The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

2014 Frequently Asked Questions (read this first)!

Scroll to see replies

Helpp!!
I got an offer for the St Andrews Mathematics course G100 for point entry 1, does the point entry mean starting for year one, or is fast track still available?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by hippopotamus03
Helpp!!
I got an offer for the St Andrews Mathematics course G100 for point entry 1, does the point entry mean starting for year one, or is fast track still available?

I don't really think your question belongs in the FAQ. But the answer is - fast track and direct entry to year 2 are different things. I personally don't recommend direct entry if you are qualified enough to do fast track, since direct entry limits your choices for honours modules a lot more.

If you do want to enter directly into second year then you should contact admissions and ask them how to go about getting it changed (be aware your offer conditions may change).
Original post by Steeeeevo
FOR ALL OF THOSE THANKING ME FOR THIS THREAD!
Just so you know, although I happened to be the first to get sick of answering the same questions and make this thread, a lot of the information also comes from the other current students on the board, namely ImperceptibleNinja, dragon500uk , la_banane_verte and anyone else Ive forgotten (if you want a mention just let me know!)

Hey steevo great information and many thanks, do you know if they offer any extra curriculum courses like Language courses or Careers enhancement courses? Thanks
Original post by AverageExcellence
Hey steevo great information and many thanks, do you know if they offer any extra curriculum courses like Language courses or Careers enhancement courses? Thanks

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/non-degree/evening-languages/ - language courses.

There are Careers things but I can't find them on the website atm sorry
Original post by AverageExcellence

Careers-wise there are a few things, including the PSC and a Microsoft Office certification
Original post by hayheyley
Careers-wise there are a few things, including the PSC and a Microsoft Office certification

Oh wow that is pretty cool, ive seen no end of jobs that want you to be explicitly qualified in the use of microsoft (even though 99.9999% of people our generation are computer literate surely?)
(edited 8 years ago)
On the St Andrews website, it says 'the University will consider applicants with A* grade A-level qualifications on an individual basis'- does this mean if the normal offer for a subject is AAB, and you get A*BB there's a chance you'll still be offered a place?
Reply 107
I was wondering what the average day looks like/ from when to when I can expect to be attending classes
Original post by annaw98
I was wondering what the average day looks like/ from when to when I can expect to be attending classes

Depends on your subject and year.

For example, I'm an arts student. In 1st year, I had classes Tues-Thurs 10-1 (3 classes, each was an hour), then 3 1hr long seminars throughout the week. Now, in 4th year, I have class 10-12 on Wednesdays and 11-1 on Thursdays.

My medic friend had a few hours of lectures most mornings, then clinicals, labs, etc. interspersed throughout the week; she was in some sort of class 9-4/5 most days.

There's no set schedule; it varies across the subjects and years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending