The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics A Unit 1 January 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Hulksmash
Yes , also this decay is a weak interaction so strangeness doesn't have to be conserved. Unlike the original interaction which was a strong interaction.

It took me a while to figure why i was getting those questions wrong:confused::confused:, quite easy now.

I am still not shure how you figure out if a reaction is due to the strong interaction, is it if there are no quark changes?

"Originally Posted by jassi1
Is anyone doing the ISA unit on resistance?"

I think we have it on the Friday we get back

thanks
Reply 61
Original post by kinak
It took me a while to figure why i was getting those questions wrong:confused::confused:, quite easy now.

I am still not shure how you figure out if a reaction is due to the strong interaction, is it if there are no quark changes?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the question itself make it clear that it's the strong force?
Original post by SaltPillar
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the question itself make it clear that it's the strong force?

I don't understand how you can tell if a reaction is strong force or weak force. Please help? :smile:
Reply 63
A weak interaction can be defined as an interaction that involves a change of quark flavour
A weak interaction can be defined as an interaction that involves a change of quark flavour

Thanks. But what do you mean by "quark flavour"?
Reply 65

How can you tell if there has been a change of quark flavour?
Reply 66
quark flavour just means quark type, I think.

you can tell if it is a weak interaction when a quark type changes, eg. strangeness is not conserved as the strange quark has changed to another type
Reply 67
weak interactions use w+ W- or Z0 bosons
Reply 68
beta decay is a weak interaction because a down quark turns into an up quark
Reply 69
Original post by IAmTheChosenOne
Thanks. But what do you mean by "quark flavour"?

Change in "type".
Original post by IAmTheChosenOne
I don't understand how you can tell if a reaction is strong force or weak force. Please help? :smile:

The strong force is what keeps a nucleus together. The bosons or exchange particles are called gluons; they literally glue things together. The range is small though, around 10 fm, so this force doesn't work outside the nucleus. At this point, electromagnetic force cones.into play. Only hadrons experience the strong nuclear force, so electrons aren't glued to the nucleus xD
The weak nuclear force is responsible for decay (that's all we need to know at our level). The bosons or exchange particles are known as W+, W- or Z0. These bosons are quite heavy, so the range is small, only around 0.1 fm. However particles are small, so their proximity allows decay to occur. A good way to rememeber which boson you need is to think of the quark change. So a proton (uud) turning to a neutron (udd) means an up quark turning to a down quark, so its change is downward or negative. Therefore the boson is the W-. All fermions decay through the weak interaction.
Hope this helps x
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by blue012

Original post by blue012
Does anyone enjoy the Aqa physics textbook. I find it dull- using cgp instead

I've been using AQA and yep, I find it really dull, as soon as I get onto the photoelectric effect, my mind just goes blank. Is CGP any good? :/
Reply 72
Didn't know that the weak reactions were caused by change in quark flavour - that's quite interesting.
Original post by LifeinTechnicolor
I've been using AQA and yep, I find it really dull, as soon as I get onto the photoelectric effect, my mind just goes blank. Is CGP any good? :/

CGP's mostly good for the questions if you don't know how to do a topic, since the questions lay out the method for you. Personally, I can't recommend making your own notes enough - you know what you'l remember the best, so you can tailor your guide to what works for you.

Not needing to look in a book means that you can even plaster your walls in notes if you want to. I already have, myself...

Didn't know that the weak reactions were caused by change in quark flavour - that's quite interesting.

CGP's mostly good for the questions if you don't know how to do a topic, since the questions lay out the method for you. Personally, I can't recommend making your own notes enough - you know what you'l remember the best, so you can tailor your guide to what works for you.

Not needing to look in a book means that you can even plaster your walls in notes if you want to. I already have, myself...

yeah, i've made my own notes and plastered them to the walls, even the feynman diagrams... thanks anyway.
Also, can someone explain the Photoelectric effect? and answer this

'The photoelectric effect suggests that electromagnetic waves can exhibit particle - like
behaviour. Explain what is meant by threshold frequency and why the existence of a
threshold frequency supports the particle nature of electromagnetic waves.'

will be much appreciated. :biggrin:
Reply 75
I don't think the text book goes into enough detail does anybody have any notes or on line revision website they use , It would be really helpful
Original post by LifeinTechnicolor
Also, can someone explain the Photoelectric effect? and answer this

'The photoelectric effect suggests that electromagnetic waves can exhibit particle - like behaviour. Explain what is meant by threshold frequency and why the existence of a threshold frequency supports the particle nature of electromagnetic waves.'

will be much appreciated. :biggrin:

Electrons can be emitted from a metal surface if given energy greater than or equal to the work function of the metal ( h * f(threshold) ). This energy can be supplied by incident light photons of energy h * f(threshold) or greater - the threshold frequency therefore being the minimum frequency that the incident light must have in order to liberate electrons. This is shown to be the case as if f < f(threshold), no electrons are emitted, regardless of the intensity of the incident light. The light must therefore act as particles (photons) whose energy = h * f. Increasing the intensity if f is greater than or equal to f(threshold) will increase the rate of emission of electrons, indicating that the number of incident photons per second has increased. Each electron can absorb only one photon.

I think that that just about answers it, but if anyone can think of anything else to add, feel free to!

edit. I didn't realise that you wanted the photoelectric effect explained in and of itself as well sorry. I think the following covers it, but am happy to take suggestions and/or clarify anything!

The photoelectric effect is the emission of electrons from a metal surface due to incident photons of energy (h * f) greater than or equal to the work function (h * f(threshold)) of the metal, the minimum energy required to liberate an electron. Each electron can absorb only one photon. Emitted electrons have maximum kinetic energy equal to the difference between the photon energy and work function, and this varies up to a maximum due to electrons below the surface having to do work to get to the surface before being emitted. The photoelectric effect provides evidence for the particle nature of light, as if light were acting as waves, energy could be absorbed by the electrons over a period of time until reaching the required amount and being emitted. This is not the case - electrons are emitted immediately once f is greater than or equal to the threshold frequency. Furthermore, if light were acting as waves, the energy transferred by the light would be dependant on its intensity. This is not the case - if f < f(threshold), then increasing the intensity will have no effect; and if f is greater than or equal to f(threshold), then increasing the intensity will increase the rate of emission of electrons, indicating that there are more photons landing on the metal surface per second.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GabGirl
I don't think the text book goes into enough detail does anybody have any notes or on line revision website they use , It would be really helpful

For AS:
http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/Physics%20A%20level/welcome_to_as_physics.htm

For A2:
http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/Physics%20A%20level/welcome_to_a2_physics.htm

Remember though, use the specification to check what you need to know, as antonine education, for example, gives more information that we require (although it is all very interesting!).
Original post by NothingCrushesUs

Original post by NothingCrushesUs
Electrons can be emitted from a metal surface if given energy greater than or equal to the work function of the metal ( h * f(threshold) ). This energy can be supplied by incident light photons of energy h * f(threshold) or greater - the threshold frequency therefore being the minimum frequency that the incident light must have in order to liberate electrons. This is shown to be the case as if f &lt; f(threshold), no electrons are emitted, regardless of the intensity of the incident light. The light must therefore act as particles (photons) whose energy = h * f. Increasing the intensity if f is greater than or equal to f(threshold) will increase the rate of emission of electrons, indicating that the number of incident photons per second has increased. Each electron can absorb only one photon.

I think that that just about answers it, but if anyone can think of anything else to add, feel free to!

edit. I didn't realise that you wanted the photoelectric effect explained in and of itself as well sorry. I think the following covers it, but am happy to take suggestions and/or clarify anything!

The photoelectric effect is the emission of electrons from a metal surface due to incident photons of energy (h * f) greater than or equal to the work function (h * f(threshold)) of the metal, the minimum energy required to liberate an electron. Each electron can absorb only one photon. Emitted electrons have maximum kinetic energy equal to the difference between the photon energy and work function, and this varies up to a maximum due to electrons below the surface having to do work to get to the surface before being emitted. The photoelectric effect provides evidence for the particle nature of light, as if light were acting as waves, energy could be absorbed by the electrons over a period of time until reaching the required amount and being emitted. This is not the case - electrons are emitted immediately once f is greater than or equal to the threshold frequency. Furthermore, if light were acting as waves, the energy transferred by the light would be dependant on its intensity. This is not the case - if f &lt; f(threshold), then increasing the intensity will have no effect; and if f is greater than or equal to f(threshold), then increasing the intensity will increase the rate of emission of electrons, indicating that there are more photons landing on the metal surface per second.

Yeah, thank you! just what I wanted, i have so many notes that cross over that its all confusing as to what is what. no, this is great. thanks for taking the time to do that! :smile:
JUST REALISED WE HAVE LESS THAN 3 WEEKS LEFT!
:zomg:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending