The Student Room Group

Think my University is about to kick me out, what to do next?

I just finished my 3rd year of a Business Management Marketing degree. Got a 2:2 overall and no retakes this year. My university account says that a 2nd year module is failed with no retake. It is a business law module which the uni made me retake and didn't allow to resit. I did well in the coursework again but the exam with more weighting screwed me up again. I am 2 marks away from condoning it if I put my coursework grade from this time and last time's exam grade. The university said they would most likely have to kick me out though in a few days time. It wasn't a pre-requisite nor leading on from previous modules, law has no link to my marketing pathway. We're allowed to condone 1 module a year so it doesn't account to the degree mark, the lowest mark from the year doesn't get accounted. So technically 7 modules instead of 8 a year are calculated and averaged. They're not allowing the law module to be let off and I had 9 exams this year to do, the law exam was less than 2 hours before another module which I got a 2:1 in and wasn't far off from a 1st. I went to all the law classes, aswell as the revision class.

Also during the start of my exams I had family problems, where I had to urgently go to the hospital and visit my grandparent as we were told he's about to pass away being critically ill. My uncle told us, our families have split up so it was pretty serious since he had bothered to actually contact us after ages. He acted like he was certain he was about to pass away, even though I was busy with exams, I mailed all my tutors etc and told them the situation and that I would still go to all my exams regardless but they weren't very understanding. (I didn't mention how screwed up my family issues are, wouldn't be able to get any proof.)

Anyways, so I don't know what to do now. Today I had a job interview nearby and the boss was pretty certain to hire me, he just needs 2 days to decide which role to give me: Management, marketing, customer service executive etc. I was surprised he liked me so much and the interview went on to about a 1hr 30mins chitchat, where he was impressed by my CV and having met me. His business franchise is expanding so he is urgently seeking to recruit me, he didn't stress a degree being necessary and they want someone moreso with experience etc. I go to the University of Westminster and there was a current younger manager at the store also, who graduated from London Metropolitan who said a degree isn't everything but he did a similar degree to mine part-time. I explained that I am on a 2:2 having almost finished my degree and just need to do a night class from 6-9pm at my nearby uni and they were fine with it.

Is there any way I can sort this out? If worst comes to worst and the uni fail me based on that module from 2nd year, can I convert all my credits and finish off my degree part-time with the OU or another London University which is similarly ranked? I am thinking of going in to see the uni tomorrow but they upset me a lot.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
N.B: After I got back home from the interview, I found out my results overall and that I have no retakes this year.
Reply 2
/bump
Reply 3
Everyone has problems though and there's no proof. I think the whole uni system is a mess, say in the instance that my grandparent had passed away like my uncle said, I contacted tutors and they said I would need proof (but I wouldn't be able to get hold of that as our families split and my uncle is the type who doesn't tell us grandpa is ill as he stole all grandpa's money and land so is only after that.) I called uni and they said they don't care about how much workload there was or if I had an exam just after law etc and if there was illness then need proof, nor that I am nearly done with my degree. :s-smilie: You can't really fight a case at uni, they don't listen or want to know. Thanks. I had excellent attendance/ punctuality and ability to meet all deadlines. It is unreasonable, my friend who did resit for law in summer got the module leader to give him feedback thoroughly on his exam paper, as to what he did wrong and how to pass but I was told the same would be the case for me by mail, yet got nothing. He passed after. I had to know roughly 50 cases for the exam to do well. I can't see why they can't let me condone/ resit/ retake as night class part time that law module. Since this was 2nd year module and I have no 3rd year retakes. :mad: After all that...
Original post by Anonymous
Everyone has problems though and there's no proof. I think the whole uni system is a mess, say in the instance that my grandparent had passed away like my uncle said, I contacted tutors and they said I would need proof (but I wouldn't be able to get hold of that as our families split and my uncle is the type who doesn't tell us grandpa is ill as he stole all grandpa's money and land so is only after that.) I called uni and they said they don't care about how much workload there was or if I had an exam just after law etc and if there was illness then need proof, nor that I am nearly done with my degree. :s-smilie: You can't really fight a case at uni, they don't listen or want to know. Thanks. I had excellent attendance/ punctuality and ability to meet all deadlines. It is unreasonable, my friend who did resit for law in summer got the module leader to give him feedback thoroughly on his exam paper, as to what he did wrong and how to pass but I was told the same would be the case for me by mail, yet got nothing. He passed after. I had to know roughly 50 cases for the exam to do well. I can't see why they can't let me condone/ resit/ retake as night class part time that law module. Since this was 2nd year module and I have no 3rd year retakes. :mad: After all that...

How come they let you progress to 3rd year if you hadn't completely passed 2nd year?

Maybe you have grounds for legal action there... seeing as they kinda mis-sold you the third year of your course, i.e. let you pay for and work towards something which was to be useless
Reply 5
It is a business law module which the uni made me retake and didn't allow to resit. .

What are you on about?? :confused:

So you have finished your 3rd year? Are you on a 4 year course? I think your problem needs to be a bit clearer.
Reply 6
Original post by Barden
How come they let you progress to 3rd year if you hadn't completely passed 2nd year?

Maybe you have grounds for legal action there... seeing as they kinda mis-sold you the third year of your course, i.e. let you pay for and work towards something which was to be useless

What happened was I got a 2:1 in 1st year. There was an Accounting& Finance core module worth 100% exam, I wasn't allowed to resit an exam for that so I had to retake it in 2nd year. I passed it in 2nd year.

2nd year, I got a 2:2 but couldn't do Management Accounting as they wouldn't let me, seeing as the 1st year accounting module is a pre-requisite to this, so they said I have to do it as a night class after I am done with 3rd year. I did Business Law, they didn't let me resit exam even though coursework was fine, so I had to retake that in 3rd year amongst all my other modules from final year. I have no final year retakes, being in 3rd year. Any retake gets capped, also the whole unit gets capped if only a part of it is resitted. Hardly motivating, when you go to all classes again and resubmit coursework you already did well in, it gets capped to just a pass overall. My 3rd year pretty much is worth the most towards my degree and it was all marketing modules as this was my pathway, 1 psychology module which I did well in and there was a HR module core. I passed the 2 core year 3 modules, one which was business and one which was HR, no retakes. The Management Accounting by the way wouldn't get capped after I do it after the 3rd year modules, since it would be my 1st shot at it.

So now this business law module is holding me back from graduating at all, regardless of everything else. It may've made more sense to make me do it as a night class after 3rd year so it doesn't get in the way. In effect, I actually had to do 10 modules in 3rd year, one module is worth nothing at all towards degree but we just have to pass it in order to be able to graduate, as it is on careers and employability, well I passed it. I can't have a law case, although so many people hate this uni. Our exams compared to other institutions are so crammed together, we start and finish them all in 2 weeks, much before most of my friend's unis are done with them. Yes, I am supposed to be doing an extra year before I graduate, just to do 2nd year Management Accounting module at night which would be my first take of it. Eh, making me go through 3rd year though, if they wanted to kick me out then could've done it earlier, in 2nd year.
Reply 7
I think you actually have a valid point, I didn't completely pass 2nd year. So why make me go through so much hassle, this uni is a headache. After 3rd year, they tell me something from last year is the problem, if anything it should be this year that should have the biggest problem if it makes up the bulk of my degree classification. Law has nothing to do with marketing and they're being too harsh with the exam marking for law and accounting modules, since so many people have issues passing these. I think they personally need to change how the law and accounting modules are assessed, for someone who has never done law, it is hard to just pick up, there should be less weighting on the exam or make it less tough. At the end of the day, I'm not doing a law degree. A lot of people complain about these modules and how they're marked, my friend said she knows a lot of people are appealing for law so I may give it a try but to be honest, not too sure what points to put in.
Reply 8
I did pass 2nd year with a 2:2 but not law and was told management accounting would begin after 3rd year... Hmm, I dunno actually they should just do as I say and be nice. Stop marking so harshly or consider the fact it is an ex-poly and we people need serious help! It is a horrible experience being at the uni and I just want it to be done with so I can graduate with the 2:2. Hmm, now that I think about it ermmm my friend is actually retaking business law and retaking management accounting this year so now that I think of it, how does that make sense? He already did management accounting unlike me and retook it whilst also retaking law. So confusing. I think I can think of a few people in my situation or similar who retook law and accounting, having issues with it.
Reply 9
similar things have happened to me, although not this bad. try not to get yourself down, and email a few module lecturers who might be able to help you out.
Reply 10
Original post by Ano1
similar things have happened to me, although not this bad. try not to get yourself down, and email a few module lecturers who might be able to help you out.

At university, how did you solve it? Ok thanks, I mailed a few tutors who like me and for modules I did well in or responsive tutors. I don't think law/ accounting tutors are best people to speak to as they're most harsh and strict.

Am getting few hours sleep. x
Reply 11
At university, how did you solve it? Ok thanks, I mailed a few tutors who like me and for modules I did well in or responsive tutors. I don't think law/ accounting tutors are best people to speak to as they're most harsh and strict.

Am getting few hours sleep. x

im waiting to hear back tomorrow actually. abit private so i wont go into detail.
just keep arguing your case through email, and someone will help you from uni.
uni teachers that is.. good luck
Reply 12
Original post by Ano1
im waiting to hear back tomorrow actually. abit private so i wont go into detail.
just keep arguing your case through email, and someone will help you from uni.
uni teachers that is.. good luck

I went to uni, spoke to NUS, will try sort it out. To be honest, I think the best thing would be to finish off my degree, just do the remainder 2 year 2 modules so I can graduate elsewhere. Does the Open University or anywhere else in London allow that? The module that was failed, no retake was law. I need to begin the 2nd year accounting module. Is there any way I can do this elsewhere, to finish my degree and transfer all credits?

I got a 2nd job interview tomorrow for the job I went for yesterday, I am going to take it and study part time to finish degree.

Also heard from a job that wants to interview me as a Recruitment Consultant.
Reply 13
I'm considering finishing it off at the OU as I don't think the UoW is a nice place to study and the course mostly sucks, doing two 2nd year modules I actually am wanting to do, part time studying them to finish my degree. Once I get the full time job which my 2nd interview tomorrow is for, I'll mention this and they'll consider it. From what I gather, the OU allow transferred credits and it is cheaper and more flexible.

I contacted the Assistant of the Dean at Middlesex University and may sort something out, the campus is nearby and so is the place where I hopefully get the job at tomorrow.
I'm considering finishing it off at the OU as I don't think the UoW is a nice place to study and the course mostly sucks, doing two 2nd year modules I actually am wanting to do, part time studying them to finish my degree. Once I get the full time job which my 2nd interview tomorrow is for, I'll mention this and they'll consider it. From what I gather, the OU allow transferred credits and it is cheaper and more flexible.

I contacted the Assistant of the Dean at Middlesex University and may sort something out, the campus is nearby and so is the place where I hopefully get the job at tomorrow.

You go to middlesex university.

but dont give up as you paid so much fees and spend 3 years there. Appeal and do whatever you can to get the degree. I wouldn't give up if i was in your situation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by BCS student
You go to middlesex university.

but dont give up as you paid so much fees and spend 3 years there. Appeal and do whatever you can to get the degree. I wouldn't give up if i was in your situation.

Westminster University... I looked into OU and Middlesex but I have too many credits to be transferred which is well above their average. 300 credits including condoned, also 1 module from this 3rd year I passed but they want me to resit the exam which would make it a pass anyway and the same grade overall as a 2:2, since only 7 out of 8 modules a year go towards grade calculation. So although I'm done with 3rd year, to transfer would mean repeating a whole year still.
Reply 16
Original post by Barden

Exactly what I was thinking!

Even if not legal action, I think it's a pretty strong argument that they must have expected you to have a fighting chance of graduating (ie by letting you condone/resit/..
Reply 17
Original post by saajan_92
Exactly what I was thinking!

Even if not legal action, I think it's a pretty strong argument that they must have expected you to have a fighting chance of graduating (ie by letting you condone/resit/..

My GCSE and A level grades are better than most people at my University's but I don't think I am that bright but more than average. I sat some of my GCSEs early and was gifted and talented in Art& Design. My firm uni was actually Queen Mary but I still wasn't happy with that, as when I was younger I was thinking of even better institutions, ended up going through clearing as I didn't get the grades I was predicted of ABB so went to UoW. I don't have money and time for legal action, since I am low income.

One of my tutors said and I know many others would agree to it, that they vividly remember me as a hard working and well focussed student always cheerful and conscientious. I need to speak to whoever is in charge of your matter calmly and present all relevant details and evidence. I need to seek audience immediately and take whatever corrective action is available to me and asap please.

I did contact NUS, aswell as speaking face to face to the office for SU at my uni and mailed lots of people but am waiting to hear back. The major point is that it is too late to kick me out, all they would need to do is let me sit the law module as a night class, now that I completed my 3rd year. It isn't that hard to do this but are persistent not to allow it, then in such a case they should've kicked me out in 2nd year, not right before I am so close to graduating. :s-smilie: It makes me wonder how money hungry these **** universities are, some of the teaching is nonsense and how the course is managed. I am regretting going to University because how they treat students.
Reply 18
Does anyone know if this insinuates that they take anyone on, given an unusual situation, to finish off the remainder of their degree? http://www.uwl.ac.uk/international/how_to_apply/Credit_transfers.jsp
Reply 19
Well, I got the full time job today and passed 2nd interview. A guy there is manager even though he dropped out of a similar degree at London Met where he studied part time and was nearly done graduating there. I told my boss about my situation today once he gave me the job, he encouraged me to finish my degree as a night class as my uni is literally 5mins away from the work and does offer night classes from 6-9pm. I don't necessarily need a degree but he said seeing as I am so close to graduating, I may aswell finish it and it won't disturb my work commitments at all. They really need me and am an asset to them.

However NUS said it sounds like I have a strong case as my uni did let me progress to 3rd year but my uni said no...

Is there anyway I could transfer all my credits to another London uni, just to do 2 year 2 modules so that I can graduate? I looked at almost all the possibilities including OU but most want me to redo the 3rd year, which doesn't make sense considering I've done fine in that year. I rang UWL even and the lady said listen dear, fight your case as they can't just do that if they let you progress then now after all that are being like this, she said that tbh all new uni's are in it just for the money and I can't credit transfer but could redo 3rd year. Then I said, well why does their site have misleading info when I search credit transfer and she said no dear but if you get a job then it maybe worth keeping at it and finish degree after, better yet why don't I just finish my degree since it is so close to graduating at my uni... OU seems to be the most cheapest option but I don't know if it would be for me, the plus side would be being able to work at the same time but would have to redo a whole 3rd year with the possibility of a better grade.

Any advice on where I could transfer all my credits would be helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending