The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Where can you go for an AS test?
Go to your GP and ask how it is done. I don't mean to sound sarcastic or taking the piss but your GP will know the answers.
Reply 182
Aspergers is part of mine and everyone on here's life. Mild or severe, it affects us all.

If I had to choose, I would decide to keep my Aspergers as it makes me who I am

I'm happy with my life and will never give up on anything or anyone

I'll always be kind to those who are kind to me and will always be a friend to anyone who wants my friendship.

Never hate yourselfs and accept who you are. Noone is normal, it dosen't exsist just like being perfect is a myth.
Original post by Pi!
Where can you go for an AS test?

Your GP will refer you. In my case, I saw a trainee. He explained that he only knows where children are tested, (at the child development centre) he'll need to speak to someone and then contact me. He contacted me 4 days later and I received a phone call from the mental health team (this has confused me slightly - because I've been told that Autism is a developmental disorder and not mental health problem?) and now have to wait and see what happens next.

I did email uni first and was told to see my GP.

I am in the situation whereby, I have numerous other problems and my GP said that some of them could overlap - hence possible Autism symptoms. However, at least 2 of those problems, there are links between them and Autism.

Because I mentioned my speech (some people can't understand it at all - I do not have an accent like that) I had to sit there and repeat my date of birth.

In all honesty, I've been told on and off for the past 9 years that I may have it and just ignored it. I was a bit shocked when it was the first question someone asked me when she met me.

On that note, has anyone ever had someone say that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mess.
God I hated therapy! Went for depression and it pissed me off being told what I already knew from a pop psycology postcard.

+1 for that.

Original post by generalebriety
You seem to fit in just fine to me. You don't agree with us, but so what? You're entitled to your opinion, and it's a reasonable one.

So, what does the aspie label mean to you? You talked earlier about a difficulty processing information, but is there more?

The label itself doesn't mean much of anything to me, but it's good that I know why I am the way I am. I prefer to know things, even if it's bad news.
As far as the AS symptoms are concerned I'm pretty much a textbook case. My wacky frontal lobe functions aside, the next biggest area of concern is (not surprisingly) social interaction. I just don't know how to interact with people or think the way they do. To be honest, that doesn't really bother me much because I have a very low need for social interaction, I'm much happier being by myself. I'm no misanthropist, but most of the time it seems that the efforts and compromise other people require are far too great compared to the gains.

Original post by LipstickKisses
I found mine has 'calmed down' as I've gotten older, it's still there but a lot of the negatives are less intense than before. Maybe the same will happen? I think the five stages thing applies to me too, I don't know how long you've known, but it took me four years to accept mine.

I think I just need to learn how to deal with certain things, find ways to work around the difficulties and all that. Although I know I will never be one of those people who are proud to be on the spectrum or think AS is a blessing. (I'm pretty sure those people have it quite easy, allowing them to think like that. Either that, or they're just making things sound better than they are.)
Original post by Peregrinum
+
I think I just need to learn how to deal with certain things, find ways to work around the difficulties and all that. Although I know I will never be one of those people who are proud to be on the spectrum or think AS is a blessing. (I'm pretty sure those people have it quite easy, allowing them to think like that. Either that, or they're just making things sound better than they are.)

I think that's right, it's about learning strategies that suit you to overcome the difficulties. Sometimes it takes a little time, but you will get there :smile:

As for the last bit, I both agree and disagree. My AS isn't that much of a barrier now but through the ages of 11-16 it was hell, I didn't have it easy at all. Secondary school kids aren't the most understanding of people out there, lol. I also have sensory problems quite badly which particularly affect food. Aside from that though, it's not as bad as it used to be at all. So I wouldn't say it's easier, just that people who see it in a positive way have learned to deal with the negatives successfully.
I have an appointment through to be tested. I am not looking forward to it. I am now going to have to somehow break this to my parents. Hopefully, it won't be too bad - they suspect that I have it. And unlike 2 years ago, it's not some ultra rare condition (I have one that affects less than 200 people in the UK) that I can't tell them what it is.
Lol, according to some idiot on TSR, because I'm a member of this society and gaming ones, I must be "a fugly tramp with a horrendous personality"

I don't even... :facepalm2: Some people are such idiots. :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Lol, according to some idiot on TSR, because I'm a member of this society and gaming ones, I must be "a fugly tramp with a horrendous personality"

I don't even... :facepalm2: Some people are such idiots. :colonhash:

LOL (@ the idiot). I think people with AS make for the most loving and loyal friends once you prove yourself not to be a complete plank. I certainly found this with some people.
Original post by The_master616
LOL (@ the idiot). I think people with AS make for the most loving and loyal friends once you prove yourself not to be a complete plank. I certainly found this with some people.

For some reason, the LOL (@ the idiot) thing has me in stitches :rofl:

And I agree with this. Once people realise I'm not as cold hearted as I come over, I'm a very loyal, kind friend, and I've found that true of other AS people. I think (well for me anyway) it's because we don't feel social pressure like others do - example, if I could see someone getting picked on in school, I'd go and sort it out instead of thinking "oooh popular kids, better stay away, they're socially higher than me" like most people.
Reply 190
Well today went well :colonhash:
Original post by cpdavis

What happened? :hugs:
Reply 192
Original post by cpdavis

Are you okay?
For some reason, the LOL (@ the idiot) thing has me in stitches :rofl:

And I agree with this. Once people realise I'm not as cold hearted as I come over, I'm a very loyal, kind friend, and I've found that true of other AS people. I think (well for me anyway) it's because we don't feel social pressure like others do - example, if I could see someone getting picked on in school, I'd go and sort it out instead of thinking "oooh popular kids, better stay away, they're socially higher than me" like most people.

Please rate some other members before rating this member again.
Original post by The_master616
Please rate some other members before rating this member again.

Aw thankyou, it's the thought that counts :love:

Just been called 'rain-woman' by the same person now :teehee: Bitch is gon' have to do better than that, I've heard far worse. :colonhash:

Just been called 'rain-woman' by the same person now :teehee: Bitch is gon' have to do better than that, I've heard far worse. :colonhash:

Some people really do need to get a life!

(them; not you)

:hugs:
Original post by OU Student
Some people really do need to get a life!

(them; not you)

I know, all I did was say some women in a picture looked similar and out of nowhere he brought up the fact I have AS. What an idiot. :colonhash:

Original post by Spontogical
:hugs:

Thank-you :hugs:
Original post by OU Student
I have an appointment through to be tested. I am not looking forward to it. I am now going to have to somehow break this to my parents. Hopefully, it won't be too bad - they suspect that I have it. And unlike 2 years ago, it's not some ultra rare condition (I have one that affects less than 200 people in the UK) that I can't tell them what it is.

I have appointment coming up as well however I volunteered to participate in some research for them so going to be a extra long day.
Reply 199
I wondered if anyone with Asperger's was studying Medicine ? and how they was finding it, I really want to either become a clinical Psychologist or a Doctor, Worried about it just being out of my reach and being far to difficult!

Quick Reply

Latest