The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Official Imperial Applicants Thread (2012 Entry)

Hello there!

I haven't found a thread for those of us who plan to apply for 2012 yet, so I thought I'd create one. It is, of course, still early days yet (though last years applicant thread was created in May...)!

Discuss courses, AS results, pre-application anxiety, conditional offer anxiety, post-exam anxiety, cakes (:rolleyes:) etc.

Below is a list of 2012 Applicants. Please feel free to add yourself to The Stalking Page as well. :smile:

If you want to be on "The List" quote this post with:

Username: [your username]
Subject: [the subject you're applying for]

(If you do change your mind and want to be taken off "The List", let me know!)

2012 List of Applicants for Entry!

Courtesy of arianex, below is a list of 'advisors' who have contributed to the thread in many ways :smile: If you have any questions, just quote or PM them, and I'm sure they'll be happy to help!

List of Active Awesome Advisors!

And finally, GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Aw I might get a mothering instinct over this thread now :love:

New wanna-be UNDERGRADUATE Imperialites, if you need any help with personal statements/querries in general, PM me and I can get you in touch with other 2011 entry Imperialites!

Sorry I cant help postgraduates! :frown:

We'll be happy to help in anyway we can :h: Just quote me, or PM me or I won't see!

AND GOOD LUCK!

Original post by Beth1234
Hello there!

I haven't found a thread for those of us who plan to apply for 2012 yet, so I thought I'd create one. It is, of course, still early days yet (though last years applicant thread was created in May...)!

Discuss courses, AS results, pre-application anxiety, conditional offer anxiety, post-exam anxiety, cakes (:rolleyes:) etc.

I will start compiling a list of applicants when/if there are a few more people. :tongue:

Around October/November time, after UCAS applications have been sent off, just PM/contact one of the moderators in the 'Ask a Moderator' forum and they'll make this thread a sticky so 2012 entry people will know where to discuss :smile: You can get rid of all the 2011 stickys and start making 2012 stickys once the offers/firmers arrive. Don't do it just yet though, because us 2011 people still want a bit of glory time until freshers week :teehee:

arianex
2012 APPLICANTS

F.I
2012 applicants

Cyco
2012 applicants

Our new babies & our new home :love:
(edited 12 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Hi, My AS grades are as follows:
Chemistry: A - 282/300 ie 94%
Maths: A - 286/300 ie 95%
Biology: A - 285/300 ie 95%
English: A - don't know UMS (I'm away atm and my mum couldnt work out the score :/)
Critical Thinking: A

11A*s GCSE

Likelihood of an interview for medicine?
Reply 3
Original post by nikita_atikin
Aw I might get a mothering instinct over this thread now :love:

New wanna-be Imperialites, if you need any help with personal statements/querries in general, PM me and I can get you in touch with other 2011 entry Imperialites!

We'll be happy to help in anyway we can :h: Just quote me, or PM me or I won't see!

AND GOOD LUCK!

Around October/November time, after UCAS applications have been sent off, just PM/contact one of the moderators in the 'Ask a Moderator' forum and they'll make this thread a sticky so 2012 entry people will know where to discuss :smile: You can get rid of all the 2011 stickys and start making 2012 stickys once the offers/firmers arrive. Don't do it just yet though, because us 2011 people still want a bit of glory time until freshers week :teehee:

Hullo!

Thanks, any advice of any sort will always be welcomed! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by ybKing
English: A - don't know UMS (I'm away atm and my mum couldnt work out the score :/)

11A*s GCSE

They look impressive - just focus on getting the personal statement and work experience right and I'm sure you'd get an interview! :smile:

Are you keeping all four subjects on to A2?
Reply 5
Nope, just 3 for A2. I was hoping that by doing less A2s I would increase the chances of getting A*s. Any tips on personal statement?
Reply 6
Hi guys :smile: Thinking of applying for physics atm

Got A's in as physics and chemistry and have an A* in a-level maths, with 5 A*'s at GCSE.

What do you guys think of my chances with those grades, am i right in thinking that having an A* in maths already with be a pretty big help?

edit - forgot to mention i'll be doing a-level further maths next year
Reply 7
hey I also want to go to Imperial and got
A Maths (264/300)
A Physics (272/ 300) ~ 90% +
A Physics (276/ 300) ~ 90% +
2/3 modules for F.Maths AS A grade
...and a C in Geography. (god dammit!)

GCSEs 2A*, 5A and 3Bs (B in Additional Science :/ )

Hopefully going to read Geology/ Geophysics
Do i stand a chance? - all comments appreciated
Reply 8
Original post by Wisham

Got A's in as physics and chemistry and have an A* in a-level maths, with 5 A*'s at GCSE.

Provided you can concatenate together a passable PS that should be fine. A fourth subject would have been helpful.

What do you guys think of my chances with those grades, am i right in thinking that having an A* in maths already with be a pretty big help?

When I went, they didn't tell my interviewer that I had one :rolleyes:
Are you allowed to apply for two courses, say physics and physics with mathematics?
Reply 10
Original post by Astronomical
Are you allowed to apply for two courses, say physics and physics with mathematics?

Yes.
Reply 11
Original post by Wisham

edit - forgot to mention i'll be doing a-level further maths next year

Looks pretty good - the A* in maths will certainly take some pressure off having to get an A* as part of your offer... or is that 2 A*s...? :redface: Obviously depends on personal statement and everything.

Will you be doing A-level further maths in one year?
Reply 12
Original post by Beth1234
Looks pretty good - the A* in maths will certainly take some pressure off having to get an A* as part of your offer... or is that 2 A*s...? :redface: Obviously depends on personal statement and everything.

Will you be doing A-level further maths in one year?

Yeh I'll be doing the as in january, and the full thing by the end of the year. Will probaly pick up some of the extra mechanics modules aswell.
Reply 13
Original post by Wisham
Yeh I'll be doing the as in january, and the full thing by the end of the year. Will probaly pick up some of the extra mechanics modules aswell.

Ah fair enough, just realised that you've finished maths, and will only have A2 physics and chemistry to do...

Have people started their UCAS yet? :biggrin:
Original post by roblee
Yes.

That is good news!
OKAY THERE IS AN ONSLAUGHT OF 'IS THERE A CHANCE OF ME GETTING INTO BLAH BLAH COURSE?'

APPLICANTS! BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING - IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE GRADES. Yes, your A*s and As are impressive but PLEASE pay a MASSIVE attention to this:

SELECTION REQUIREMENTS

Your personal statement is of the essence!
USE the TSR PERSONAL STATEMENT HELPER service! It's VERY credible!
I wouldn't have got in to my course if I hadn't got a decent PS! I litterally fluffed my interview up (couldn't even solve a quadratic equation :s-smilie: ) but I think my PS saved me.
TSR has a whole punch of PS help 'do's and don'ts' and other services. MAKE USE!

ALSO

Reference - It's CRUCIAL that you get an excellent reference from your tutor/head of sixth form.
ASK THEM if you can read over that reference once they've done it.
MENTION any EXCELLENT UMS you may have got. For example - 90+ UMS in the Maths modules (out of 100 btw, 90 UMS out of 200 is a bit crap :tongue:)
Get each of your subject teachers to submit 1 paragraph based on why you are a good candidate and get your main reference writer to put them all together.
ALSO SOME TUTORS USE TEMPLATES - and with these templates come godforsaken errors like 'HE is a very determined pupil' when the pupil is a female (yes, this happened). CHECK AND PROOF READ YOUR REFERENCE AND PS!

GOOD LUCK!

Edit: Sorry for shouting haha, but I want you guys to do well :tongue:

EDIT2: APPLICANTS! REMEMBER THAT GETTING THE OFFER ISN'T THE HARD BIT! - It's meeting the requirements that bites you in the backside everyday :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by ybKing

11A*s GCSE

Also ace your BMAT and you will have a good chance for interview.
Reply 17
Im here for any advice!
Reply 18
Original post by nikita_atikin

Our new babies & our new home :love:

WOW, cant believe UCAS is over for us!!

Imperial applications 2012, we will be here if you need any advice! x
Reply 19
Yes, teacher references are a key. If the teacher reference has 'he/she' and them forgetting to delete the appropriate one, it won't look good. Your personal statement has to be good, not full of cliche(with an accent)s like mine which you can read in the personal statement wiki. Also don't bombard them with e-mails.

In my eyes, Imperial beats Oxbridge and so will be at Imperial for postgrad!
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest