Queen's University Belfast

Social Work at Queens 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Head is fried lol
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 201
Okay guys so I know that most of you are either preparing for your interviews or waiting to hear about one! I had mine 2 weeks ago so i decided to start student finance! The deadline is 12TH APRIL for FIRST TIME APPLIERS! Make sure you apply before this date! If you are putting Queens as your choice it does not recognize the course code (L500) so submit your form and in September Queens correct it or put UU down and change it if you choose Queens, its completely up to you! :smile:
One of the questions is will you be applying for a bursary, this excludes social work so do not tick yes or they will ask for evidence! Regarding bursaries, the NHS bursary application for 2013/14 opens in April/May so keep a look out for that! Regarding the DHSS&PS bursary when your uni sends out enrollment forms there will be a form sent to you to apply for this so do not worry about that!
I have already submitted my form and evidence, im so so early! No 1 mum also said the schools are starting to apply next week so it might be helpful if you did it as soon as possible to avoid the rush! The online form does not take very long! You do need a reference number, I had mine from ema so you may have to ring to get that! But it is so straight forward! :smile:
Sorry for the big long message but it just means you will be prepared :smile:
Reply 202
Yeah as Kerry says, you have to ring to get your ref number, and you'll get the number at studentfinance.ni.co.uk. Then they will email you a secret question and password and you have to enter that before you can get started. I accidently ticked yes to the 'bursary excluding social work' and then it wouldn't let me change it and also I couldn't figure out how to apply for a means tested bursary. Emailed them, but no word back yet. Following this, be sure to send your passport, birth certificate and payslips to the address ASAP.

Definitely a good idea to get it done this week before the schools do theirs..... xxxxx

I was also told about this website called turn2us.co.uk. It provides info about extra grants and things that I had never even heard of. The website is very hard to navigate round, but it would be a good idea to ring, just in case there is something extra that we could get if we were to get in.... xxxxx
Reply 203
Original post by Blazerie
Head is fried lol

Hey Blazerie

Head still fried??!! :colone: You need to answer the three questions in the letter that they sent you.

I would do a mind map and brain storm any ideas that you have.

1) Think about why you want to be a social worker and the skills and qualities that you can bring to the profession.

2)What area do you wish to eventually work in? Why? What role does this social worker have? What tasks do they carry out? What qualities do they need? You will find all of this on the NISCC website.

3) Social work training - what does it involve? You will find stuff about this on NISCC and on Queens and UU websites.

Then answer the questions - 200 words for each question.

Break it down into simple steps and this will help, hopefully :biggrin:
Reply 204
Thank for the help, it's hard for coz I'm dyslexic, the ucas personal statement was bad enough lol
Reply 205
Thank for the help, it's hard for coz I'm dyslexic, the ucas personal statement was bad enough lol

Did you get it sorted okay?
Reply 206

No probs hun!! :biggrin: Are you getting on any better? Just take it one step at a time!! Anything else you need, give us a shout :colone: xx

I ended up ringing student finance, and they said DO NOT TICK YES FOR THE BURSARY EXCLUDING SOCIAL WORK, as you then can't have the option of means tested bursary.

Also, for any mommy's who receive child benefit, tax credits or income support, they need certificates of the last FULL financial years (April 11 - April 12) payment amount, as this counts as income and bank statements are not accepted!! So I would get onto HMRC and SS as soon as possible to get them to send you one out ASAP, if this applies to anyone. xx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 207
Hi everyone :smile:

Soooo glad I found this thread, everyone seems really nice and supportive :smile: I had both my interviews on the 21st in Dungannon and 22nd in Queens! Most nerve recking experience of my life to date. . . This is my second time applying, so it means a lot! Hopefully I've shown them that I've made a lot of progression since my initial interview though and that I came across really keen to get on the course:smile:
Reply 208
Original post by Isme007

Soooo glad I found this thread, everyone seems really nice and supportive :smile: I had both my interviews on the 21st in Dungannon and 22nd in Queens! Most nerve recking experience of my life to date. . . This is my second time applying, so it means a lot! Hopefully I've shown them that I've made a lot of progression since my initial interview though and that I came across really keen to get on the course:smile:

Hey! :smile: I hate waiting too! I had my interview on the 20th Feb! Have you started student finance? If you need any help let me know, I sent mine away nearly a month ago! haha, im so impatient! If you haven't heard by now it means you haven't been instantly rejected so don't worry! :smile: You've done all you can do ad im sure your enthusiasm showed! :smile:
Reply 209
Original post by Isme007

Hey!! I agree, I'd be lost without this forum at the minute!! How long did you wait to hear back after your interview last year?? Mine was in Dungannon 4 days ago, and I am freaking out!! I didn't do as well as I'd hoped at the interview and hope I didn't blow my chances! :s-smilie:

The fact that you've put yourself through all this again, will definitely show your determination and I wish you all the best! :biggrin:
Reply 210
Thank you Kerry! I may have to take you up on that offer! You'd think that I'd be well used to student finance by now, being a graduate, but I'm afraid not! :frown: Although as it's not my first time applying for student loans, my deadline might be a bit later. Being that both out interviews were mid Feb, late April seems sooo long away to find out! It'd be awful meeting the benchmark to get in, but not getting in on account of others' marks being higher :frown:

Hi No 1 mum :smile: i found out two days after my interview last year! :frown: I don't think I did terrible, but there's like a one in ten chance of getting into the course as competition's so fierce! :frown: But I managed to get a job working with LAC upon graduating, which I love, so hopefully that stands in my favour! Is Dungannon your choice of preference? I'm sure you did a lot better than you give yourself credit for! I myself found their questions quite challenging , so you're not alone! X
Reply 211
Original post by Isme007
Thank you Kerry! I may have to take you up on that offer! You'd think that I'd be well used to student finance by now, being a graduate, but I'm afraid not! :frown: Although as it's not my first time applying for student loans, my deadline might be a bit later. Being that both out interviews were mid Feb, late April seems sooo long away to find out! It'd be awful meeting the benchmark to get in, but not getting in on account of others' marks being higher :frown:

Hi No 1 mum :smile: i found out two days after my interview last year! :frown: I don't think I did terrible, but there's like a one in ten chance of getting into the course as competition's so fierce! :frown: But I managed to get a job working with LAC upon graduating, which I love, so hopefully that stands in my favour! Is Dungannon your choice of preference? I'm sure you did a lot better than you give yourself credit for! I myself found their questions quite challenging , so you're not alone! X

Yeah, my deadline is the 12th April! Im worried that my age is a big blocker, being 18 i don't have the experience someone like you or someone more mature would :s-smilie:
Reply 212
Original post by Isme007

Yeah the competition for places is so scary!! Last year there were over 2000 applicants!! I think it's lovely though that there are more caring people out there than we think, and that together, we can create a better future for so many people. :biggrin:

I hope your right, and that I am just being my own worst critic, but i'll not give up, even if I am unsuccessful this year. What subject did you graduate in? If I don't get in, I only have another 2 Open University modules to do, and then I will have a degree in Health and Social Care to try and get me in next year. Then I would probably apply for the 2 year course, only I've heard it's very intense! This is only worst case scenario
though and I'm hoping it doesn't come to that!!

Dungannon is definitely my best choice as I want to be close to home, but most importantly, close to my kids in case of emergency! My youngest is only starting playschool, so still very overprotective!!

Would Dungannon be your first choice?? xxx
Reply 213
Original post by KerryF94
Yeah, my deadline is the 12th April! Im worried that my age is a big blocker, being 18 i don't have the experience someone like you or someone more mature would :s-smilie:

You def don't have to worry hun!! :biggrin: You have a lot more experience than you think you do!! There are loads of younger social workers, and that can be a great advantage when connecting with children and young people.

I'd say for equality reasons, the uni's would have to allow a certain number of mature students and a certain number of younger one's. Uni's probably have government equality regulations that they have to follow, to allow people of all age, gender and ethnicity to further their education and gain employment!! They do have a tough job, and i'd say it's a far trickier process than we think!!

So try all that positive thinking I was telling you about!! It's definitely great that you haven't heard, so you passed the interview!! I'd put money on you getting a place no probs!! :biggrin:

Your a very inspirational wee lady, and I only wish I'd had your wisdom and determination when I was your age!! xxx
Reply 214
Original post by 1 No Mum
You def don't have to worry hun!! :biggrin: You have a lot more experience than you think you do!! There are loads of younger social workers, and that can be a great advantage when connecting with children and young people.

I'd say for equality reasons, the uni's would have to allow a certain number of mature students and a certain number of younger one's. Uni's probably have government equality regulations that they have to follow, to allow people of all age, gender and ethnicity to further their education and gain employment!! They do have a tough job, and i'd say it's a far trickier process than we think!!

So try all that positive thinking I was telling you about!! It's definitely great that you haven't heard, so you passed the interview!! I'd put money on you getting a place no probs!! :biggrin:

Your a very inspirational wee lady, and I only wish I'd had your wisdom and determination when I was your age!! xxx

aww thats so sweet! youre so kind! xx
Reply 215
Hi aw I give up lol,wer u all frm x
Reply 216

Heyy! :smile: Awwk how much have you got done?
Im from Dundonald, its like half an hour outside belfast! :smile: wbu?:
Reply 217

lol!! Did you get it done ok? :biggrin: I hope we helped you out a bit :biggrin: We'll keep our fingers crossed that you get an interview!!

I'm from Stewartstown (outside Dungannon)! WBU? :colone:
Reply 218
Hi, did u try and answer the questions separately first? This helped me. I'm born & bred in belfast but now i live in between two wee places called coagh & stewartstown. x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 219
Original post by KarenG128
Hi, did u try and answer the questions separately first? This helped me. I'm born & bred in belfast but now i live in between two wee places called coagh & stewartstown. x

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL! That is so weird!! lol!! I was born and bred halfway between Coagh and Stewartstown!! What a small world!

How are you getting on with your interview prep? :biggrin: xx

Quick Reply