The Student Room Group

REALLY?? How hard is AS level exactly?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drizz
I'm going to start AS Level's this September, so I was basically wondering the same thing. I'm assuming (from my mates and replies on this thread) that it's pretty much dependent on what subject you do, how much you enjoy it and how determined you are. I enjoy English Language, Business Studies and Sociology therefore this is what I've chosen for AS, now with that being said, it doesn't mean I don't have to work hard, but it's going to be more enjoyable than subjects that I won't enjoy such as, Sciences.

My point being is that you'll find it easier with the subjects you decide to pick based upon what you like, rather than doing something you're forced to do just to impress people, universities, etc. Like always, stay on top of the work load and continue to go over your revision materials, e.g, notes, booklets and so on.

Doing subjects you're going to enjoy does make it easier. You begrudge hard work for something you don't enjoy, whereas at least if you enjoy the subject it lessens the blow of the work a bit.

3 factors ultimately determine how hard A levels are:
- what subjects you choose
- your natural ability and aptitude for your chosen subjects
- how ambitious you are with your end grade (for example, if you're extremely naturally talented at maths but you're happy with a C, you aren't going to need to put in that much hard work)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 101
Original post by Cutie_Pie
Do you have any websites/blogs/ books I can find in a library? I dont want to spend money on books yet incase my school provides them :wink:

How did you catch the hang of the exams earlier on?
And what techniques should I get used to? Are the structure of the exams really different from GCSE's?
Do you recommend keeping weekdays as homework & study time and only playing in the weekends?

Yes I do, either do your homework in the free periods or straight after school. Don't leave them for the weekend as you may not be focused on them enough as their may be other things popping up. Make sure you get used to the structure. A Levels place a heavy emphasis on your style of writing. (Well for essay based subjects) and for non-essay subjects you must read in between lessons and attempt things indipendtley. Also please when it comes to exam time, revise at least 2 months before. Make a schedule and do past papers. But dont stress yourself out. Create plans, give yourself free time and importantly treat yourself. Dont over work your brain. By the way get some excersise. Believe it or not, you'll feel more willing to do more work.
Original post by Cutie_Pie
Every AS thread I go to, everyone is saying that you need to work from day 1 and rewrite your notes everyday, always complete homework, stay motivated, etc..

So how hard is it exactly to revise from the first day and continuously study? If every sixth former is telling people to work really hard, surely everyone would listen and get A's in all subjects!

So why does everyone succeed, what are we doing wrong?

Any other tips for the soon-to-be sixth former?

Im taking:
Maths
Bio
Chem
and eng lit but I want to change this to RS (philosophy and ethics)
...And I want a medical career, not sure which job specially though :wink:

Thank you, wonderful sixth formers on TSR

PS. How do I make a teacher favouritise me :biggrin:

"Every AS thread I go to, everyone is saying that you need to work from day 1 and rewrite your notes everyday, always complete homework, stay motivated, etc.."

There are a lot of tryhards on the Student Room who will tell you that overworking yourself like that is a good idea. Here's my suggestion; pay attention in class, go back and tackle things you didn't understand and do all of your homework and do it thoroughly. Try stretch and challenge exercises if things turn out to be too easy for you.
if u are coming from igcse and are doing all sciences and math let me tell you. YOU. ARE. ****ED. the funny thing is how people told me this and i laughed it of now im laughing for different reasons, the workload is **** worse if u have a bad teacher, the jump in knowledge is unreal and unfair considering you only have less than a year and the fact that you are coming from igcse, u will loose sleep and understand why people drop out of school, your grades will drop and if that doesnt make you feel like **** your parents will , everyday i cry laugh at how i thought i could pull this off and cry again then pretend i am fine. sometimes i feel like im going crazy. So how do i really find A levels lets just say i am waiting to get COVID and die. anyway best of luck to u <3p.s get good grades and do the hw also don't be a priss and the teacher will have u as a favorite
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest