The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Graduate Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by elena1041
Haha dont worry i completely understand why you wouldnt want to live with vets! I just definitely want to live with student but think id kill 1st years either that or just end up pretending im 18 again and getting drunk all the time!!
Im a bit worried about the EMS thing I just dont know if im going to have time before and 12 weeks during the year sounds impossible!!
Have you seen the list of things we need yet? Someone put a link to it on the fb group I hadnt even thought how much boiler suits and steel capped shoes were going to cost!!!!

Yeah I saw that link too thanks! I know, tell me about it. Expensive! I am trying to organise Ems part-time but Edinburgh are not very keen to let you do it that way. Humph. But I'll figure it out somehow! It's slowly beginning to feel real now...
Hello I have come on here for some very much needed advice. I just need to explain that I am a graduate and I am 26 years old. I applied to vet school last year and got offers from Bristol and Liverpool. Being a graduate they wanted to charge me between £18,000 and £20,000 a year. I 'ummmed' and 'arrred' but in the end decided I couldn't afford it and to apply again this year for Nottingham and RVC which are £9,000 a year. I didn't even get an interview for RVC, but did so for Notts and I have literally just received my rejection veeeery UPSETTING!!!! I still have my offer for Bristol so now I need advice on wether to bite the bullet and fork out the cash for Bristol or try again for RVC next year (UHhhh, the thought of going through it all again!) Also, I don't know if I would loose my place for Bristol for good and and then risk not being able to get into RVC, so stuck with no place... Just any advice would be very, very much appreciated!! I have sent 100's of letters asking for funding and already been down that road...

Being a graduate makes things so complicated!
Original post by bluebird13
Hello I have come on here for some very much needed advice. I just need to explain that I am a graduate and I am 26 years old. I applied to vet school last year and got offers from Bristol and Liverpool. Being a graduate they wanted to charge me between £18,000 and £20,000 a year. I 'ummmed' and 'arrred' but in the end decided I couldn't afford it and to apply again this year for Nottingham and RVC which are £9,000 a year. I didn't even get an interview for RVC, but did so for Notts and I have literally just received my rejection veeeery UPSETTING!!!! I still have my offer for Bristol so now I need advice on wether to bite the bullet and fork out the cash for Bristol or try again for RVC next year (UHhhh, the thought of going through it all again!) Also, I don't know if I would loose my place for Bristol for good and and then risk not being able to get into RVC, so stuck with no place... Just any advice would be very, very much appreciated!! I have sent 100's of letters asking for funding and already been down that road...

I'm in a pretty similar position, Bristol have offered me a place, and I don't want to turn it down in order to get rejected elsewhere. Have you tried applying for your maintenance loan? I have that sorted, and it helps to put into context exactly how much money you need to raise....It has given me some peace of mind that I can afford to live. Plus you can get a career dev loan during the last two years of the degree. xx
Reply 423
Hey,
Congrats on people with offers and commiserations to anyone who didnt get one, dont give up!
Just wondering if anyone going to Liverpool has looked into accomodation yet?
Reply 424
Original post by elise0990
Hey,
Congrats on people with offers and commiserations to anyone who didnt get one, dont give up!
Just wondering if anyone going to Liverpool has looked into accomodation yet?

I've firmed Liverpool, think I'm going for Prospect Point and maybe the new accom Vine Court, although it is really expensive, but my theory is that grads are more likely to get it as they will want to look after it, being brand new, and we all know what 18 year old students are like :smile:

Have you any thoughts on which accom you're choosing?
Reply 425
Original post by stacey27
I've firmed Liverpool, think I'm going for Prospect Point and maybe the new accom Vine Court, although it is really expensive, but my theory is that grads are more likely to get it as they will want to look after it, being brand new, and we all know what 18 year old students are like :smile:

Hi
I've been offered Liverpool too and need to think about accom. Did you find details online, or when you've firmed the offer? I haven't fully decided yet tbh. I'm going to be bringing my horse so I need to consider that too.
Reply 426
Original post by sophie_aj
Yeah I saw that link too thanks! I know, tell me about it. Expensive! I am trying to organise Ems part-time but Edinburgh are not very keen to let you do it that way. Humph. But I'll figure it out somehow! It's slowly beginning to feel real now...

Yes I know im having the exact same problem!! I don't understand why when its like dogs or horses that dont change much round the year I can understand with you sheep and cattle but think they are being a bit unfair to the grads because we have no time!! either people are still at uni or working full time im thinking they are expecting up to die next year!!
Reply 427
Original post by elena1041
Yes I know im having the exact same problem!! I don't understand why when its like dogs or horses that dont change much round the year I can understand with you sheep and cattle but think they are being a bit unfair to the grads because we have no time!! either people are still at uni or working full time im thinking they are expecting up to die next year!!

Have you sorted anything yet? I have managed to sort 1 week of dogs in a block of 3 days then 2 days! But even so I know they are not keen to allow another week in this way! I will wait till I get my June rota for work and then try again. LOL. I thought they would be more helpful!
Reply 428
Original post by bluebird13
Hello I have come on here for some very much needed advice. I just need to explain that I am a graduate and I am 26 years old. I applied to vet school last year and got offers from Bristol and Liverpool. Being a graduate they wanted to charge me between £18,000 and £20,000 a year. I 'ummmed' and 'arrred' but in the end decided I couldn't afford it and to apply again this year for Nottingham and RVC which are £9,000 a year. I didn't even get an interview for RVC, but did so for Notts and I have literally just received my rejection veeeery UPSETTING!!!! I still have my offer for Bristol so now I need advice on wether to bite the bullet and fork out the cash for Bristol or try
again for RVC next year (UHhhh, the thought of going through it all again!) Also, I don't know if I would loose my place for Bristol for good and and then risk not being able to get into RVC, so stuck with no place... Just any advice would be very, very much appreciated!! I have sent 100's of letters asking for funding and already been down that road...

Hey have you heard about the digglers? They assist graduates in UK with raising fees. They sort of give you a charity status... I really think you should go for it with Bristol. I was in a similar position and declined Bristol and I didn't get another offer this year from them anyway... It's Tricky I know. Only you know what your shortfall is for being able to make it. work.
Reply 429
Original post by ponymad*
Hi
I've been offered Liverpool too and need to think about accom. Did you find details online, or when you've firmed the offer? I haven't fully decided yet tbh. I'm going to be bringing my horse so I need to consider that too.

Hi, sorry I'm late with a reply but I've been finishing my dissertation this week so been mega busy!

I had a look online at the options before, but you can't actually apply until you've made your choices on UCAS, Liverpool then send you an ID number and password so you can log on to their SPIDER web system and apply, its pretty easy to use.

Any thoughts on which accom you're choosing??

Are they considering you for the 4 year course? I had an email telling me they were considering me the other day but I dont know if they just send them out after UCAS decisions.
Hey guys, those of you who got into RVC/are already there, have you received any info from them since confirming with UCAS? i haven't had a word since my ucas letter asking me if my choices were correct?
Just like work placements for before we start (not sure what they call it, its PCEMS at livs) and accommodation info?

Also speaking of which what are you planning to do living wise - and do most grads go into halls?
Original post by cornish_pasty
Hey guys, those of you who got into RVC/are already there, have you received any info from them since confirming with UCAS? i haven't had a word since my ucas letter asking me if my choices were correct?
Just like work placements for before we start (not sure what they call it, its PCEMS at livs) and accommodation info?

Also speaking of which what are you planning to do living wise - and do most grads go into halls?

I'm a current RVC student, so not waiting to hear from them...but thought I'd answer anyway!!

Organisation and speed isn't generally RVC's forte, you will get information/paperwork, they can just be a bit slow with it sometimes. If you've got any specific q's in the meantime it's best to ring them and ask! But you will get stuff in due time.

We call the placements AHEMS (Animal Husbandry Extra Mural Studies). You have to do 12 weeks, and people starting the grad/4yr course can pre-count up to 6 weeks. But they have to meet the requirements for type of place/number of animals etc, you will get sent info on this, but if you need to know it ASAP give them a ring. You have to do 2 weeks lambing, equine, dairy, pigs and 4 weeks free choice.

Accom wise - some grads live in halls, some don't, you won't be the odd one out either way. I lived in MaryB and there were two flats of us (13 people) who were on the 4yr course (there were grads on the 5yr course, but they were in different flats). MaryB do try and put people on the grad course all together (if you want to be with them!) There were also grads in College Grove (quite a few americans and a few brits, but not many) they are all mixed courses, so you would also be with people on the 5yr course. Then some people lived in other places rather than in uni halls. Personally I liked being in MaryB, I didn't know anyone before I came to RVC or know London - so halls were an easy place to go, and it was nice that at MaryB they put us in flats of grad students, so when we were stressing about our work level/exams etc we all had the same stuff.

Hope that helps a bit!
Reply 432

Hey sorry for delay! Studying for finals at the mo so crazy busy! Ah new accomodation be nice alright. I need to sit down and have a proper search through it all. I would like to share with a few postgrads, being on the same page and stuff.
Im so looking forward to this! College all over again, and doing something ya love, who could complain about that! I've heard Liverpool's a great city too, cant wait!
Original post by kookabura

Hope that helps a bit!

Thanks kookabura very helpful!! A couple of other people ive spoke to have said thats the best halls to go into as a grad so i think whenever my info arrives thats the one i'll go for! :smile:

Very exciting stuff.
Hi guys and girlies,

For everyone that have already applied for their maintenance loan, how long did they take to reply and how did you find out what you have been awarded?I sent off my paper application about 3 weeks ago and havnt heard anything. I know from my first degree that they can take forever to respond but im worried they may not have got my application and Ill run out of time to submit it again. I want to try and avoid calling as ive phoned several times already and if I dont get stuck in a phone tree I end up with someone really unhelpful! Erg!!
Original post by Phoenix_147
Hi guys and girlies,

For everyone that have already applied for their maintenance loan, how long did they take to reply and how did you find out what you have been awarded?I sent off my paper application about 3 weeks ago and havnt heard anything. I know from my first degree that they can take forever to respond but im worried they may not have got my application and Ill run out of time to submit it again. I want to try and avoid calling as ive phoned several times already and if I dont get stuck in a phone tree I end up with someone really unhelpful! Erg!!

not the answer to your question, but where did you find the paper forms? At the mo the online is just saying i get £0 :/ another random question but do i count as having supported myself because ive been at uni for 3 years or am i still under a parent if you get me? Sorry i know you may know no more than me but i thought i would try the helpful option before resorting to ringing the bleddy unhelpful student finance!! haha :smile:
Hi guys! I have managed to get the full maintenance loan, although it was a faff! I did mine online, and it kept saying that I would only get £0... So I rang, and asked to speak with a supervisor/someone higher up the chain. Had to explain the whole 'vet is an exceptional degree" and then asked them to post me some paperwork with what I was allowed to have. So, in my experience, just keep pestering them on the phone, try and speak with a manager, rather than the normal phone monkeys!
:smile:
Reply 437
not the answer to your question, but where did you find the paper forms? At the mo the online is just saying i get £0 :/ another random question but do i count as having supported myself because ive been at uni for 3 years or am i still under a parent if you get me? Sorry i know you may know no more than me but i thought i would try the helpful option before resorting to ringing the bleddy unhelpful student finance!! haha :smile:

i also used the online form and it says that i'm only entitled to £0 but i phoned them to check and they said the computer system doesn't recognise exception degrees and the assessor will override it when they look at it.

I phoned them up directly (didnt even bother filling online) and asked for a paper copy. If you follow the joyously long phone tree you eventually get to speak to someone. I was on the phone for about 15mins tho. Because I already had a loan Im obviously already registered on their system so he asked me all these security questions, which I couldnt answer as I filled it in like 6 years ago so I had to go the long route of quoting basically every bit of personal info about myself e.g. NI number/address before he would talk to me and send me a form.

Also you still count as a dependent student. In order to not count as one you have to have been working a full time job for the last 3 years. Uni doesnt count. Its annoying but there you go. You will still be assessed on your parents 2010-11 salaries. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any success!
Reply 439
Hi, sorry I'm late with a reply but I've been finishing my dissertation this week so been mega busy!

I had a look online at the options before, but you can't actually apply until you've made your choices on UCAS, Liverpool then send you an ID number and password so you can log on to their SPIDER web system and apply, its pretty easy to use.

Any thoughts on which accom you're choosing??

Are they considering you for the 4 year course? I had an email telling me they were considering me the other day but I dont know if they just send them out after UCAS decisions.

Hey, hope you got your dissertation finished okay.

Thank you for the info. I've not firmed yet but I will look at that when I do. I had an email about the 4 year course too and they said they'd let us know end of April, but heard nothing yet. Have you firmed Liverpool yet?

I think I will get a house outside Liverpool so I'm near my horse, which would make it easier but its super stressful trying to find livery! I haven't even thought about halls or Uni accomm yet but think I will look into it to cover all my options. How about u?

x

Quick Reply

Latest