The Student Room Group

Master Degree or Job?

Hello all! This is my first post in this forum. I am recent graduate from a uk university in computer science. As I am not sure what to study for my master degree, I went for a Web-Developer graduate job, and got accepted. As I will probably go for a master in 1-2 years, I was wondering if my undergraduate degree will be consider useless. And my master degree will possibly have nothing to do with the job I am currenlty accepted for. For example if I choose to do a master degree in computer graphics. Will that be a problem? (I have modules related to computer graphics in my degree, so my question is that will they be still valuable after 1-2 years as computer technology changes everyday)
help?
thanks!
Your undergraduate degree wont be considered useless- I have just completed an English degree (Bachelor of Arts) and got accepted into Human Resource Management at Oxford Brookes Business in School (Master of Sciences).

As long as you can show enthusiasm and commitment to your masters subject you will be fine :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Vanilla*Pod
Your undergraduate degree wont be considered useless- I have just completed an English degree (Bachelor of Arts) and got accepted into Human Resource Management at Oxford Brookes Business in School (Master of Sciences).

As long as you can show enthusiasm and commitment to your masters subject you will be fine :smile:

Yeah, but the point that I am trying to show, is that what happens if you take a break after ur studies and then try to do something irrelevant with what you were doing in that break? You got accepted into Human Resource Management, but I guess that was right after you graduated right?
Oh, apologies I see what you mean now.

Why would you not do your masters related to the job you are going into and develop further in that field?

Or if it is the masters area you are interested in more, is it too late to find a graduate position in that area?

I wouldn't say that they would see your degree as irrelevant but they would require some explanation as to why you took a break and worked in a different field.
Reply 4
Original post by Vanilla*Pod
Oh, apologies I see what you mean now.

Why would you not do your masters related to the job you are going into and develop further in that field?

Or if it is the masters area you are interested in more, is it too late to find a graduate position in that area?

I wouldn't say that they would see your degree as irrelevant but they would require some explanation as to why you took a break and worked in a different field.

>>Why would you not do your masters related to the job you are going into and develop further in that field?
>>Or if it is the masters area you are interested in more, is it too late to find a graduate position in that area?

Cause I am not intended to spend a lot of years on that field. I consider this job as a mean to gather some money for my gap year. I am not saying I hate it and I am only doing it for money, it's just there are sectors in Computer Science that I find more interesting, but jobs right now are really limited. Plus I don't feel going for a master's degree now. I guess I need a break.
In our experience getting IT graduates jobs over 15 years you are better off starting your career. Easier said than done granted, but your CV will look better for it; you avoid the expense of a Masters and lost earnings from a paid job. What are your reasons for considering a Masters?
Reply 6
Original post by Graduate Recruitment Bureau
In our experience getting IT graduates jobs over 15 years you are better off starting your career. Easier said than done granted, but your CV will look better for it; you avoid the expense of a Masters and lost earnings from a paid job. What are your reasons for considering a Masters?

I'm in a similar position.

However I am studying Computer Science BSc and have received a very nice job offer of £30k/year, at a location I'm pleased with. I can defer this offer and do my MEng, or just start my MEng.
My reasons for doing the MEng is that it is considerably cheaper than the future students will have to pay - therefore maybe increasing the value of the MEng as students will be slightly hesitant in paying another £9k, as opposed to our £3k.
My MEng will be directly related to my field, a Computer Science MEng, from a Computer Science BSc, for a Computer Science role.

What would you suggest? Is an MEng seen as a great additional qualification? Should I invest the time and money for an extra year to gain this qualification as I will still retain my offer?

Thanks for your input.

Edit; Apologies for bump, assumed this would be better than creating a new topic...
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending