The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ANIGAV
No, what about Nazi Germany?

:lolwut:
Original post by ANIGAV
..and where did I say Israel was a terrorist organisation? You will find that each individual defines terrorism differently, there is no One vs Everyone, only in your fantasies.

"Hamas is a terrorist group but so is Israel" (here)

"Terrorist group is a group that routinely targets civilians and civilian infrastructure e.g. Israel." (Here)

Definitions of things like this cannot just be subjective judgements. They have to conform to accepted norms as recognised by international law and world governments.
Defining terrorism as to exclude states is purely arbitrary.
Reply 5023
Long Live PALESTINE!!

Long Live GAZA!!

Israel is a terror state supported by the USA. I saw a documentary called "Ross Kemp in Israel" or something and this Israeli lady was asked something like "do you think there are good people in Palestine" and she replied by saying "yes er yes but (pause) you say they dont have no food and all this (pause) but they dont GIVE A **** ABOUT THERE LIFE" and sadly this is the view of the majority of the population which is just stupid when you see little infants dying and their mothers crying. Israel is a terrorist state which is selfish and blind who hide under the banner of home security much like the U.S. to get away with these acts of evil.
Reply 5024
I did not mean it's a GROUP, it was supposed to mean like Hamas, Israel has also commited terrorist acts, but there's a difference between the acts of the two, Israel has killed MUCH MORE civilians than Hamas did. As I stated before, a state can engage in terrorism if in the course of the war it targets civilians, Israel did so.

There's many definitions of 'terrorism', what is yours? Terrorism has never been defined in international law. http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Law/PublicInternationalLaw/InternationalCriminalandHumanita/?view=usa&ci=9780199295975
Original post by anarchism101
Defining terrorism as to exclude states is purely arbitrary.

Perhaps, but it's not my definition.
Original post by ANIGAV
Displaying an image is hardly convincing, explain why not.

Do you not know what the picture is of?

They'll just get them via the Egyptian border.

I don't think Hamas actually want an offer. They might gain in popularity originally, but in a stable situation they'd lose it quickly. And breaking a good offer wouldn't do their image a lot of good. And Israel could always make the offer to the PLO instead.

Israel cannot guarantee that Hamas get no weapons, they can only make it harder. Hamas want to be treated as the legitimate leadership because that grants them legitimacy. And Israel has made offers to the PA.

Original post by Suetonius
I didn't say "any difference", I said "any material significance" (and "no difference" legally). I'm not going to speak for the Palestinians, because I'm not one. I don't know if they'd rather live under a colonial-settler system or under a blockade and humanitarian crisis. And, you know what, I wouldn't have the hubris to ask such a thing. Unlike you who's making the conceited assumption that that the current state of affairs is a concession.

As a point of interest, the blockade of Gaza was ruled legal by the UN.

So you won't say whether the people in Gaza could (and should) have benefited from Israel's withdrawal. I have no such qualms. I think they could have and would have had they acted differently.

Simple question - what can Israel do that is an actual concession?
Original post by ANIGAV
I did not mean it's a GROUP, it was supposed to mean like Hamas, Israel has also commited terrorist acts, but there's a difference between the acts of the two, Israel has killed MUCH MORE civilians than Hamas did. As I stated before, a state can engage in terrorism if in the course of the war it targets civilians, Israel did so.

There's many definitions of 'terrorism', what is yours? Terrorism has never been defined in international law. http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Law/PublicInternationalLaw/InternationalCriminalandHumanita/?view=usa&ci=9780199295975

The amount of dead civilians means nothing. If A attacks B, killing one, and B resorts to attacking A and ends up killing ten, this says nothing about who is right and who is wrong.

'Terrorism' is not exactly defined, no, but there are widely accepted precedents. States have lists of designated terrorist organisations and there are legal norms surrounding the support of terrorist organistions. Throughout history, terrorism has been waged against existing constitutional orders as a means to bring down the state system, which is why most definitions of terrorism exclude the possibility that states can be terrorist organisations.
Original post by UniOfLife
Israel cannot guarantee that Hamas get no weapons, they can only make it harder.

Exactly. And since Hamas' funding and weapons are largely coming from the Saudis and other groups within the Arab world, cutting off their coastline was never going to achieve much except irritate Palestinians.

'Containing' Hamas is never going to be a solution.

Hamas want to be treated as the legitimate leadership because that grants them legitimacy.

Legitimate or not, what's the best practical option is the question we need to answer.

And Israel has made offers to the PA.

It's offered to make it a vassal state, a protectorate. That's not quite the same thing.
Reply 5029
Are you serious? If Israel targets civilians instead of Hamas IT IS. This is not a kill 1 - kill 10 - this is kill 7 civilians - kill 1000-1200 civilians, there's a DIFFERENCE.
There is no difference between Hamas and Likud, the political parties who govern their states, borth parties represent their country.
(edited 11 years ago)
Simple question - what can Israel do that is an actual concession?

It would exhaust all diplomatic avenues before resorting to violence and aggression. It would take the lead, and make its own proposals, in an attempt to bring its occupation to an end. It would not act as an obstacle to Palestinian reconciliation. It would take seriously alternative peace plans that don't fall within the framework of the Quartet (e.g. the Arab Peace Plan - which, upon implementation, would ensure mutual peace between Israel and all signatory Arab states - or the Geneva Accord). It would stop building settlements and fences within occupied territory, deemed illegal under international law. It wouldn't violate the territory of Gaza unless it was completely necessary to do so (now that the Iron Dome and other rocket shields exist, there is no excuse). Hell, it would propose an international conference on Middle East peace, with a stated purpose to bring an end to the conflict. These are material concessions that would overshadow any of the verbal PR shows that have defined the Israeli position hitherto.
Reply 5031
Let's just ask, who attacked who? By the way, you have not defined 'terrorism'.

http://youtu.be/_kPe5zcTjH4
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ANIGAV
Let's just ask, who attacked who? By the way, you have not defined 'terrorism'.

http://youtu.be/_kPe5zcTjH4

I don't care who attacked who. That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. You cited casualty figures as proof that Israel were wrong. My point is that casualty figures don't tell who is wrong at all, and my A/B example intended to prove this separately from the issue of Israel v Hamas.

Edit: In future, please remember that I do not care what Normal Finkelstein has to say about this.
Original post by ANIGAV
Are you serious? If Israel targets civilians instead of Hamas IT IS. This is not a kill 1 - kill 10 - this is kill 7 civilians - kill 1000-1200 civilians, there's a DIFFERENCE.

There is no difference between Hamas and Likud, the political parties who govern their states, borth parties represent their country.

Will you stop citing this figure. Hamas themselves admitted that of the 1,400 people killed in Cast Lead, just under 700 were Hamas operatives. Given the extremely high population density, the difficulty of such assymetric warfare, and the problems that arise from trying to restrain military force in a high-intensity anti-insurgency, and when you compare the civilian:combatant ratio to the exponentially higher ones achieved by the British and Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan, less civilians died than anyone should have expected.
Reply 5034
This type of reporting is completely disreputable in that it states "Hamas admitted last week that between 600 and 700 of its militants were killed during Operation Cast Lead" .. but no such thing is said. The reality is that what Fathi Hamad said is actually supported by Goldstone;

- Israel attacked the police command and killed 250 (The best way to keep a country stable is to kill its police force?)
- Around 300 members of the military wing were killed.
- Around 150 security personnel were killed (undefined what security is).

Goldstone quotes many sources for estimates but for example he quoted data that;

- 136 to 248 police had been killed Items 356 and 354 Page 90.
- 237 combatants were killed Item 356 Page 90

And do you know what, this startling revelation in Haaretz doesn't change the fact that potentially...

- 342 INNOCENT children.
- 111 INNOCENT women.

A total of 926 INNOCENT civilians, were all KILLED.
Reply 5035
You still haven't defined 'terrorism', are you intentionally ignoring it?
Exactly. And since Hamas' funding and weapons are largely coming from the Saudis and other groups within the Arab world, cutting off their coastline was never going to achieve much except irritate Palestinians.

'Containing' Hamas is never going to be a solution.

Legitimate or not, what's the best practical option is the question we need to answer.

It's offered to make it a vassal state, a protectorate. That's not quite the same thing.

Containing Hamas is not meant as a solution, only as the best Israel can achieve right now.

It would exhaust all diplomatic avenues before resorting to violence and aggression. It would take the lead, and make its own proposals, in an attempt to bring its occupation to an end. It would not act as an obstacle to Palestinian reconciliation. It would take seriously alternative peace plans that don't fall within the framework of the Quartet (e.g. the Arab Peace Plan - which, upon implementation, would ensure mutual peace between Israel and all signatory Arab states - or the Geneva Accord). It would stop building settlements and fences within occupied territory, deemed illegal under international law. It wouldn't violate the territory of Gaza unless it was completely necessary to do so (now that the Iron Dome and other rocket shields exist, there is no excuse). Hell, it would propose an international conference on Middle East peace, with a stated purpose to bring an end to the conflict. These are material concessions that would overshadow any of the verbal PR shows that have defined the Israeli position hitherto.

So stopping building settlements is a concession but removing existing ones you said was not. That's slightly odd.

Personally, I think Israel has made peace offers in the past and made concessions. Consider that in the period prior to 1994 the entirety of the West Bank and Gaza was under direct Israeli military control. Since then Israel has granted self-rule to Palestinians over a significant portion. The process was on going when Palestinians launched their intifada which stalled further progress and reversed some of what had been achieved. And then Israel withdrew entirely from Gaza. It has not established a new settlement since the late 90s and has halted expansion of existing ones for periods (though I agree here that they should stop expansion completely. I find it unjustified and stupid).

During this period of time when Israel has made these concessions (and I do consider them concessions even if you don't) I do not see any concessions from Palestinians. Incitement continues. Terrorism continues. They have not dropped the claim to the so-called "Right" of return that applies to only them and no other group in the history of the world. They have not renounced violence nor apparently have they taken final peace deals seriously. Many, including Hamas, make it clear that their end game is the destruction of Israel.

If you ask for Israel to make the first move I say that it has done so. If you ask Israel to take the risks of granting sovereignty to the Palestinians with nothing in return I say that this is not a risk Israel ought to take.
So stopping building settlements is a concession but removing existing ones you said was not. That's slightly odd.

Personally, I think Israel has made peace offers in the past and made concessions. Consider that in the period prior to 1994 the entirety of the West Bank and Gaza was under direct Israeli military control. Since then Israel has granted self-rule to Palestinians over a significant portion. The process was on going when Palestinians launched their intifada which stalled further progress and reversed some of what had been achieved. And then Israel withdrew entirely from Gaza. It has not established a new settlement since the late 90s and has halted expansion of existing ones for periods (though I agree here that they should stop expansion completely. I find it unjustified and stupid).

During this period of time when Israel has made these concessions (and I do consider them concessions even if you don't) I do not see any concessions from Palestinians. Incitement continues. Terrorism continues. They have not dropped the claim to the so-called "Right" of return that applies to only them and no other group in the history of the world. They have not renounced violence nor apparently have they taken final peace deals seriously. Many, including Hamas, make it clear that their end game is the destruction of Israel.

If you ask for Israel to make the first move I say that it has done so. If you ask Israel to take the risks of granting sovereignty to the Palestinians with nothing in return I say that this is not a risk Israel ought to take.

A settlement freeze in the West Bank is obligatory under the Road Map. I didn't say that "stopping building settlements is a concession", so much as totally conforming to past treaties and, most importantly, international law is the only thing that can amount to full concession. Concession would necessitate far more than just a settlement freeze. It would require total and utter commitment to ending the conflict, and neither party is fulfilling its requirements. You seemingly can't view this conflict through any prism other than the U.S.-Israeli dogmatism that provably runs counter to international law. A settlement freeze isn't a concession. It's a condition. It's an essential requirement before serious peace talks can resume. It's a practical tactic that reveals intent. In fact, I find a universal settlement freeze, and subsequent entry to serious negotiations, to be more indicative of a peace effort than a convenient token disengagement from the Gaza Strip. If the disengagement had been extended to the West Bank (or even if it had just been complemented by a settlement freeze in the West Bank) then that would clearly have been a show of intent, but restricting it to Gaza merely demonstrates that Israel wants to focus on colonizing the West Bank while Gaza is strangled from without. You're just spouting rhetoric against Hamas without proposing any serious solution. You know what? It's easy to throw all the blame onto the other guy. It's a cop-out and certainly not original. If you really want to defend Israel then you ask of it only that it be responsible and acts according to the standard required of it under international law. Surrendering "direct Israeli military control" (which, remember, came after a mutual agreement between two parties that had previously mistrusted each other), and the other token actions that you allude to, are not concessions in the true sense of the term. A concession would be total and utter commitment to the principles of UNSC Resolution 242, which calls, because of the "inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by war and the need to work for a just and lasting peace in the Middle East in which every State in the area can live in security", for:

"(i) Withdrawal of Israel armed forces from territories occupied in the recent conflict;

(ii) Termination of all claims or states of belligerency and respect for and acknowledgment of the sovereignty, territorial integrity and political independence of every State in the area and their right to live in peace within secure and recognized boundaries free from threats or acts of force."

In other words, the only full concession would be an end to the occupation. The "withdrawal" from Gaza did not conform to principle (ii), and scarcely conformed to principle (i), considering that Gaza's air and water routes are still controlled by the Israeli military. And, sure, let's call for the Palestinians to act according to the same principle. But don't use their violation of the resolution as an excuse to permit Israel to do the same.

Israel certainly hasn't "made peace offers", and, you will see, that just because the Palestinians (or at least an element or two among the Palestinians) haven't ceased terrorism it does not absolve Israel from the requirement of entering into negotiations or pursuing all means necessary to end the conflict. You seem to forget that Israel is the occupying force. It has all the cards in its hands, and all the power needed to either act for better or for worse.

As for preconditions. The PA doesn't refrain from negotiations because Israel hasn't adhered to the first principle of Resolution 242, and in turn Israel should not refrain from negotiating with Hamas because they haven't adhered to the second principle. After negotiation, Hamas will be required to terminate "all...states of belligerency...and acknowledg[e]...the sovereignty, territorial integrity and political independence" of Israel. However, nowhere in international law is that deemed a precondition for negotiations.

On the right of return. (Which is rejected in the Geneva Accords; a proposal Israel have just dismissed, probably because it's not orchestrated by its benefactors in the Quartet). Again, the Palestinians should not be required to renounce this as a precondition for negotiation. Do you think Israel should be required to withdraw all of its settlements from the West Bank as a precondition for negotiation? Obviously not. If the Palestinians believe in a right of return, which is a major issue (and I disagree with your claim that it "applies to only them and no other group in the history of the world"; every displaced group has a right of return, even if that right isn't realized), then you acknowledge the grievance and try to resolve it on a mutual basis. You don't just reject it and say that they have no right. You apologize for the injustice like a grown up, and come to a mutual compromise. It's like when Israel says that it wants the Palestinians to recognize it as a Jewish state (for which there's far less support in international law than there is for the right of return). The Palestinians shouldn't reject it out of hand, but should acknowledge that Israel can define itself however it wants to as long as it doesn't violate basic Palestinian rights. Your position is nothing but a sure recipe for further antagonism, and that's the last thing the region needs. I ask you: do you support the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination within a viable and contiguous state?
(edited 11 years ago)
A settlement freeze in the West Bank is obligatory under the Road Map. I didn't say that "stopping building settlements is a concession", so much as totally conforming to past treaties and, most importantly, international law is the only thing that can amount to full concession. That would necessitate far more than just a settlement freeze. It would require total and utter commitment to ending the conflict, and neither party is fulfilling its requirements. You seemingly can't view this conflict through any prism other than the U.S.-Israeli dogmatism that provably runs counter to international law. A settlement freeze isn't a concession. It's simply an essential requirement before serious peace talks can resume. You're just spouting rhetoric against Hamas without proposing any serious solution. You know what? It's easy to throw all the blame onto the other guy. It's a cop-out and certainly not original. If you really want to defend Israel then you ask of it only that it be responsible and acts according to the standard required of it under international law. Surrendering "direct Israeli military control" (which, remember, came after a mutual agreement between two parties that had previously mistrusted each other), and the other token actions that you allude to, are not concessions in the true sense of the term. A concession would be total and utter commitment to the principles of UNSC Resolution 242, which calls, because of the "inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by war and the need to work for a just and lasting peace in the Middle East in which every State in the area can live in security", for:

(i) Withdrawal of Israel armed forces from territories occupied in the recent conflict;

(ii) Termination of all claims or states of belligerency and respect for and acknowledgment of the sovereignty, territorial integrity and political independence of every State in the area and their right to live in peace within secure and recognized boundaries free from threats or acts of force.

In other words, the only full concession would be an end to the occupation. The "withdrawal" from Gaza did not conform to principle (ii), and scarcely conformed to principle (i), considering that Gaza's air and water routes are still controlled by the Israeli military. And, sure, let's call for the Palestinians to act according to the same principle. But don't use their violation of the resolution as an excuse to permit Israel to do the same.

Israel certainly hasn't "made peace offers", and, you will see, that because the Palestinians (or at least an element or two among the Palestinians) hasn't ceased terrorism it does not absolve Israel from the requirement of entering into negotiations or pursuing every means to end the conflict. You seem to forget that Israel is the occupying force. It has all the cards in its hands, and all the power needed to either act for better or for worse.

As for preconditions. The PA doesn't refrain from negotiations because the first principle of Resolution 242 hasn't been adhered to by Israel, and neither should Israel refrain from negotiating with Hamas because they haven't adhered to the second principle. After negotiation, Hamas will be required to terminate "all...states of belligerency...and acknowledg[e]...the sovereignty, territorial integrity and political independence" of Israel. However, nowhere in international law is that deemed a precondition for negotiations.

On the right of return. (Which is rejected in the Geneva Accords; a proposal Israel have just dismissed, probably because it's not orchestrated by its benefactors in the Quartet). Again, the Palestinians should not be required to renounce this as a precondition for negotiation. Do you think Israel should be required to withdraw all of its settlements from the West Bank as a precondition for negotiation? Obviously not. If the Palestinians believe in a right of return, which is a major issue (and I disagree with your claim that it "applies to only them and no other group in the history of the world"; every displaced group has a right of return, even if that right isn't realized), then you acknowledge the grievance and try to resolve it on a mutual basis. You don't just reject it and say that they have no right. You apologize for the injustice like a grown up, and come to a mutual compromise. It's like when Israel says that it wants it to be a precondition that the Palestinians recognize it as a Jewish state (for which there's far less support in international law than there is for the right of return). The Palestinians shouldn't reject it out of hand, but should acknowledge that Israel can define itself however it wants as long as it doesn't violate basic Palestinian rights. Your position is nothing but a sure recipe for further antagonism, and that's the last thing the region needs. I ask you: do you support the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination within a viable and contiguous state?

I hope you'll be OK with me only responding to the bits in bold.

I was talking about Hamas because that was the topic of conversation (Why doesn't Israel talk to Hamas). The topic of conversation was not how to solve the conflict and so I wasn't talking about that.

If there is an agreement and one side fails to keep to it then what obligation has the other side got to do so? If the two elements of the agreement (or resolution) are independent then you may have a case. But demanding or expecting one side to keep to a deal and risk its safety while the other doesn't keep to its end of the bargain which would alleviate that risk, is wrong in my opinion. Its like you see two people attacking each other with knives. You demand or get them to agree to both lower their weapons together. Is it right to expect one to lower his regardless of whether the other does so too?

This ties into the second point. Israel certainly has the power to end the occupation overnight. But it is far from holding all the cards. Ending the occupation is a risk to Israel because it creates a sovereign Palestinian state right next door which is not under Israel's control. We have seen what rockets from Gaza and Lebanon can do. What might rockets do if Israel cannot prevent their being smuggled into the new Palestine? Or what if the new Palestine serves as a convenient launchpad for a conventional attack? It is wrong to suppose that just because Israel is the occupying force it is able to end the occupation risk free. It is very risky.

I didn't suggest that Hamas had to officially recognise Israel as a precondition of negotiations and certainly didn't relate it to International Law. I was relying on simple logic. You don't negotiate with someone who should not be trusted unless you can somehow guarantee that he cannot renege on his agreement. Hamas cannot be trusted and part of the reason is that they refuse to repudiate their antisemitic charter which, among other things, calls for the destruction of Israel. Its not a question of withholding recognition like Syria, its far more belligerent than that.

I fully support Palestinians statehood (contiguous if somehow both Israel and Palestine can be). However, I do not at all support it at the cost of Israel. Palestine must be alongside Israel not on top of it. At this moment in time (as indeed at every moment in the past as well) I do not believe that the Palestinians desire their state to be alongside Israel. They show every sign of wanting their state to be on top of Israel and that I do not support.

Sometimes it really is the other guy's fault.
why do you think Israel is allowed get away with genocide, using the same techniques the germans did to their people?
no trolls, no racism, have an intellectual debate

Latest

Trending

Trending