The Student Room Group

Optic nerve swollen

I went to the opitcians this week (just to see if i needed glasses because i was getting headaches and migraines) and they found something after doing an eye test where they take a picture of the back of my eyes so I got sent to hospital where the doctor put drops in my eyes to make my iris? bigger and he said my optic nerves were swollen then I had to get a MRI scan the next day the doctor then phoned friday saying it wasn't a brain tumour and he later phoned back saying it was definitely in the brain so I had to go back to the doctors to get more pictures of the back of the eye. I've got more appointments coming up, but I'm worried about what could happen?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is something you should really be discussing in clinic with with your neurologist/ opthalmologist.

I know people who have had optic neuritis, and it was either treated with nothing, or with some steroids. I've also known people to be told that their optic nerve was swollen when it actually wasn't. Noone on here can tell you whether that's what you have, or whether it'll be treated. As for the MRI, no-one has seen that other than your doctor, only he knows if the results are abnormal for you, or not.

Please don't listen to students on here who are untrained and have no clue. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
This is something you should really be discussing in clinic with with your neurologist/ opthalmologist.

I know people who have had optic neuritis, and it was either treated with nothing, or with some steroids. I've also known people to be told that their optic nerve was swollen when it actually wasn't. Noone on here can tell you whether that's what you have, or whether it'll be treated. As for the MRI, no-one has seen that other than your doctor, only he knows if the results are abnormal for you, or not.

Please don't listen to students on here who are untrained and have no clue. :smile:

I hope It's nothing, I'm just very worried and I guess I'll have to wait until more tests are done. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by spacebound.
I hope It's nothing, I'm just very worried and I guess I'll have to wait until more tests are done. Thanks! :smile:

I hope you'll feel well soon :hugs:

Exactly. Wait for the results to be analysed by your doctor. :smile:

I'll give you an example with myself over-analysing test results- my brain MRI will come back abnormal. But small punctuate white matter hyperintensities are found in some people with migraine. If I was to google this, I'd end up convincing myself that I had all kinds of horrid conditions, when actually it's fine and normal for me. So basically I don't.

If you're under the care of various neurologists and opthalmologists, there's nothing on here we can tell you that they can't do better. :smile:
Reply 5
I went to the opitcians this week (just to see if i needed glasses because i was getting headaches and migraines) and they found something after doing an eye test where they take a picture of the back of my eyes so I got sent to hospital where the doctor put drops in my eyes to make my iris? bigger and he said my optic nerves were swollen then I had to get a MRI scan the next day the doctor then phoned friday saying it wasn't a brain tumour and he later phoned back saying it was definitely in the brain so I had to go back to the doctors to get more pictures of the back of the eye. I've got more appointments coming up, but I'm worried about what could happen?

70% of Optic neuritis cases are caused by multiple sclerosis.

Do you have any other symptoms? Like weakness in the arms and legs? Tingling in the extremities? Numbness? Fatigue?

As above, i hope everything goes well and it is just a one off thing, but it is a cause for concern as Optic neuritis is usually caused by something more sinister.

(Graduate in Optometry)
Original post by Umairy363

Do you have any other symptoms? Like weakness in the arms and legs? Tingling in the extremities? Numbness? Fatigue?

As above, i hope everything goes well and it is just a one off thing, but it is a cause for concern as Optic neuritis is usually caused by something more sinister.

(Graduate in Optometry)

OP, these are exactly the people who you shouldn't listen to, and the reason that threads like this are unhelpful for you. OP doesn't know WHAT she has yet, if anything.

A trainee optometrist thinking they're some kind of online consultant neurologist. :colonhash:
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
OP, these are exactly the people who you shouldn't listen to, and the reason that threads like this are unhelpful for you. OP doesn't know WHAT she has yet, if anything.

A trainee optometrist thinking they're some kind of online consultant neurologist. :colonhash:

As I said, it may not be anything. I'm just telling the OP as it is tbh. Sorry if it seems a bit blunt. I don't claim to be any expert consultant nor am i saying i'm 100% correct. I'm basically telling the OP, why they are doing such extensive testing. Another thing i don't like about forums, is that everyone can cast judgement on you after just one comment.

OP, i hope everything does go your way and it is nothing =).
Reply 8
Hi there, I've had exactly the same thing happen to me... except I went originally because I suddenly became very short sighted in my left eye. I've been to the hospital several times and also had a CT scan of my brain which came back clear. The swollen optic nerve in itself is not a problem, but can be a sign of more serious things going on. Try not to worry though, OP, because 4 months (it's a long elimination process!!) after finding out about my swollen optic nerve, I've been given the all clear, and now just need glasses.
Reply 9

(Graduate in Optometry)

You know absolutely nothing about this case though. You have no idea what they actually found on MR. You know nothing about the patient. Throwing about these figures is just irresponsible.
As I said, it may not be anything. I'm just telling the OP as it is tbh. Sorry if it seems a bit blunt. I don't claim to be any expert consultant nor am i saying i'm 100% correct. I'm basically telling the OP, why they are doing such extensive testing. Another thing i don't like about forums, is that everyone can cast judgement on you after just one comment.

OP, i hope everything does go your way and it is nothing =).

Yeah, but as a professional optician, you should really know that you are insinuating a diagnosis which you are not qualified to make. This is at best unhelpful, and at worst unprofessional.
Reply 11
Original post by nexttime
You know absolutely nothing about this case though. You have no idea what they actually found on MR. You know nothing about the patient. Throwing about these figures is just irresponsible.

I don't claim to know anything. I didn't diagnose the OP with anything. I briefly was explaining why the docs are doing such extensive testing. I did mention that it may not be anything. Geez everyone's so touchy on this forum
Reply 12
When I went for an eye test this wasn't what i was expecting. It's all new to me and I'll just wait on getting more appointments and seeing what the doctors say. Thank you for all your help!
OP I'm sure you'll be fine, dont worry about it and know youre in the best possible hands. Maybe dont check back on this thread now, because uniformed guess do not help and sometimes internet research on an illness is the worst thing you can do.
Hope all goes well, OP.

I was born with brain cysts and have part of my optic nerve missing as a result. (it's the fibres; no actual break in the nerve)

I have a friend who had a similar problem to you. This was many years ago; so your outcome would be different to his. He had a tumour and now has no optic nerve and is now blind as a result. (There is nothing wrong with his eye)
ive had swollen optic nerve for 2 years been to all the special doctors ive need to see and had a mri and it came back clear and i went for an eye test a couple of weeks ago and ive been referred back to see a neroglogist (dunno how to spell it) i read online that having swollen optic nerves can be a sign of ms but no doctors have even said anything about ms , im so confused im on 17 :s-smilie:
Reply 16

(Graduate in Optometry)

Rubbish.

This history & reported exam findings would not be typical of optic neuritis due to MS.

Furthermore, any bombshell about MS or other life-changing diagnoses should come from a neurologist/ophthalmologist, not some idiot on a student forum.

As an optometry graduate, you should know better.
Original post by jimbo139
Rubbish.

This history & reported exam findings would not be typical of optic neuritis due to MS.

Furthermore, any bombshell about MS or other life-changing diagnoses should come from a neurologist/ophthalmologist, not some idiot on a student forum.

As an optometry graduate, you should know better.

i went to the hospital monday and they have sent me for a lumbar puncture they think i have this rare condition that some girls get but i cant remember what its called :/
Reply 18
Original post by daynahudson
i went to the hospital monday and they have sent me for a lumbar puncture they think i have this rare condition that some girls get but i cant remember what its called :/

Probably 'Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension' or 'Benign Intracranial Hypertension'?

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Idiopathic-Intracranial-Hypertension.htm
yes it is one of them

Latest