The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Troll Toll
I don't really understand your phrasing but my opinion is that how weights "feel" is almost totally mental when you're a raw lifter. The weights take a bit of getting used to if you're in a suit, but not much.
I agree . It's more of a mental barrier being uncertain of whether you will fail or make the rep , only because you have never tried that weight .
Original post by Adidas90
Even if it is totally mental it can be so annoying sometimes how the stupidest of things can get in the way. There have been numerous occasions when by my own opinion (and by the opinion of much more skilled people watching) I should have benched something like a 7.5-10kg PB, but bottled it on the max set

I remember few wks back I did 95 and it moved like 60kg. Went to 102.5 and ground out the hardest ugliest most tentative rep ever because I had it in my mind that >100= heavy. ****in pathetic. Still think if I could get over things in my head I could put like +5kg on all maxes instantly. I'm just one of those people that's scared of going heavy (lol)

The way to go about it is to ask for a spotter , leave the hard bit for yourself. That way you can at least grind the rep without worrying about its heaviness :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thoughts on Italy v Spain?

Obviously supporting Italy but it will be a hard one.
Reply 3923
Original post by liftorrot
The way to go about it is to ask for a spotter , leave the hard bit for yourself. That way you can at least grind the rep without worrying about it's heaviness :tongue:

I had a spotter. my point is everything was perfect, including all the warmups. And the only thing that ****ed it up was my head
Original post by Gallium
are you being serious?, bolt never lost due to his start...he was ahead of blake at one point, but as the last 40meters or so blake just killed it. Bolt was just out-run.

doesn't mean if your a wr holder you can't be beaten without an excuse behind it,

edit: i'm aware bolt had a crappy start, but that's not the reason why he was beat

That's more to do with the camera angle. But agree at no point does Bolt catch Blake. Blake matched him, if not went faster at the top end speed side of things.

Bolt even admitted last year that the reason he false started was because he was nervous and knew he would have to get out well to beat Blake. Blake is also a better 200m runner. He ran 19.26 last year and if he had the same reaction time Bolt had in his 200m WR run, he would now be the record holder.

I still think Bolt can win...Blake has never had great starts like Bolt has in his 3 WR runs. Bolt normally has great starts when it comes to championships.
Original post by Michael XYZ

Same , tired of watching Spain win every other tournament :tongue:
i too thought bolt was clearly winning, then that other guy just did him like midway

edit: it's literally at that moment when someone's arm is in the way. Before the arm he's winning, after it he's losing

That is Asafa...you know former WR holder. Bolt is the current WR holder kind of easily recognisable because he's a famous sportsman and is 6ft 6.
I had a spotter. my point is everything was perfect, including all the warmups. And the only thing that ****ed it up was my head

There you go... you have the solution right in front of you .
Reply 3928
Original post by liftorrot
There you go... you have the solution right in front of you .

I know. I'm saying it's all in my head and i always do it and am unable to stop it. That's why I can do 3-5 reps with >90% of max on most lifts. Cos i just bottle it when I know I'm going "heavy"

I think you misinterpret what I'm saying here. I'm not asking for advice or anything, just telling you a cool story (bro), and (badly) contributing to the conversation on mental blocks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3929
Original post by McHumpy92
That is Asafa...you know former WR holder. Bolt is the current WR holder kind of easily recognisable because he's a famous sportsman and is 6ft 6.

LOL my bad
Apart from strengthshop, where else is good for buying decent - but not expensive - equipment for home?
To be honest I think they're the only one in the UK that offer things at fairly decent prices for good products (usually).
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Apart from strengthshop, where else is good for buying decent - but not expensive - equipment for home?

What kind of equipment? As in power rack, plates and bar?
Original post by McHumpy92
What kind of equipment? As in power rack, plates and bar?

No just bench and adjustable dumbells/plates.
Original post by Arturo Bandini
No just bench and adjustable dumbells/plates.

Ebay it. Loads of people have that kind of crap in their garage and trying to get rid of it. Good training equipment like squat racks and power racks are harder. You should find something close easy.
Reply 3935
Decided to go back onto Stronglifts while my wrist heals. I find compound movements don't aggravate it as much as isolations.
Reply 3936
Original post by GQ.
Decided to go back onto Stronglifts while my wrist heals. I find compound movements don't aggravate it as much as isolations.

is wanking an isolation or a compound exercise ?
Reply 3937
Original post by Michael XYZ

Didn't expect 4-0, but they were just too good. Obviously much harder when they went to 10 men but it was over by then anyway.

So they 'bored' the fairweather, watch a few games every two years crowd; I don't think they were particularly boring tonight. Just have to applaud excellence at times, and they currently exude excellence.

Hats off to Italy, though, as they had a good tournament overall.
Reply 3938
is wanking an isolation or a compound exercise ?

Compound of course.
Nah 4-0 is a joke and just sad due to all he events.

Personally feel Italy played with a lot of fear and pressure when what pressure did they have? I know it's the final but no one expected anything from them! The last two games they did so well in passing and defending but both those things were utterly terrible this game.

Of course their opponent plays a role in that. I still think Italy lost it more than Spain won it. 1-0 half time would have been okay but 2-0 half time was kind of game over and from there just snowballed with Motta and everything.

Chiellini played a poor game and a waste of a substitution. Should have never played such a slow defender against Spain.

Latest