The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Kings College London Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

I am thinking of applying-

GCSE's- 7A*'s, 5A's
A-levels- A*AAB (the B is in biology, does that matter)
UKCAT- 707.5 average, BAND 1

what are my chances??
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 661
Original post by Dandaman9999
Do Kings look at the Situational Judgement Test band in the UKCAT at all? I've heard that some universities are beginning to use it this year

Email response from kings:
"The new addition (SJT) to the UKCAT will be taken into account but will not form a core component of the assessment we carry out. We will look at the UKCAT average. This past year a minimum competitive average was 695. We also look for applicants to meet (or be predicted to meet) the minimum entry requirements, both academic and non-academic."
Reply 662
I am thinking to apply for undergraduate medicine at KCL.

The one thing stopping me however is my bad GCSEs.

I am an international student from New Zealand and here we are allowed only six IGCSE subjects which my school will provide a report for this to the universities if it helps at all.

My problem now is that I achieved only 4A* and 2B out of my six subjects, the A* in math, chemistry, physics, biology and the B in English literature and English language, therefore making me barely meeting their minimum requirement.

However in terms of A levels I took the following

Academic info...

I received an average score of 792.5/900 in UKCAT. I am just concerned if they will look at individual sections given my bad VR.

The following is my score for individual sections

Academic info...

I would just like to ask if realistically should I apply for KCL medicine, I would not dare asking of my chances for an offer, rather will I have a chance for interview to express myself and hopefully form a good impression, given my bad IGCSE grades?

Thank you all for reading this, and further thanks to replies.
Reply 663
What are my chances of an interview with a UKCAT score of 730 and 6A*s 5As for GCSE? Also, anyone with any thoughts on what the competitive average will be this year? Thanks in advance
Reply 664
hmm.. is kings out of reach of me?
GCSE- 6A*S 1A 3BS
AS- AABBB
UKCAT-690
Done plenty of work exp and i think my p.s is of a decent standard. Opinions please?
Reply 665
will it be safe applying with 702.5 UKCAT ??
Reply 666
Original post by Shiam
will it be safe applying with 702.5 UKCAT ??

I'd think so. Their 695 figure was a mean average. What are the rest of your academics like?
Reply 667
Hi ! I really want to go to Kings as I got an unexpected UKCAT score
I got 6A*s 3As and a b in GCSE and AAAB at AS, predicted A* A* A or A* A A. I got scores of 640 VR 540 QR 900 AR and 890 DA and band 1. I did volunteering in Kenya but haven't done a care home placement, will this be ok?
Original post by Bomb
I am thinking to apply for undergraduate medicine at KCL.

The one thing stopping me however is my bad GCSEs.

I am an international student from New Zealand and here we are allowed only six IGCSE subjects which my school will provide a report for this to the universities if it helps at all.

My problem now is that I achieved only 4A* and 2B out of my six subjects, the A* in math, chemistry, physics, biology and the B in English literature and English language, therefore making me barely meeting their minimum requirement.

However in terms of A levels I took the following

Academic info...

I received an average score of 792.5/900 in UKCAT. I am just concerned if they will look at individual sections given my bad VR.

The following is my score for individual sections

Academic info...

I would just like to ask if realistically should I apply for KCL medicine, I would not dare asking of my chances for an offer, rather will I have a chance for interview to express myself and hopefully form a good impression, given my bad IGCSE grades?

Thank you all for reading this, and further thanks to replies.

I've heard kings prefer applicants with lots of A* at gcse but you've got a really high ukcat and alevels which would compensate for it I think....
Reply 669
will 6A*s 3As a B, avg of 742.5 and AAAB be enough predicted A* A A
Reply 670
Hey, I just took my UKcat and it didn't go too well! My average was 640 so i'm not sure if I still have a chance if I apply to King's for medicine. I got 7A*'s, 3A's and 1B at GCSE and 3A's in chemistry, biology and maths and B in English lit at AS. Could anyone let me know if they think it's still worth me applying?
Reply 671
Original post by tushar009
Yes if you have all A*'s at GCSE you will be fine. My friend got an offer from kcl this year with 650 ukcat and 11A* GCSE

Hey, would my application be rejected straight away with GCSE results; 5A* 4As 1B. AS results; 4As and 3As for a-levels along with 685 average for UKCAT!??
Original post by f.loco
Hey, would my application be rejected straight away with GCSE results; 5A* 4As 1B. AS results; 4As and 3As for a-levels along with 685 average for UKCAT!??

Post on 2014 thread :smile:
Reply 673
Original post by Blueray2
Post on 2014 thread :smile:
ahah yeh, but cba, what do you think of the results?:smile::tongue:
My AS grades were BCCC ( biology, chemistry, physics and maths ) with predictions of AAAB respectively.
GCSE 6A* 6A
I got a UKCAT score of 2840 band 2.

i was wondering if this is enough to get an interview?

would love any advice and help, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest