The Student Room Group

Why do people obsess over celebrities?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kohler1994

Some of it sounds alright. Not the type of music i can listen to all the time.

Fair enough. Although the gathering have a fair amount of diversity, no one album sounds the same. They are actually touring with the 1992 lineup playing death metal atm, different from their later stuff. Probably why I like them so much. I'm friends with all the current members on facebook. One thing I notice that worries me is that Anneke isn't. I hope her leaving the band didn't cause them to fall out. Still hoping one day they will reunite with her and do a tour. They won't come to UK though, they haven't since 2003 :frown:

Never mind you probaby don't give 2 ****s. On my last fm for this week I've got 444 plays for TG and another 118 for Anneke.
Reply 41
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
Fair enough. Although the gathering have a fair amount of diversity, no one album sounds the same. They are actually touring with the 1992 lineup playing death metal atm, different from their later stuff. Probably why I like them so much. I'm friends with all the current members on facebook. One thing I notice that worries me is that Anneke isn't. I hope her leaving the band didn't cause them to fall out. Still hoping one day they will reunite with her and do a tour. They won't come to UK though, they haven't since 2003 :frown:

Never mind you probaby don't give 2 ****s. On my last fm for this week I've got 444 plays for TG and another 118 for Anneke.

Yeah i only gave a few of the Anneke songs a quick listen. Might listen in to a few more of the gathering. Love when a band can play more than one style of music and still sound great!

I honestly love to see someone so passionate about music and a band. I'm the same about Snow Patrol. Nice to see that somebody else knows that you can really like a band without being obsessed with them to the point you know every last thing about them.
Reply 42
Original post by pink pineapple
Not as in an over obssession with the daily life but I can understand why people are interested in the jobs of some famous people

Yes, interested in the jobs of the famous people like the music they play etc etc. But being obsessed about them and desperate to find out every last thing about them seems too much.
Yes, interested in the jobs of the famous people like the music they play etc etc. But being obsessed about them and desperate to find out every last thing about them seems too much.

exactly, if they are an actress then the films they've been in but not intrinsic little detail e.g their latest diet
Reply 44
Original post by pink pineapple
exactly, if they are an actress then the films they've been in but not intrinsic little detail e.g their latest diet

Yeah exactly, or their exact weight, DOB, Birth time, Birth weight... Who cares? :redface:
Yeah i only gave a few of the Anneke songs a quick listen. Might listen in to a few more of the gathering. Love when a band can play more than one style of music and still sound great!

I honestly love to see someone so passionate about music and a band. I'm the same about Snow Patrol. Nice to see that somebody else knows that you can really like a band without being obsessed with them to the point you know every last thing about them.

I'll be honest and say that for the snow patrol I've heard I don't like them at all. On sport relief they played I think chasing cars? To me that was boring, didn't have much variation in the way of music played throughout the song.

I prefer TG to Anneke's solo stuff, and I love Rene's guitar playing. One of my very many influences of how I want to play guitar, even though I suck at it atm. If there is one thing they are great at it's evolving while never selling out or trying to make money. Same with my other favourite band Dark Fortress, they really change each album, and they have done six now. Stabwounds is still my favourite album of all time. Met their guitarist twice, once a few years ago for Dark Fortress, and last month when he played with Triptykon. Such a nice bloke, told me what some of his influences were. I guessed Emperor right! Sure bands like AC/DC never sold out, but they do kind of make the same album over and over.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
I'll be honest and say that for the snow patrol I've heard I don't like them at all. On sport relief they played I think chasing cars? To me that was boring, didn't have much variation in the way of music played throughout the song.

I prefer TG to Anneke's solo stuff, and I love Rene's guitar playing. One of my very many influences of how I want to play guitar, even though I suck at it atm. If there is one thing they are great at it's evolving while never selling out or trying to make money. Same with my other favourite band Dark Fortress, they really change each album, and they have done six now. Stabwounds is still my favourite album of all time. Met their guitarist twice, once a few years ago for Dark Fortress, and last month when he played with Triptykon. Such a nice bloke, told me what some of his influences were. I guessed Emperor right! Sure bands like AC/DC never sold out, but they do kind of make the same album over and over.

Yeah your right with the performance on Sport Relief. They seem to lack character in performances like that. Watching Snow Patrol grow over time though is amazing. Listening to their first album right through to their current album, you can see them grow. They also try new things on each album and experiment with different instruments etc etc. For example, they did a "reworked tour" where they played all of their songs but just changed them all up a bit - used different instruments and generally just experimented musically. Live, with a crowd who actually want to see them, they are second to none in my opinion. Seen them 4 times live now and cannot compliment enough. Gary banters with the crowd, has amazing stage presence and just generally enjoys himself!

Playing guitar is something i totally wish I had stuck at more! Don't have the patience for it anymore. Stick at it. Awesome how you've met their guitarist. Sounds like such a genuine guy and pretty cool how he can talk to you about all the influences he has and stuff. Wish I could meet Gary, just to talk about his inspirations - since he writes stuff for the Huffington Post (i think that's the name of it) and writes regularly in his blog about things I follow/take an interest in.

I agree on every level, music should be about the music rather than fame, making money and everyone knowing you. Make music for the love and lifestyle of music rather than fame. Bands should love touring and want to tour - whether sold out or not.
Yeah your right with the performance on Sport Relief. They seem to lack character in performances like that. Watching Snow Patrol grow over time though is amazing. Listening to their first album right through to their current album, you can see them grow. They also try new things on each album and experiment with different instruments etc etc. For example, they did a "reworked tour" where they played all of their songs but just changed them all up a bit - used different instruments and generally just experimented musically. Live, with a crowd who actually want to see them, they are second to none in my opinion. Seen them 4 times live now and cannot compliment enough. Gary banters with the crowd, has amazing stage presence and just generally enjoys himself!

Playing guitar is something i totally wish I had stuck at more! Don't have the patience for it anymore. Stick at it. Awesome how you've met their guitarist. Sounds like such a genuine guy and pretty cool how he can talk to you about all the influences he has and stuff. Wish I could meet Gary, just to talk about his inspirations - since he writes stuff for the Huffington Post (i think that's the name of it) and writes regularly in his blog about things I follow/take an interest in.

I agree on every level, music should be about the music rather than fame, making money and everyone knowing you. Make music for the love and lifestyle of music rather than fame. Bands should love touring and want to tour - whether sold out or not.

yeah first time I saw them they must have lost money, only about 50 people turned up, and it was only £10 entry.

Soon as I finish my uni work for the year in a few weeks I'm really going to throw myself back into learning guitar, really want to get good enough at it to write my own stuff.

The Gathering did the same kind of thing a while back, they didn't want to do a best of for century media, so they released a semi-acoustic live album, where they only played acoustic guitars, but still kept all the keyboards and synths. Eleanor, In motion, the mirror waters, like fountains and stonegarden were definitely VERY different to the originals.

With snow patrol it wasn't really the performance, it was just sooo minimal, the same thing played on guitar for the entire song, and the same chords on piano, with a few flourishes to accent it at times. Not really my thing tbh, then I've always been a fan of loud metal music, so gonna have different ideas to most people lol.
Reply 48
yeah first time I saw them they must have lost money, only about 50 people turned up, and it was only £10 entry.

Soon as I finish my uni work for the year in a few weeks I'm really going to throw myself back into learning guitar, really want to get good enough at it to write my own stuff.

The Gathering did the same kind of thing a while back, they didn't want to do a best of for century media, so they released a semi-acoustic live album, where they only played acoustic guitars, but still kept all the keyboards and synths. Eleanor, In motion, the mirror waters, like fountains and stonegarden were definitely VERY different to the originals.

With snow patrol it wasn't really the performance, it was just sooo minimal, the same thing played on guitar for the entire song, and the same chords on piano, with a few flourishes to accent it at times. Not really my thing tbh, then I've always been a fan of loud metal music, so gonna have different ideas to most people lol.

Oh, I wish i could see Snow Patrol on such a small stage/venue. Awesome seeing bands you really like on such a small stage.

Stick at the guitar man, I'm sure you will be able to get there eventually - especially with so much time off uni! :biggrin:

Very good to see a band experimenting like you say and especially not going totally mainstream like what people would want/expect them to do.

Yeah i understand what your saying with Snow Patrol. Chasing cars and Run are their most famous songs and while they sound good with everyone singing along at a festival or the like, musically they are pretty terrible. Run has 4 chords. Lyrically they are fantastic but musically there isn't much to it. If you like loud metal music then Snow Patrol is never going to be your thing.:tongue:
Oh, I wish i could see Snow Patrol on such a small stage/venue. Awesome seeing bands you really like on such a small stage.

Stick at the guitar man, I'm sure you will be able to get there eventually - especially with so much time off uni! :biggrin:

Very good to see a band experimenting like you say and especially not going totally mainstream like what people would want/expect them to do.

Yeah i understand what your saying with Snow Patrol. Chasing cars and Run are their most famous songs and while they sound good with everyone singing along at a festival or the like, musically they are pretty terrible. Run has 4 chords. Lyrically they are fantastic but musically there isn't much to it. If you like loud metal music then Snow Patrol is never going to be your thing.:tongue:

Nope, still don't dislike them as much as Coldplay though (eurggh). Not a fan of the lyrics of those songs in all honesty, but each to their own. At least it isn't about 'banging hoes' and all the urban themes I dislike.
Reply 50
Nope, still don't dislike them as much as Coldplay though (eurggh). Not a fan of the lyrics of those songs in all honesty, but each to their own. At least it isn't about 'banging hoes' and all the urban themes I dislike.

Yeah, each to their own. Cannot stand those songs! :redface:
Reply 51
Original post by SleepySheep
Was there a spider on your keyboard?

Yep, i named her Kate. Kate Winslet :smile:
Original post by Becca94
Yep, i named her Kate. Kate Winslet :smile:

I approve :biggrin:
Reply 53
Some celebrities don't deserve anyone's energy/time.

For example, I still don't know who Jordan or Alex are, all I know is that it is probably a bad name to give any child I have :cool:

I did meet Jay De Marcus on holiday a few years ago though. He's not an English celebrity, and probably too humble to be an American one too, but he ****ing kicks ass!!

Also, I understand (but not in a gay way) the obsession girls have with Steven Gerrard (i'm from liveprool), because he doesn't need to do anything to be obsesed over.
Reply 54
You obviously are not on tumblr...
Not really sure if this is the right forum to post this in but anyways...

Like the title says, why do people obsess over celebrities? What's the point? There is someone I know who literally goes to the extent of knowing each of her favourite celebrities birthdays and times, to the exact minute. She knows the weight most of them were when they were born etc etc.

Fair enough some of them are talented but obsessing over someone you don't know seems a bit over the top.

Does anyone else agree?

She ****ing mental?
Reply 56
Probably the same reason the ancients obsessed over the lives of their many Gods; they represent kind of universal archetypes which hold a special power over us.
Reply 57
EVERYONE OFF TOWIE - arhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! why are these people "celebrities"!!
because people in real life are boring and unattractive and it lets us escape from our own humdrum lives.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by sarahthegemini
She ****ing mental?

That's probably what you would call it yes. She honestly cried when it was Justin Bieber's 18th birthday saying how proud she was of how far he had come!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending