The Student Room Group

Two things: Cheap Spotter Catchers, good bench?

1st Thing:

Going to be working out from home, without a training partner. To be able to do squats safety, it looks like I'm going to need some spotter catchers! Anybody know where I can get some for a decent price? I can't seem to find any for less that £70.

Two that I've got my eye on so far are here and here.

2nd Thing:

I already have a bench - here. But I recently moved house, and managed to lose the attachment for legs at the end of the bench, and both side attachments as shown in the photo. So it's basically just a bench with a barbell catcher.

I have considered getting a new bench - here. I like the look of this bench, as it also has a lat pull down attachment, and is able to decline for bench press - my old bench had neither of those things. I'm just wondering, is it worth forking out £140 for? Or can I make do with my old bench? Considering I'm just a 16 year old boy with a part time job, and not a great deal of money - I can just about afford a new bench and some squat spotter catchers.

Thanks for any help and advice :smile:

Charlie :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Bump.
Reply 2
Original post by CharlieBoardman
1st Thing:

Going to be working out from home, without a training partner. To be able to do squats safety, it looks like I'm going to need some spotter catchers! Anybody know where I can get some for a decent price? I can't seem to find any for less that £70.

Two that I've got my eye on so far are here and here.

There's no information about how much weight the first one can hold. The second one will be okay weight wise for a while, but I wouldn't trust those safety bars; the information about the weight capacity is probably referring to the stands, not the safety bars and they're to shallow to help out during a squat. Get used to dumping the bar if you get them.

2nd Thing:

I already have a bench - here. But I recently moved house, and managed to lose the attachment for legs at the end of the bench, and both side attachments as shown in the photo. So it's basically just a bench with a barbell catcher.

I have considered getting a new bench - here. I like the look of this bench, as it also has a lat pull down attachment, and is able to decline for bench press - my old bench had neither of those things. I'm just wondering, is it worth forking out £140 for? Or can I make do with my old bench? Considering I'm just a 16 year old boy with a part time job, and not a great deal of money - I can just about afford a new bench and some squat spotter catchers.

Thanks for any help and advice :smile:

Charlie :smile:

Stick with the bench you've got.
Original post by rlw31
There's no information about how much weight the first one can hold. The second one will be okay weight wise for a while, but I wouldn't trust those safety bars; the information about the weight capacity is probably referring to the stands, not the safety bars and they're to shallow to help out during a squat. Get used to dumping the bar if you get them.

Ah thanks :smile:

Stick with the bench you've got.

How come? :smile:
Reply 4

How come? :smile:

It's a lot of money for a vinyl set and 5ft bar, especially if you already have a bench (and a bar and plates). Vinyl discs are dense which means you can't fit a lot of them on the bar (look at the pic), so adding weight onto the bar will be difficult.
Original post by rlw31
It's a lot of money for a vinyl set and 5ft bar, especially if you already have a bench (and a bar and plates). Vinyl discs are dense which means you can't fit a lot of them on the bar (look at the pic), so adding weight onto the bar will be difficult.

Well, I'm not actually that bothered about the barbell and weights that come with it - more so the bench and the lat pull down etc. as I already have enough weights. I only have one barbell at the moment though, and another one wouldn't be too bad - I could use it for exercises which require less weight.
Reply 6
Well, I'm not actually that bothered about the barbell and weights that come with it - more so the bench and the lat pull down etc. as I already have enough weights. I only have one barbell at the moment though, and another one wouldn't be too bad - I could use it for exercises which require less weight.

How long is the bar you've already got? The stands for that bench might come in narrow if you're used to benching with a longer bar.
Original post by rlw31
How long is the bar you've already got? The stands for that bench might come in narrow if you're used to benching with a longer bar.

Only 5ft I think. May be bigger. But the weights I currently use are kilos, not lb's. I can fit enough weight on my current bar for now anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Use a couple of sturdy chairs if you have any (I work out at home too)
Any other opinions?
Both benches are pretty bad. I have never seen a good bench for cheap online unfortunately, though I am spoiled because I normally train in a gym with a competition spec bench.

RLW is correct: those squat catchers are bad. You are better off with sawhorses. The squat stands don't look too stable either, though I suppose they'll work in a pinch.
Original post by The Blind Monk
Both benches are pretty bad. I have never seen a good bench for cheap online unfortunately, though I am spoiled because I normally train in a gym with a competition spec bench.

But they'll serve their purpose won't they? Is it worth me doing what I said? And buying the new one? Or should I keep the one I've got?

RLW is correct: those squat catchers are bad. You are better off with sawhorses. The squat stands don't look too stable either, though I suppose they'll work in a pinch.

They're both crap then? O.o why sell them if they're unstable? Aren't sawhorses only small? :curious:
I've seen decently sized sawhorses that would be much, much better than the squat catchers you've linked to, which I don't rate at all. I wouldn't say there's a point spending the money on the new one. The old one will do fine.

Quick Reply

Latest