The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

A friend of mine who teaches there has a theory that it's because the administration is a mess. This is partly because a lot of the courses are run at faculty level and so the students don't know where they're meant to be when, or who they're meant to turn to for support. The friend is also of the opinion that the teaching and academic attention paid to students is actually better than at the equivalent universities they've worked in. But my own experience has also been that administration and clear points of contact matter enormously to student satisfaction, even if the academics couldn't give a toss.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 41
Original post by sarah1345
Sounds like things are changing, the people at the open day mentioned that to me as well, that they're starting to give more feedback on blackboard and stuff?
What did you study? And what are you doing now? Also, how good is the careers service? If I went there and asked for an internship in insurance/consultancy management, could they get me one?

They couldn't get you one you have to apply but they give good advice on where to apply, CV, cover letter and theres loads of workshops on assessment centres and interviews. The careers centre is absolutely fantastic and speaking to friends from other unis sounds like Manchester's is way better.
Reply 42
Sounds like things are changing, the people at the open day mentioned that to me as well, that they're starting to give more feedback on blackboard and stuff?
What did you study? And what are you doing now? Also, how good is the careers service? If I went there and asked for an internship in insurance/consultancy management, could they get me one?

Studied Economics, currently working as a strategy and marketing associate for a consultancy. Starting an Mphil at JBS, Cambridge this autumn (Hence being on TSR)

They can't get you an internship, you have to do that yourself but they do send vacancy and event alerts, help with your CV, do mock interviews and assessment centres with you and host a ton of career fairs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Heresy
Studied Economics, currently working as a strategy and marketing associate for a consultancy. Starting an Mphil at JBS, Cambridge this autumn.

They can't get you an internship, you have to do that yourself but they do send vacancy and event alerts, help with your CV, do mock interviews and assessment centres with you and host a ton of career fair.

Would I be able to enter the consultancy industy/management with a history+econ degree from manchester? Or do they want quantitative degrees?
Reply 44
No, no I meant how do you apply for accom lol. I'm UK UCAS as well :biggrin:

:facepalm: well aren't I an eejit. I got an ID code for the Manc website which meant I could log in on the accommodation website set up an account and apply it's pretty quick and painless, which is good!
Reply 45
Would I be able to enter the consultancy industy/management with a history+econ degree from manchester? Or do they want quantitative degrees?

Yes. Lots of people from non-quantitative backgrounds in the industry. You'd have to be good with numbers though and would suggest getting experience that shows you're comfortable with numbers and are analyical. Eg being a treasurer of a society, active member of a trading team, starting a small business etc
Reply 46
Original post by Heresy
Yes. Lots of people from non-quantitative backgrounds in the industry. You'd have to be good with numbers though and would suggest getting experience that shows you're comfortable with numbers and are analyical. Eg being a treasurer of a society, active member of a trading team, starting a small business etc

Active member of trading team? How do you mean? Also, when you say good with numbers, do you just literally mean the basics, or algebra etc? Calculus?

I would want to get experience but it's so tough :/
Reply 47
Active member of trading team? How do you mean? Also, when you say good with numbers, do you just literally mean the basics, or algebra etc? Calculus?

I would want to get experience but it's so tough :/

There's a trading society on campus that trade stocks (real and dummy), join one of the teams.

Basics. You'll be thought anything above standard arithmetics like algorithims. At the end of the day, it all comes down to addition, substraction, multiplication and division; just quicker and with more layers.

On experience, start attending employer events from the second week in Uni and get yourself a spring internship/work expelrience in a mgt consultancy, bank or proffessional services firm. If that doesn't work out, compile a list of small mgt/strategy consultancies in Manchester, London or your hometown and beg them to spend a few weeks in the summer working for free and learning about the industry.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Heresy
There's a trading society on campus that trade stocks (real and dummy), join one of the teams.

Basics. You'll be thought anything above standard arithmetics like algorithims. At the end of the day, it all comes down to addition, substraction, multiplication and division; just quicker and with more layers.

To experience, start attending employer events from the second week in Uni and get yourself a spring internship/work expelrience in a mgt consultancy, bank or proffessional services firm. If that doesn't work out, compile a list of small mgt/strategy consultancies in Manchester, London or your hometown and beg them to spend a few weeks in the summer working for free and learning about the industry.

Ah thanks! Yes I will do! Are they normal people, like not just 'geeks' (no offence intended :biggrin:) I will certainly look into that! I haven't done anything above GCSE Maths, but I'm comfortable with +,-,/,x, %s etc, basics. You didn't make that part clear, did you mean you don't need to know "arithmetics like algorithims"? I will probably try and get something in Manchester, although I'm from London, and will try there too, it's incredibly competitive.

Thanks, will look at the trade society, do they have a fb page?
Reply 49
Original post by Heresy

To experience, start attending employer events from the second week in Uni and get yourself a spring internship/work expelrience in a mgt consultancy, bank or proffessional services firm. If that doesn't work out, compile a list of small mgt/strategy consultancies in Manchester, London or your hometown and beg them to spend a few weeks in the summer working for free and learning about the industry.

http://www.mutis.co.uk/who_we_are.php this?
Reply 50
Ah thanks! Yes I will do! Are they normal people, like not just 'geeks' (no offence intended :biggrin:) I will certainly look into that! I haven't done anything above GCSE Maths, but I'm comfortable with +,-,/,x, %s etc, basics. You didn't make that part clear, did you mean you don't need to know "arithmetics like algorithims"? I will probably try and get something in Manchester, although I'm from London, and will try there too, it's incredibly competitive.

Thanks, will look at the trade society, do they have a fb page?

Mostly normal :smile: More athletes than geeks. Yh, meant you don't need to know algorithms. Most will prefer A-level maths but if you can get some experience, that'll make up for it.

Search for Manchester University trading and investment society (Mutis) on FB.
Reply 51
Yep
Reply 52
Original post by Heresy
Mostly normal :smile: More athletes than geeks. Yh, meant you don't need to know algorithms. Most will prefer A-level maths but if you can get some experience, that'll make up for it.

Search for Manchester University trading and investment society (Mutis) on FB.

Thanks for all this info, good luck with Cambridge and your career :biggrin:
Reply 53

More precision about the school

The NSS result and low satisfaction rating

I hope this helps you understand the whole situation, if you've got more questions, don't hesitate!
Original post by iamlovinit05
I see, that sure explains some stuff.
Yea thats what i wanna find out as well. As I intend to work for 1-2 years in the UK for experience after graduation, I really do hope that the employers don't treat Manchester the way TSRians does haha.

I'm currently a second year and am testament to the fact that Manchester is extremely good for employment prospects, I have three summer internships lined up. Because Manchester is such a huge university it is targeted heavily by employers from all industries. I also agree with people's posts that the careers service is excellent. Also, going to Manchester can actually be an advantage in employment terms than going to say Oxbridge as you also have the time to take part in a lot of extra-curriculars and develop skills that employers look for. A 2.1 from Oxbridge won't actually get you that far in employment terms if you can't demonstrate any skills such as team work etc.

I get annoyed at some people who complain about Manchester to be honest, and these are probably the people who fill in the surveys. The people who complain tend to be the ones who aren't getting fantastic grades but want to blame everything but themselves. On my course this seems to happen with two types of people; the lazy ones who never turn up to anything and then get annoyed it is not all recorded and available online and then some international students who put in the work but seem less familiar with UK examination styles. The thing is people then just complain that the teaching isn't good enough etc. which isn't true. You can guarantee these people haven't attended things such as essay writing workshops and exam technique sessions that are advertised. They will then blame the fact that they didn't know about these sessions but honestly we are all adults and it does not take much effort to go looking for these things yourself.

So my vote is - legal tables are rubbish, the only thing that actually matters is job prospects. Welcome to the real world.
Reply 55
Original post by Anatheme

More precision about the school

The NSS result and low satisfaction rating

I hope this helps you understand the whole situation, if you've got more questions, don't hesitate!

Wow cheers for that. So from the sounds of things, MAJOR improvements will be made for September 2012? And there will be 15 hours teaching a week? How many lectures could I expect for Modern History with Economics [BA]?
Reply 56
Original post by Blondie_Florence
I'm currently a second year and am testament to the fact that Manchester is extremely good for employment prospects, I have three summer internships lined up. Because Manchester is such a huge university it is targeted heavily by employers from all industries. I also agree with people's posts that the careers service is excellent. Also, going to Manchester can actually be an advantage in employment terms than going to say Oxbridge as you also have the time to take part in a lot of extra-curriculars and develop skills that employers look for. A 2.1 from Oxbridge won't actually get you that far in employment terms if you can't demonstrate any skills such as team work etc.

I get annoyed at some people who complain about Manchester to be honest, and these are probably the people who fill in the surveys. The people who complain tend to be the ones who aren't getting fantastic grades but want to blame everything but themselves. On my course this seems to happen with two types of people; the lazy ones who never turn up to anything and then get annoyed it is not all recorded and available online and then some international students who put in the work but seem less familiar with UK examination styles. The thing is people then just complain that the teaching isn't good enough etc. which isn't true. You can guarantee these people haven't attended things such as essay writing workshops and exam technique sessions that are advertised. They will then blame the fact that they didn't know about these sessions but honestly we are all adults and it does not take much effort to go looking for these things yourself.

So my vote is - legal tables are rubbish, the only thing that actually matters is job prospects. Welcome to the real world.

WOW! What are you studying?! 3 internships? And yeah, I thought Mancs would be good because it's away from the highly competitive London area, so you could get more contacts because being large it would be targeted, whereas London you've got 4 unis plus the rest of UoL and QMUL, RHUL etc. Did the careers department help you get the internships? and what industry are they in if you don't mind me asking, did you have any prior experience?
WOW! What are you studying?! 3 internships? And yeah, I thought Mancs would be good because it's away from the highly competitive London area, so you could get more contacts because being large it would be targeted, whereas London you've got 4 unis plus the rest of UoL and QMUL, RHUL etc. Did the careers department help you get the internships? and what industry are they in if you don't mind me asking, did you have any prior experience?

Hey, they're law ones and I study Law. Yes you've got it spot on with what you said, we get a lot of sponsorship money from firms for our societies as well and we seem to be one of their favourites in the North. Economics (is that what you said you were doing?) is very similar in this way i.e. you will get all of the finance/accounting firms and banks sponsoring things and giving presentations. I know for a fact that for law at least, Manchester is one of the top 10 unis targeted by the biggest firms. In fact to give yourself a clue, look at some firms in the industry you are interested in and see where they give their careers presentations. You might be surprised as to which unis they choose. I used the careers service for their extensive information on interviews and assessment centres. I did a practice psychometric test with them and I also could have done a mock interview if I had wanted to. I also used staff within my faculty for advice, if you get involved and be proactive there is loads of held and advice out there.

Edit: just seen you're doing History/Economics -perfect for converting to commercial law in case you're interested haha - and in answer to your question of previous experience, I had some minor stuff and I applied for a lot of first year law firm stuff in my first year as well as all the firms came and did presentations etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Blondie_Florence
Hey, they're law ones and I study Law. Yes you've got it spot on with what you said, we get a lot of sponsorship money from firms for our societies as well and we seem to be one of their favourites in the North. Economics (is that what you said you were doing?) is very similar in this way i.e. you will get all of the finance/accounting firms and banks sponsoring things and giving presentations. I know for a fact that for law at least, Manchester is one of the top 10 unis targeted by the biggest firms. In fact to give yourself a clue, look at some firms in the industry you are interested in and see where they give their careers presentations. You might be surprised as to which unis they choose. I used the careers service for their extensive information on interviews and assessment centres. I did a practice psychometric test with them and I also could have done a mock interview if I had wanted to. I also used staff within my faculty for advice, if you get involved and be proactive there is loads of held and advice out there.

Edit: just seen you're doing History/Economics -perfect for converting to commercial law in case you're interested haha - and in answer to your question of previous experience, I had some minor stuff and I applied for a lot of first year law firm stuff in my first year as well as all the firms came and did presentations etc.

Hmm, if I went into Law it would be property law most probably, but I guess I'd still need to do GDL, and even then I'm not guaranteed to make it big, Law is very competitive! aha, so well done! Do you think Banks/insurance/management consultancy firms/financial services, would be open to me? Considering I'm doing Hist/Econ? :s I heard there are loads of History grads in financial services; an industry I'd like to enter.

Do you know how many graduates actually get onto graduate schemes at Manchester through the top 100 graduate employers? Surely there won't be many places considering they recruit elsewhere, added to the fact that generally the largest firms take on a maximum of 50 grads per year?
Reply 59
Personally i have had no experience with manchester uni as im not a student there. but i read a blog of a guy who was a medic there and he hated every minute of it. apparently after the first year they leave you to fend for yourself and the administration side of it is really bad... just what i heard :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending