The Student Room Group

Irish passport = fee free Scottish education...

Scroll to see replies

Most of the younger generation wont be elligible for an Irish passport since most of the irish immigration was well back in the 20th century and before. The number of irish passport holders amongst young people is diminishing.
Gonna ask careers about this in college tomorrow, it is quite confusing now. I live in England (and have done my whole life) and have a British passport, but am also eligible for an Irish one through the fact my dad and all 4 grandparents were born in the Republic of Ireland. Would I pay £9,000 fees or nothing, and would I also be eligible for a maintanance loan/grant or not? I know it say Northern Irish students are, but what about students in England/Wales with an Irish passport.
Do I need to apply for citizenship first before getting a passport? The website is really confusing.

I suspect a lot of people might just become a lot more Irish. Yay for County Galway!
Original post by startitup
I'm a unionist but haven't applied to Scottish universities and will hopefully be studying in England next year. I would pay the fees in traditional unionist style and not apply for an Irish passport!

fair enough, at least you're being consistent :beard:
Reply 84
Original post by medbh4805
fair enough, at least you're being consistent :beard:

I am indeed. What are your thoughts on the issue?
Reply 85
Scotland gets a proportionate amount for the population but it is how it is spent that is different. Alot more money is spent in England on construction and community investment(building community centres, parks etc) whereas Scotland spend that money on the education of it's people. the education of english students is the responsibility of Westminster. the education of NI students is the responsibility of the NI government and so forth.therefore why SHOULD Scotland spend their portion of funds on students which are not their responsibility.It is unfair on English students and i feel really bad for people who have to pay tuition fees, but ultimately that is not a problem that the Scots can or have to fix, either the govt pays for their student or they leave the EU so that Scotland has the freedom to charge European students too.
Reply 86
Original post by marcusfox
To qualify for Irish passport, you need to be:

* born in Ireland before 2005, or born in Ireland after 2005 if your parents have had legal residency for (I think five) years - this was changed because of the Chen case;

* parent or grandparent born in Ireland, or great grandparents born in Ireland if your parent/grandparent had undergone foreign birth registration before you were born;

* married to an Irish citizen and undergone citizenship application.

There may be other ways, but these are the most common.

Where I use Ireland above, I mean the island of Ireland, which includes Northern Ireland.

Bingo.
I am indeed. What are your thoughts on the issue?

I feel quite strongly about Irish Nationalism :pierre: But not strongly enough that I think I could justifying paying an extra £27000(/£36000, if your degree is four years) that I wouldn't need to otherwise :beard:
Reply 88
Original post by Cyanohydrin

Why anyway? If you want free fees in England then stop electing the tories!

remind me which party exactly would make university education in England free?

Preferably one that could potentially get into power and not a waste of a vote.
Reply 89
I feel quite strongly about Irish Nationalism :pierre: But not strongly enough that I think I could justifying paying an extra £27000(/£36000, if your degree is four years) that I wouldn't need to otherwise :beard:

Do you think it's a bit of a loophole that needs reformed? I mean for example pretend there are two people, Person A and Person B. Person A and Person B are both born in Belfast (part of the United Kingdom) and live in the same area all the way up to age 18. Person A identifies themselves as being British and Person B identifies themselves as being Irish so they each get the appropriate passports. Despite both never having lived in the Republic of Ireland, Person B is now eligible to free university education and Person A living a few miles away has to pay £9,000. To me, this is ludacris. Northern Ireland obviously has a very different nationality issue than other countries and I think because of this, the Scottish government should really reform this as soon as possible.
start voting for parties that want free fees

What, like the Liberal Democrats? :rolleyes:

You also seem to ignore the fact that Labour introduced tuition fees in the first place, and would have raised them had they won the 2010 election as it was they who commissioned the Browne review in the first place.

None of the mainstream parties in England are committed to abolishing tuition fees, so we don't have a choice.
Reply 91
I quite admire the Unionists that would stick to paying the fees. Unfortunately, I reckon I'd drop my principles in a second to save £9,000.:redface:

Original post by Patriot Rich
I suspect a lot of people might just become a lot more Irish. Yay for County Galway!

Galway is the best county! :dance:
Original post by barnetbuzzzz
What, like the Liberal Democrats? :rolleyes:

You also seem to ignore the fact that Labour introduced tuition fees in the first place, and would have raised them had they won the 2010 election as it was they who commissioned the Browne review in the first place.

None of the mainstream parties in England are committed to abolishing tuition fees, so we don't have a choice.

Not really our fault then is it? Start one up...
Reply 93

Why anyway? If you want free fees in England then stop electing the tories!

There Is no such thing as free university. Someone has to pay for it.

Regarding the topic, it's a messy situation they're in now and they need to either find a way so that only Scottish people can avail of the lack of fees (Paid for through extra tax in Scotland or foregoing other services) or charge people for their education. It's not as if anyone is being strangled with debt: the terms of the student loan company are very generous.

I myself am from Ireland yet plan on studying in England next year, despite the free university available to me in Ireland and Scotland.
Do you think it's a bit of a loophole that needs reformed? I mean for example pretend there are two people, Person A and Person B. Person A and Person B are both born in Belfast (part of the United Kingdom) and live in the same area all the way up to age 18. Person A identifies themselves as being British and Person B identifies themselves as being Irish so they each get the appropriate passports. Despite both never having lived in the Republic of Ireland, Person B is now eligible to free university education and Person A living a few miles away has to pay £9,000. To me, this is ludacris. Northern Ireland obviously has a very different nationality issue than other countries and I think because of this, the Scottish government should really reform this as soon as possible.

Well it's not an issue for the Scottish government, it's an issue of EU law - they would charge the full fees if they could. Short of tearing up the Good Friday Agreement, which protects the right of nationalists to claim Irish citizenship, there's nothing they can really do. Restarting the Troubles because some unionists have qualms about getting an Irish passport probably doesn't appeal to most people though :colonhash:

Original post by Dusty12

Galway is the best county! :dance:

:lies:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 95
Well it's not an issue for the Scottish government, it's an issue of EU law - they would charge the full fees if they could. Short of tearing up the Good Friday Agreement, which protects the right of nationalists to claim Irish citizenship, there's nothing they can really do. Restarting the Troubles because some unionists have qualms about getting an Irish passport probably doesn't appeal to most people though :colonhash:

Definitely wouldn't go down well! Oh well, I think it's an issue that can be talked about until the cows come home and there's probably no solution. I can fully empathise though with people in Northern Ireland identifying themselves as British and having to pay £9,000 a year to study in Scotland when their next door neighbours who identify themselves as Irish are paying nothing.
Reply 96
Does anyone know if you have to actually be living in Northern Ireland to get this. My kids have dual nationality but live in England. I can easily get them an irish passport.

Original post by marcusfox
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17900220

A Scottish government spokesman has confirmed that sixth form pupils in the UK who hold Irish passports qualify for free university tuition in Scotland.

Fees are rising to a maximum of £9000 across the UK but in Scotland, pupils who have lived there for at least three years do not have to pay fees.
Reply 97
Well it's not an issue for the Scottish government, it's an issue of EU law - they would charge the full fees if they could. Short of tearing up the Good Friday Agreement, which protects the right of nationalists to claim Irish citizenship, there's nothing they can really do. Restarting the Troubles because some unionists have qualms about getting an Irish passport probably doesn't appeal to most people though

The fact that anyone in Northern Ireland can have an Irish or British (well, as long as their situation complies with the relevant nationality statutes of the UK and Ireland) passport has nothing to do with the Good Friday Agreement.

It was enshrined in the constitution that created the Irish Free State almost 100 years ago.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 98
If only this had been in effect last year. :frown:
Reply 99
Does anyone know if this applies if my son has dual nationality i.e. one parent with an irish passport as well as a British passport and currently living in the UK? Do you actually have to be resident in N.I.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest