing in Mata's mould this summer.

To be honest, you've painted a totally false picture of us, also Konchesky and Poulsen squad players? This shows you're not well educated about LFC, If them two are still at Anfield next season I'll eat my socks live on webcam.

Our first 11 & squad will be fairly strong next season IMO, we've got Suarez and Gerrard, two genuinely world class players, world class goalie in Reina, a defence which was solid towards the end of last season, which will probably be added to with a new CB and LB. We've also got Andy Carroll, a goalscorer who can only improve, and a good wealth of experienced quality heads, such as Meireles, Kuyt, Carragher, and obviously the likes of Gerrard and Reina. Add to this a strong bunch of youth players who are coming through, and definite further signings which will be made this summer, including a possible 'marquee signing', and I think we've got a strong proposition for next season. But full assessment can't take place until the end of the transfer window. I'm not saying we'll win the league by any stretch, but I don't think a title challenge is impossible.
(edited 12 years ago)
^If you sign, and pay above the odds for, mid-table players like Charlie Adam (I know you haven't yet) then that's where you'll stay.
Suarez world class? You're having a laugh. And Gerrard only managed 24 games last season, hardly makes him reliable.

And do I really have to explain how City signed such players as Silva, Toure et al? REALLY?
Reply 250
Suarez is nowhere near world class.
Original post by JK.
Let's be honest, the same could be said for most English commentators, at least you don't have to understand everything these say.

Is it just me or does everyone have the need to have commentary on when watching games, whether it be in Russian, Chinese, Spanish or whatever? :lol:

Yeah I always have to listen to the commentary. With some languages (Chinese, Dutch) I'd rather have the commentary off, because those languages are offensive to the ears, but it's so difficult watching a game of football on mute! I love watching the games in Arabic and Portuguese, though. :coma:
I dont see how you can expect big signings just because your owners bought a few players for their baseball team. your marquee signing is Charlie Adam
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 253
Original post by Kevmeister
No. You need a left back and a centre back as well as two wingers. Then the team has to gel.....

We'll get the players we need. True they'll need to gel, but that sometimes isn't a problem. I think we'll get top 4.
Reply 254
Original post by internetstephen
^If you sign, and pay above the odds for, mid-table players like Charlie Adam (I know you haven't yet) then that's where you'll stay.

This why you're looking at Adam yourselves?
Original post by Kevmeister
Suarez world class? You're having a laugh. And Gerrard only managed 24 games last season, hardly makes him reliable.
And do I really have to explain how City signed such players as Silva, Toure et al? REALLY?

Suarez certainly has the potential to be world class. He was one of the best players in the PL towards the end of last season. And yes, 24 games in a season where he needed an operation for the most of it, which he's finally gotten.

Original post by Colonel.
Suarez is nowhere near world class.

Alright.
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
I dont see how you can expect big signings just because your owners bought a few players for their baseball team. your marquee signing is Charlie Adam

But you're looking at Charlie Adam yourselves?
Park Ji Sung, Darren Fletcher, John O'shea, Wes Brown, Anderson, Carrick. Hardly
top quality players, yet they do the job for you.
Also upto £20m on Jordan Henderson? Suggests to me we're looking to spend big.

There is no way you can have a reasonable discussion with Man Utd fans tbh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pn94
snip

Any actual evidence United are after Adam?
Who cares about the scouse anyway. What idiot thought to ask about them here.
Also, Gerrard is far past his best. He is exactly like Rio IMO. Injury prone, and still a top player at his best, but injury + getting back to full fitness >50% of the games in a season. Actually, come to think of it, even though pool beat us, we were **** that day. They only have 3 class players. The biter, the dj batterer and the goalie.
Reply 257
Original post by HilariousNinja
Any actual evidence United are after Adam?

You made a bid for him in Jan apparently.
Original post by Pn94
We'll get the players we need. True they'll need to gel, but that sometimes isn't a problem. I think we'll get top 4.

But you said about a chance at the title.

Original post by Pn94
This why you're looking at Adam yourselves?

Suarez certainly has the potential to be world class. He was one of the best players in the PL towards the end of last season. And yes, 24 games in a season where he needed an operation for the most of it, which he's finally gotten.

We're not looking at Adam, papers say we are but there's no quotes or anything.

Potential to be world class and actually being world class are two different things. You said he is world class now you're saying he has potential....

And we're having a reasonable debate with you, it's just that we're picking holes in your logic and you don't like it, as evidenced by your 'swearing'.
Original post by Pn94

But you're looking at Charlie Adam yourselves?
Park Ji Sung, Darren Fletcher, John O'shea, Wes Brown, Anderson, Carrick. Hardly
top quality players, yet they do the job for you.
Also upto £20m on Jordan Henderson? Suggests to me we're looking to spend big forker.

There is no way you can have a reasonable discussion with Man Utd fans tbh.

United have never shown interest and will not sign Adam.

Henderson isnt marquee. Attracting big name players and spending inflated prices on english players are not the same thing. Nearly all The players you mentioned are underrated, they have quality.

Latest