The Student Room Group

Rescue Remedy

Thought I'd give it a go to calm my nerves during exams, results days and presentations. It should arrive tomorrow.

What do you guys think of it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, it's basically a placebo. Although it still may work...

Everyone gets nerves on exam days ect...just embrace!
i know bach flower remedies and rescue remedy are good for horses but for humans i have no idea :/

my tsr name is actually a song :smile:

its natural so its worth a try :smile: its better then medicine last thing you need is chemicals.

just try and relax the day before do something fun and cram in a bit of study .. then good night of sleep and a yummy breakfast in the morning ! nerves are good for you though they help you perform to your best good luck !

i know my teachers used to say you need to study 5 hours a day ... which is utter bull****. your brain can only give you one good hour of focus and retain everything if you add more its just not going in enough. its like overflowing a bathtub i had one teacher though who was so awesome and he said that is how you pass those exams you cram for them. most teachers i knew would deny that but its what is done and works. if you learn something 5 months before a exam its no good you need to revise it the days before. cramming works yeah its a pain in the arse but it keeps you fresh and if you manage cramming time propler with rest and some fun its doable :smile:

maybe thats just me though everyone studies differently

right i got negged for being honest ? good to luck to ye
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Rescue Remedy
i know bach flower remedies and rescue remedy are good for horses but for humans i have no idea :/

my tsr name is actually a song :smile:

its natural so its worth a try :smile: its better then medicine last thing you need is chemicals.

just try and relax the day before do something fun and cram in a bit of study .. then good night of sleep and a yummy breakfast in the morning ! nerves are good for you though they help you perform to your best good luck !

i know my teachers used to say you need to study 5 hours a day ... which is utter bull****. your brain can only give you one good hour of focus and retain everything if you add more its just not going in enough. its like overflowing a bathtub i had one teacher though who was so awesome and he said that is how you pass those exams you cram for them. most teachers i knew would deny that but its what is done and works. if you learn something 5 months before a exam its no good you need to revise it the days before. cramming works yeah its a pain in the arse but it keeps you fresh and if you manage cramming time propler with rest and some fun its doable :smile:

maybe thats just me though everyone studies differently

right i got negged for being honest ? good to luck to ye

Well considering it's been proven that rescue remedy is no more effective than a placebo, it's not better than medicines (and the medicines we are talking about here would be something like propranolol, which is reserved for proper anxiety)

and about cramming, I don't agree...I would say the complete opposite...spend a lot of time revising, but not full on, sleeping as much as possible, and not doing anything for at least a few days before the exam.
I used Rescue Remedy for some of my driving lessons, because I used to suffer from terrible nerves when I first started leaning. I had a long break from lessons and then I'd started learning again, and I don't know if it was really the RR or just the fact that I had a new instructor who was much calmer than my old one, but I did indeed feel an effect and calm down, so much so that I eventually stopped using RR and the nerves didn't really return back much :smile:

You may as well give it a go, as it won't hurt and even if it's just a placebo effect, it may well still help you :yep:
Original post by moya
Well considering it's been proven that rescue remedy is no more effective than a placebo, it's not better than medicines (and the medicines we are talking about here would be something like propranolol, which is reserved for proper anxiety)

and about cramming, I don't agree...I would say the complete opposite...spend a lot of time revising, but not full on, sleeping as much as possible, and not doing anything for at least a few days before the exam.

i meant its better to try and use other methods such as herbal or relaxing techniques before reaching for medication they only mask the problem and help the symptoms dont actually cure them. when im stressed out i always take slow even deep breathes or bring my dog for a walk. i enjoy horse riding and swimming aswell and i feel blissful doing both like nothing bothers me no worries.. i like to keep everything organic as possible you know my body is a temple. last thing i was to see is someone who is dependant on medication so they can function when there is other methods out there

well thats the method i used and many other students when we had 2 or 3 state exams everyday for 2 weeks. most of them were 2.5 hours long and some were 3. then the practicals was even longer. all that takes up so much concentration and time management. the entire school year was under pressure to perform from their parents, teachers but most importantly themselves.

all im trying to say is if you are studying for a history or german exam as a example on the friday and its wednesday and you have biology, maths on thursday. you dont have time to not do anything days before. and you have been doing other exams all week and practicals. you need to treat your brain like a inbox/outbox revise/cram for whats happening tomorrow. dont get bogged down in something thats not happening yet concentrate on what you can. short sweet little cramming sessions on the important areas being questioned hours before the exam are worth more then something that was done weeks/months ago. look thats just my opinion on the matter i know what works for me there wasnt enough time in the day to properly revise unless we stopped sleeping, most people had a terrible time doing so anyway. if you have done your work previously in the subject you should know whats coming up and go over key topics it shouldnt be a problem.

I was able to have a oral exam for 15-20 minutes on the anatomy and physiology of a horse. a vet examined me. and i got every muscle and bone correct and i was also able to list common injuries and treatment for them. and describing similar bones in the human body. and that was down to knowing the material doing my work but also cramming the day before and that morning before the exam.

this is just the muscles
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/326/3/2/Horse_Anatomy_the_Muscles_by_Wiggle_Chicken.jpg
Reply 6
i meant its better to try and use other methods such as herbal or relaxing techniques before reaching for medication they only mask the problem and help the symptoms dont actually cure them. when im stressed out i always take slow even deep breathes or bring my dog for a walk. i enjoy horse riding and swimming aswell and i feel blissful doing both like nothing bothers me no worries.. i like to keep everything organic as possible you know my body is a temple. last thing i was to see is someone who is dependant on medication so they can function when there is other methods out there

well thats the method i used and many other students when we had 2 or 3 state exams everyday for 2 weeks. most of them were 2.5 hours long and some were 3. then the practicals was even longer. all that takes up so much concentration and time management. the entire school year was under pressure to perform from their parents, teachers but most importantly themselves.

all im trying to say is if you are studying for a history or german exam as a example on the friday and its wednesday and you have biology, maths on thursday. you dont have time to not do anything days before. and you have been doing other exams all week and practicals. you need to treat your brain like a inbox/outbox revise/cram for whats happening tomorrow. dont get bogged down in something thats not happening yet concentrate on what you can. short sweet little cramming sessions on the important areas being questioned hours before the exam are worth more then something that was done weeks/months ago. look thats just my opinion on the matter i know what works for me there wasnt enough time in the day to properly revise unless we stopped sleeping, most people had a terrible time doing so anyway. if you have done your work previously in the subject you should know whats coming up and go over key topics it shouldnt be a problem.

I was able to have a oral exam for 15-20 minutes on the anatomy and physiology of a horse. a vet examined me. and i got every muscle and bone correct and i was also able to list common injuries and treatment for them. and describing similar bones in the human body. and that was down to knowing the material doing my work but also cramming the day before and that morning before the exam.

this is just the muscles
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/326/3/2/Horse_Anatomy_the_Muscles_by_Wiggle_Chicken.jpg

I agree with your first paragraph. Although I don't view rescue remedy as a herbal thing, it's literally just a placebo.

About the exam stuff...you are right in some sense, it is worth doing revision so close to an exam. But cramming is just to pass exams...to truly learn something properly doesn't happen overnight. That's where sleep comes in to play.
I tried something like that. It was a spray but it was also a different brand.

Basically, I was really stressed before an exam and a friend offered it to me.

I'm not sure whether it was just psychological but it helped so much. I felt incredibly relaxed.

Still, I've never tried it again. Sometimes nerves can be a good thing.
Original post by moya
I agree with your first paragraph. Although I don't view rescue remedy as a herbal thing, it's literally just a placebo.

About the exam stuff...you are right in some sense, it is worth doing revision so close to an exam. But cramming is just to pass exams...to truly learn something properly doesn't happen overnight. That's where sleep comes in to play.

well it is herbal to me so are bach flower remedies. then again ive never even taken a placebo. id rather try every else within reason before going to a doctor for pills. my mam takes enough so i dont want to be like her health wise.

in some sense im right in every sense !
well it depends on your capability to learn something. the state exams i sat you had to pass them or you couldnt go to 3rd level so you did your best to pass them. and dont act like you are superior when push comes to shove everyone crams its how you pass exams in secondary school/uni. yes it comes down to your work ethic and doing groundwork in the months beforehand but cramming lets you refresh everything in your brain. dont try to deny that either! are you one of those people who think if you sleep with a book under your pillow you will absorb it ?

What a ridiculous thing to say. What do you think 'natural' products are made of?!?!

A drug is something usually derived from a 'natural' source, and then altered in order to make it a) more effective, b) reduce possible side effects, c) use the useful part of the product whilst getting rid of all the other stuff in there and d) regulated in terms of quality and quantity (flowers all grow differently, at different rates and with different quantities of different chemical compounds).
Original post by Mushi_master
What a ridiculous thing to say. What do you think 'natural' products are made of?!?!

A drug is something usually derived from a 'natural' source, and then altered in order to make it a) more effective, b) reduce possible side effects, c) use the useful part of the product whilst getting rid of all the other stuff in there and d) regulated in terms of quality and quantity (flowers all grow differently, at different rates and with different quantities of different chemical compounds).

it wasnt ridiculous i was merely stating my opinion that i think herbal treatments should be tried first because they are more natural for your body to break down then pharmaceuticals. and even before herbal treatments should be used there is other relaxing techniques that are proven to work. doctors give you pills but they dont sort out the problem just mask it.

rescue remedy is made from herbs, last time i checked they were natural .
5x (HPUS) dilution
Star of Bethlehem Orithogalum umbellatum
Rock Rose Helianthemum
Cherry Plum Prunus cerasifera
Impatiens Impatiens gladulifera
Clematis - Clematis vitalba

27% Grape Based Brandy as a preservative

compare the list above to some meds such as xanxax or prozac and rescue remedy sounds better and kinder on your body. yes some people get side effects such as a headache or a rash but it doesnt happen as often as you see patients using prozac suffering from side effects.

these are the common side effect caused by prozac.
anxiety
headache
nausea
diarrhea
drowsiness
insomnia
decreased appetite
increased sweating
decreased sexual drive
ejaculatory and orgasmic delay or impairment
agitation or irritability
restlessness
impulsiveness
hyperactivity
tremors
rash
Allergic reaction - difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips or tongue or difficulty swallowing.
Seizures
Problems with balance or coordination
Suicidal thoughts

not to mention how long prozac takes to work and people can be become dependant on it and cant function without it.
so you tell me does man made pharmaceutical drugs in a laboratory really sound like the healthier option overall ?
Reply 11
Rescue Remedy is not a placebo - it's packed with very strong booze.
Reply 12
Original post by Clip

Really?
Reply 13
Original post by Miracle Day
Really?

Smell it, taste it, look at the ingredients.

Why else would they make a special "non alcoholic" version for children?
Whether it actually has a physical effect or not, if you feel that it's something that could calm you down, give it a try - often just the feeling that you've got something to help can be good. After all, I know plenty of people that take lucky charms/necklaces etc. into exams - they definitely don't have an effect, but they still make them feel better :smile:
it wasnt ridiculous i was merely stating my opinion that i think herbal treatments should be tried first because they are more natural for your body to break down then pharmaceuticals. and even before herbal treatments should be used there is other relaxing techniques that are proven to work. doctors give you pills but they dont sort out the problem just mask it.

rescue remedy is made from herbs, last time i checked they were natural .
5x (HPUS) dilution
Star of Bethlehem Orithogalum umbellatum
Rock Rose Helianthemum
Cherry Plum Prunus cerasifera
Impatiens Impatiens gladulifera
Clematis - Clematis vitalba

27% Grape Based Brandy as a preservative

compare the list above to some meds such as xanxax or prozac and rescue remedy sounds better and kinder on your body. yes some people get side effects such as a headache or a rash but it doesnt happen as often as you see patients using prozac suffering from side effects.

these are the common side effect caused by prozac.
anxiety
headache
nausea
diarrhea
drowsiness
insomnia
decreased appetite
increased sweating
decreased sexual drive
ejaculatory and orgasmic delay or impairment
agitation or irritability
restlessness
impulsiveness
hyperactivity
tremors
rash
Allergic reaction - difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips or tongue or difficulty swallowing.
Seizures
Problems with balance or coordination
Suicidal thoughts

not to mention how long prozac takes to work and people can be become dependant on it and cant function without it.
so you tell me does man made pharmaceutical drugs in a laboratory really sound like the healthier option overall ?

Youl haven't disproven what I said in the least, I know it has a mixture of plants in it - what I'm trying to say is that natural products are also filled with chemical compounds, a huge mixture of them infact with such a large list of plants.

Each plant contains many different chemical structures, each of varying amounts depending on the age/rate of growth/habitat etc. of each plant - therefore the exact amount of chemicals from each one remains unknown; this leaves you with a solution of a whole concoction of chemicals (some of which may have pharmaceutical properties, therefore = a drug).

Plus, something 'natural' doesn't make it better for you, just think of the many poisons out there. I also refer you back to my original point, stating that the drugs produced as 'medicines' are made so as to react in the best possible way with your body, whereas these plant compounds are unchanged in this sense, making them less effective - and possibly, more harmful.

With regards to side-effects, the side effects of each chemical from these plants may be as big or infact bigger than compared to lets say, prozac. However, due to european legislation, Bach's flower remedy et al. are not classified as drugs, rather as 'supplements', therefore the side-effects are not listed or recorded. Atleast in prozac or any other standard pharmaceutical we know exactly what the side-effects are.

So which do you really think is safer? A single chemical compound which has been rigorously tested and proven safe, or a concoction of chemicals with extremely little data about. For the record, I don't think rescue remedy is dangerous per se, I just loathe to find someone automatically poo-poo medication and make false claims that natural products are safer; and unfortunately I know rather alot about this subject.
Reply 16
Original post by Clip

Anything that works no better than a placebo is essentially a placebo. Wikipedia "All randomized double-blind studies, whether finding for or against the remedies, have suffered from small cohort sizes but the studies using the best methodology were the ones that found no effect over placebo.[13][14]"

Original post by Clip

Why else would they make a special "non alcoholic" version for children?

So they can make more money?
I tried it, it did nothing, but then I was expecting it to do nothing so that's no surprise.

Give me propanolol or diazepam any day.
Reply 18
Good job the exam wasn't on statistics and evidence based veternarying...
Reply 19
Original post by Sabertooth
I tried it, it did nothing, but then I was expecting it to do nothing so that's no surprise.

Give me propanolol or diazepam any day.

Well, I think you possibly have proper anxiety problems, I don't want people to start taking propranolol ect for normal nerves :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest