The Student Room Group

If you are against the Queen, you are against the UK

The Queen is a symbol of inspiration, a figure above the politics, who can unite the nation. The Queen is in a way the national mother. She is also a safeguard against corrupt Prime Ministers. In my view, actively opposing The Queen is arguably a form of treason, and should be treated as such. Long live The Queen!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dobermory
The Queen is a symbol of inspiration, a figure above the politics, who can unite the nation. The Queen is in a way the national mother. She is also a safeguard against corrupt Prime Ministers. In my view, actively opposing The Queen is arguably a form of treason, and should be treated as such. Long live The Queen!

You should write for the Daily Mail.
Reply 2
You won't be a fan on the Sex Pistols then.
Reply 3
I've got a Mother thank you very much.

Where do people get this misplaced 'pride' from? What about the Queen makes you 'proud'?

I'm personally proud of my achievements. I look on others' achievements with reverence. I treat people who have gained it, with respect.

The Queen has achieved neither my pride, reverence or respect.
Reply 4
I'm sure fans of dictators say the same thing
Reply 5
I'm all for the Queen but as we live in a democratic society we have to respect that someone people have opposing, republican views. Convicting people for expressing their right to protest against our political system as treason is the act of a despot and authoritarian regime.
Reply 6
Original post by Swanbow
I'm all for the Queen but as we live in a democratic society we have to respect that someone people have opposing, republican views. Convicting people for expressing their right to protest against our political system as treason is the act of a despot and authoritarian regime.

Republican views are treasonous views, full stop.
'I am a citizen, I am not a subject' :rolleyes:
Reply 8
queeny is a tourist attraction; nothing more, nothing less
Well yes, if you are against the Queen, you are against the United Kingdom.
Reply 10
Out of interest, when does the Queen stop corrupt Prime Ministers? She's bound by law to accept what the people choose and legitimise all legislation that parliament sends for royal accession? x)
Reply 11

Glad you got that out of your system. Incoherent rants for the win

What a ridiculous idea. The Queen does not inspire me, in fact the monarchy makes me sad because it shows how we do not truly believe in the principle of democracy in this country. There are many other things we could unite over. She is no more my mother than a random woman on the street. I am very happy with my own mother and grandmothers. Of course there's no possibility there couldn't be a corrupt Queen. Do you really think she could stop a corrupt government (bearing in mind she has no power?) Your whole argument is puerile.
Not sure if serious or just trollin'
Reply 14
I'm in favour of retaining the Monarchy and I still think you're completely ridiculous - it's precisely because we can openly question the Monarchy without fear of reprisal that it has lasted this long...

:yawn:
How are you going to stop the "treason", set up concentration camps?
Reply 16
The Queen of the benefit scroungers!
Reply 17
Original post by 2468_James_Maaay
:yawn:
How are you going to stop the "treason", set up concentration camps?

Deportation for less serious cases.
Reply 18
Original post by sahajkaur
'I am a citizen, I am not a subject' :rolleyes:

It's an arbitrary distinction. There is no difference.
Reply 19
It's an arbitrary distinction. There is no difference.

A subject is one who lives under the Monarch's rule, and puts their life toward the Monarch's happiness
A citizen is a free man with human rights

Not completely the same...

Quick Reply

Latest