The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King’s College London Open Week 12-16 March

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hi,
I'm an international student from Singapore who would like to study medicine in king's.

1. What are the requirements specifically? Is bio chem and math required at A2 level?

2. I understand kings places great emphasis on gcse grades and the ukcat scores. Given that I did not take my o levels, the equivalent of gcses, how would the applications team process my application? Would not taking the o levels hinder my application process? Also if that so, how do I give the relevant proofs of my English qualifications?

3. For co-curricular activities, what is the range of the years whereby the admissions team would take them into consideration?

Thank you so much for the help in such a long list of questions!
(edited 12 years ago)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 181
Hello Laura,

Thank you so much for answering all my questions! I feel much more comfortable now :smile: However I have a few new questions now:

About the conditional offer. Does it have a time limit or is there a deadline in which you must submit all the necessary documents? I will graduate June 25, but get my official degree on paper July 4. So IF I get accepted into the programme, it means that it will take another two months before I can submit the rest of the documents. Will this be a problem?

Also, I have been trying to find the equivalent of a 2:1 degree in the Netherlands, but with no success. I am a little confused, because I have found different explanations for a 2:1 degree; some websites say your average of all your grades must be between 60-70% and other websites state your average has to be 75% or above. Could you maybe give me some more insight on what a 2:1 degree is exactly? And does it count for all 4 years of my studies or only the last three years? My average grade of my last three years is a 7.588 and from all four years my average is 7.87. Is this enough? And if it isn't do I still have a chance of getting accepted?

How many students can enter the programme?
And how long does it usually take to receive a (un)conditional offer after you have applied?

Sorry for asking this much questions! Many thanks in advance! I'm a little worried about the 2:1 degree thing, since we don't have that in the Netherlands. Hope you can give me some more info about that :smile:

rachelle / 瑞雪 :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi everyone,

So its Day Two of our Open Week! We've had some great questions already, and we'll be getting back to any new questions asap!

Today we've got current King's students (who are studying a range of programmes) joining us so feel free to drop them a line with your questions!

Speak soon! :smile:

Fran
Reply 183
Hi All,

I’m Charlotte, a fourth year student here at King’s, studying BA European Studies and French. I’m here to give a student’s perspective and answer any questions on student life, studying at King’s and living in London.

Hope I can help!

Charlotte
Original post by Natty.B
Hi, I was wondering what the entry requirements are for BSc Business Management, I have noticed on the online prospectus it says 3 As at A-level (AAA) and 1 AS, what grade is needed for the 1 AS (if that makes sense). Thanks in advance!!

Hi Natty.B!

OK, so I've just spoken with the admissions team for BSc Business Management.
In terms of the AS level, it needs to be a B, so you will need 3A's at A level and 1 B at AS Level.

Hope that helps!:smile:

Fran
Original post by Yumnaarrhhh
Hi :smile:

The requirements for the courses im looking to do are around AAA and an AS grade.

I was wondering if it would be looked upon more favourably if someone was to take on 4 subjects at the start of their AS year and then to drop one and carry on with 3 alevels in the second year..
OR if someone started of with 3 alevels and picked up an AS at the beginning of their second year..
In the end, in both situations you will end up with 3Alevels and 1 AS..

(Sorry im not very good at explaining :colondollar:)

Thank youuuuu :smile: :smile:

Hi Yumnaarrhh,

Thanks for your question! You don't mention which programmes you're interested in so it makes it a bit harder to be precise with the answer. However if you are meeting the entry requirements for the programme in the end, you should be fine :smile:

Hope this helps!

Fran
Reply 186
Original post by rr0
Thanks very much for answering these questions.

I have another question about the maths course.

Do you have to choose your 2nd semester modules at the start of the year at the same time as choosing your 1st semester modules? Or do you have a chance to find out if you enjoy your 1st semester selections before choosing for the 2nd semester?

Thanks in advance.

Hi rr0,

Thanks for your question! Usually you are able to choose your second year modules towards the end of your first year. This means that you get a feel for the courses and what you have found particularly interesting. You will be given a personal tutor when you arrive at King’s and you will be able to talk over your module choices with them.

Speaking from personal experience it may be worth looking at what modules you are interested in from an early stage in your degree. Some modules fit together better than others and as a result its necessary to take a module in first year, in order to qualify for a specific module in second year. This is usually explained in your induction meeting.

Hope that makes sense and helps,

Charlotte
Reply 187
Original post by maxcartwright
hello :smile:

how well respected is the war studies BA? i've asked a couple questions about it before, and researched other unis that offer it (birmingham, kent) but KCL seems to be a head above them all. also, can you give examples on some of the speakers that have visited the dept?

Hi maxcartwright,

Thanks for your question. The war studies department at King’s is highly respected, and having taken some courses in the department I can see why!
With regards to speakers we have had quite a few high profile speakers in recent months, including Noam Chomsky, Desmond Tutu, Francois Hollande and General Petraeus.

Personally I have been to events ranging from talks from Daniel Cohn-Bendit through to round table discussions with holocaust and genocide survivors.

You can find a comprehensive list of war studies specific speakers here: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/sspp/ws/events/

Hope that helps,
Charlotte
Reply 188
Original post by emmy1313
Hey,

I'm currently holding a conditional offer for Medicine 2012 entry and I was wondering which vaccines I need to get and also if I will need to get them myself before the start of the course.

Thanks!

Hello Emmy1313,
If the department or university has not provided you with a list of vaccinations that you need to have had before arriving at KCL, then it would be a good idea to contact the School of Medicine to inquire about it. It would also be a good idea to contact your GP in order to check which vaccinations you have already received and whether or not there are any that you still have not taken. If you are an international student, it would also be wise to check in with the UK Border Agency to see if they have a list of required vac cinations from the country you are coming from. You would need to get these vaccinations done at your local GP office before arriving at KCL.

Hope that helps!

- Dalia
*DRUGS ISSUE*

Hi Fran,

I have heard some discouraging things about King's vis-à-vis the rampant consumption of drugs on the campus. I read on a blog that sometimes the lecturers at King's offer drugs to their tutorial group. This piece of news, false though it may be, has seriously put me off firming my KCL offer. I am not saying that I believe the news, but you never know. I'm an international student and I don't want to pay £ 20,000+ every year just to study in an unhealthy and squalid environment. I hope you understand my concern. Please do clarify whether any such cases have come up at King's recently. Thanks!
Reply 190
Hello everyone!

I'm Dalia. I'm currently enrolled in the postgraduate Public Health programme here at KCL. I'm a full time international student and a student ambassador. I'm here, along with Charlotte, to provide you with an inside look at student life at KCL, information about accommodations, living in London, and any information that international students may have about attending a university in London.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

- Dalia
Reply 191
Hi there!
I applied for the BA International Politics programme late November and received an offer last week...only it was for the BA/BSc Politics of the International Economy course instead!
I intend on firming this anyway as the courses seem similar (and I just love King's!), I was just very surprised that I had been moved from one course to another. Is there any particular reason for this, or is it quite common?

Thanks for all your help!
yasmyne_
Reply 192
Original post by rr0
Hi Fran,

In reply to an earlier question you wrote ...

Do you know if something similar is available for picking up some computer skills e.g. to learn some programming?

Thanks for answering all of these questions - it's very helpful.

Hi rr0,

Another good question!

King’s offers lots of additional skill programmes from event management and project management through to essay, presentation and computer skills. Some of these programmes are offered by the Student Union, and others by King’s itself.

When you start at King’s you will be given an induction into basic computer skills from the information centre. There are then optional courses to supplement this training throughout the year, which will be emailed to you.
I’m afraid as far as I am aware there is not a specific course in computer programming. Sorry! There is a summer programme in programming, but this would incur an additional fee.

Hope that help,

Charlotte
Will someone answer my aforementioned question (drugs related) or is it tantamount to taking the skeleton out of the closet?????
Reply 194
Original post by Sherskey
Hi,
I'm an international student from Singapore who would like to study medicine in king's.

1. What are the requirements specifically? Is bio chem and math required at A2 level?

2. I understand kings places great emphasis on gcse grades and the ukcat scores. Given that I did not take my o levels, the equivalent of gcses, how would the applications team process my application? Would not taking the o levels hinder my application process? Also if that so, how do I give the relevant proofs of my English qualifications?

3. For co-curricular activities, what is the range of the years whereby the admissions team would take them into consideration?

Hello Sherskey,

The online prospectus can give you a detailed list of requirements https://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/entryrequirements/name/medicine/alpha/M/header_search/ , however, currently we do not have entry requirements specifically for students coming from Singapore. Despite this, I can tell you that one of the requirements from Singaporean students are 3 A Levels (or H2 subjects) and 1 AS (H1 subject) where Chemistry and Biology are compulsary subjects. According to the KCL entry requirements for the Medical programme, GCSE grades are required. However, I would advise you to contact the the Health Admissions Office [email protected] for more details and information that would be specific to your case.

Another interesting website to browse: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/international/yourcountry/singapore/info.aspx
This provides information for students applying to KCL from Singapore.

I hope this information has been useful.
Good luck!

- Dalia
Reply 195
Original post by Sherskey
Hi,

Hello Sherskey,

The online prospectus can give you a detailed list of requirements: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/entryrequirements/name/medicine/alpha/M/header_search/ , however, currently we do not have entry requirements specifically for students coming from Singapore. Despite this, I can tell you that one of the requirements from Singaporean students are 3 A Levels (or H2 subjects) and 1 AS (H1 subject) where Chemistry and Biology are compulsary subjects. According to the KCL entry requirements for the Medical programme, GCSE grades are required. However, I would advise you to contact the the Health Admissions Office [email protected] for more details and information that would be specific to your case.

Another interesting website to browse: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/international/yourcountry/singapore/info.aspx
This provides information for students applying to KCL from Singapore.

I hope this information has been useful.
Good luck!

- Dalia
Original post by prospectiveoxonian
Will someone answer my aforementioned question (drugs related) or is it tantamount to taking the skeleton out of the closet?????

Please remember that the KCL staff are only on here intermittently. They have other jobs to do in addition to answering questions on here and they've been great at ensuring their answers to users are detailed and personal. This may require research, which takes time. With regards to your actual question, the fact that KCL hasn't replied to you with 13 minutes of asking a question does not mean that they're worried about "taking a skeleton out of the closet" ... it means that you've only given them 13 minutes to answer and as they're going through the questions systematically then it will take time to get to you.

Have a bit of patience, you don't need to spam the thread to get your question answered. You're not the only one who wants a response - the number of questions on this thread has been absolutely overwhelming given we're only on day two and it's great that KCL want to be on TSR to work with you guys and help you out with your applications but they need time to do so :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by prospectiveoxonian
*DRUGS ISSUE*

Hi Fran,

I have heard some discouraging things about King's vis-à-vis the rampant consumption of drugs on the campus. I read on a blog that sometimes the lecturers at King's offer drugs to their tutorial group. This piece of news, false though it may be, has seriously put me off firming my KCL offer. I am not saying that I believe the news, but you never know. I'm an international student and I don't want to pay £ 20,000+ every year just to study in an unhealthy and squalid environment. I hope you understand my concern. Please do clarify whether any such cases have come up at King's recently. Thanks!

Hi prospectiveoxonian

Thanks for your messages, apologies for not getting back to you sooner, we're just catching up on some of the other queries that have come in overnight.

Firstly, I must say that King's College London and the King's College London Student Union have an absolute no tolerance policy to drug taking and the possession/distribution of drugs on campus. This is not something I have ever heard of in the 3+ years I have worked here and I'm sure does not occur. I totally understand your concern and you're need to check out the claims but I can say with confidence that this sort of activity does not take place at King's.

I hope this helps to clarify the matter.

Fran
Reply 198
Original post by King’s College London
Hi prospectiveoxonian

Thanks for your messages, apologies for not getting back to you sooner, we're just catching up on some of the other queries that have come in overnight.

Firstly, I must say that King's College London and the King's College London Student Union have an absolute no tolerance policy to drug taking and the possession/distribution of drugs on campus. This is not something I have ever heard of in the 3+ years I have worked here and I'm sure does not occur. I totally understand your concern and you're need to check out the claims but I can say with confidence that this sort of activity does not take place at King's.

I hope this helps to clarify the matter.

Fran

Hi,
I completely agree with Fran. I have been a student here for four years now and can honestly say that nothing like that has ever happened to me, and I have never heard of it happening to anyone else.

I find King’s and the surrounding area to be a very safe environment and have never ever had an issue crime related or otherwise. The university itself, alongside the student union, has a very safe community feel to it and I have never heard of drugs being an issue.

I hope this clears things up a little bit

Charlotte
Reply 199
Hi!

I have an interview at King's next week for Dietetics. Just wondering whether anyone has any advice and support. This is my first interview for a university course and really don't know what to expect. Any advice would be helpful. :smile:

Thanks

Rosy

Quick Reply

Latest