The Student Room Group

Bocconi or RSM for IB ? (Undergraduate)

Hi everyone :smile:

What is the better way to get into IB in London between :
-The BSc in international business administration at RSM
-The BSc in international management economics and finance at Bocconi (taught in english)

I heard that Bocconi was more famous in London than RSM because most of RSM's student aren't aiming IB ...

But I also heard that Bocconi wasn't very famous for it's Bachelors ... is that true ?

As i'm not a native speaker , maybe it's better to go for RSM because people speak english better overthere than in Milan ?

Also , Bocconi's fees are between 4500€ and 10000€ depending on your income ... whereas RSM's fees are about 8000€ per year as i'm an international student ...

Are RSM bachelor's courses suitable for IB ? http://www.rsm.nl/home/bachelor/bsciba/knowledge_and_ideas/curriculum it seems to be not very technical ... at Bocconi the course seems to be more quantitative ...

Also , I don't speak any Italian ... is it an issue or it can be learned fastly ?

Bocconi have also very good exchange program (more than RSM) like Columbia , Princeton , Stern ... (more slots available)

Thank you very much ! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some advice please ? :smile:
Reply 2
They are both okay, however most BB banks will almost exclusively only recruit from the top 5 in the UK.
Reply 3
Yes , but I think that Bocconi offers more opportunities ...

Also the RSM's BSc courses seem to be very business focused ... whereas Bocconi can be more suitable for finance (you can choose econometrics as an elective)
Reply 4
Original post by Theconomist
They are both okay, however most BB banks will almost exclusively only recruit from the top 5 in the UK.

Not true plus not relevant for the discussion. If you want to get into IBanking, as you said, Bocconi is better than RSM.
There will be no problem if you don't speak italian btw. You will not be the only international student there and there are several international student from BIEM that got SA and Graduate Position in London.

You'll be fine.
Reply 5
Original post by cruel3a
Not true plus not relevant for the discussion. If you want to get into IBanking, as you said, Bocconi is better than RSM.
There will be no problem if you don't speak italian btw. You will not be the only international student there and there are several international student from BIEM that got SA and Graduate Position in London.

You'll be fine.

Thanks for the answer , I've seen many of your posts about Bocconi ^^ and they were pretty interesting

About the international student : I noticed that most of the international student were from Europe and Eastern Europe (Serbia , Russia ...) and few students from Asia , what about the others places ? Like America , Africa , England ?

Maybe my english level would be better in RSM than in Bocconi don't you think so ? I heard some italians speaking english and that wasn't that good :biggrin: also considering that the professors aren't native english speaker too ...

I can't say for the Dutch ... One RSM's student said me that the professors overthere were germans ... (I've never heard a german speaking english to be fair ^^)
Reply 6
Another opinion please ? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Theconomist

LSE, Oxbridge, Warwick, imperial college, I guess ?
Reply 8
Original post by locosr
LSE, Oxbridge, Warwick, imperial college, I guess ?

Imperial doesn't place better than Bocconi or HEC or SSE in FO positions.

@ Mihawk

Yes, the average international student is from europe, east europe and asia. Honestly, I don't have any idea about the class composition at the Bachelor level so I cannot help you.
If you want to improve your english, RSM will give you a better experience cause Dutchs are better than Italians at english. Anyway your english would still be good enough to get the job that you want wherever you want.
Some professors are english native speakers, some others are not but obv they can speak english well.

I don't think you should choose your school according to the english level, btw. If you want to work in Investment Banking (corporate finance), Bocconi is better. If you are more interested in Management topics, RSM should be your choice.
Reply 9
Original post by cruel3a

@ Mihawk

Yes, the average international student is from europe, east europe and asia. Honestly, I don't have any idea about the class composition at the Bachelor level so I cannot help you.
If you want to improve your english, RSM will give you a better experience cause Dutchs are better than Italians at english. Anyway your english would still be good enough to get the job that you want wherever you want.
Some professors are english native speakers, some others are not but obv they can speak english well.

I don't think you should choose your school according to the english level, btw. If you want to work in Investment Banking (corporate finance), Bocconi is better. If you are more interested in Management topics, RSM should be your choice.

What about trading ? Is the BIEMF quantitative ?

I've heard on another web site , that Bocconi's BIEMF was a joke ... :s-smilie: :confused:
Reply 10
Original post by cruel3a

@ Mihawk

at undergrad level, definitely yes
Reply 11
Yes, at the undergrad level you are right.
BIEMF is told to be easier than CLEF or CLES. Anyway I don't know if it is a joke.
Reply 12
Original post by cruel3a
Yes, at the undergrad level you are right.
BIEMF is told to be easier than CLEF or CLES. Anyway I don't know if it is a joke.

Is it a kind of cash cow for Bocconi ? :confused:
Reply 13
No, the cash cow is the CLEACC.
Btw, the fact that it is told to be easier doesn't mean that it is.
Reply 14
Yes but so many people said that is easier ... Because grades are higher at the BIEMF ...

Maybe Bocconi's reputation comes from CLEF and CLES ...
Reply 15
Bocconi reputation comes from its history. its faculty, its alumnis. The 3 years program are 8 or 10 years old so the reputation does not come from it.
Is it a problem if you learn the same things but you get higher marks than CLEF or CLES students? It will be just better for your application and you chances to get into top exchange programs...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by cruel3a
Bocconi reputation comes from its history. its faculty, its alumnis. The 3 years program are 8 or 10 years old so the reputation does not come from it.
Is it a problem if you learn the same things but you get higher marks than CLEF or CLES students? It will be just better for your application and you chances to get into top exchange programs...

Is it ? If you get higher marks then it's easier nop ? Or the BIEMF's students are better ? That's the only explanation ... :smile:

Okay I though the BIEFM was a few years new .... Is it 8 years old too ?
Reply 17
I said the 3 years programs in italy are quite new. I have no idea about the age of the Biem...
Reply 18
I don't mean to be rude but I think that before asking all these questions and ask for confirmation for things you already read on here (I read so many clichés you can find here on TSR), you first need to get accepted by both, don't take that for granted.

Unis can be less favourable of someone that already did a Uni year abroad, and remember that since you are probably not going into full rate, you better be good.

Having said that, APPARENTLY (not even sure) BIEMF has higher grades, that's it. You learn the same things, get higher grades. Even if it were true, I'd be happy to be completely honest with you.
Reply 19
Original post by robbiee
I don't mean to be rude but I think that before asking all these questions and ask for confirmation for things you already read on here (I read so many clichés you can find here on TSR), you first need to get accepted by both, don't take that for granted.

Unis can be less favourable of someone that already did a Uni year abroad, and remember that since you are probably not going into full rate, you better be good.

Having said that, APPARENTLY (not even sure) BIEMF has higher grades, that's it. You learn the same things, get higher grades. Even if it were true, I'd be happy to be completely honest with you.

Ok , just wanted to know if it's worth preparing SAT , Toefl ...

But thks all anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending