The Student Room Group

UK Medical School International Applicants Discussion Megathread 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by aeneas745
You're more likely to get into Newcastle than Nottingham with a lower UKCAT score

Any reason for your suggestion??
Reply 41
Please everyone vote on the poll above so that we all can have a better idea ! thanks xxx
Reply 42
hello all! i'm from singapore, anyone else? :smile:
Hello all,

I am an international student (American) and I applied and got accepted to Queens Belfast in the 2011 cycle. I'm not an expert on applications in any way but I thought I would offer myself up if yall have any questions, I will answer them if I can.
Reply 44
Original post by The International
Hello all,

I am an international student (American) and I applied and got accepted to Queens Belfast in the 2011 cycle. I'm not an expert on applications in any way but I thought I would offer myself up if yall have any questions, I will answer them if I can.

hey
I am canadian (eh! :biggrin:)
Just a question: what was ur ukcat if you don't mind me asking cuz I am thinking of applying there but want to know if I have a chance. avg=702.5
By the way, where did u apply and get offers from?
Reply 45
Hey Everyone

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if its possible to apply to a medical school in uk after studying a year of science foundation at Kings College ? I would appreciate your replies thanks !
Original post by apple17
hey
I am canadian (eh! :biggrin:)
Just a question: what was ur ukcat if you don't mind me asking cuz I am thinking of applying there but want to know if I have a chance. avg=702.5
By the way, where did u apply and get offers from?

Hey, I don't mind. I got 650, 900, 660, 700, for an average of 727.

I only applied to Queens because I had been there before and I really love it there. I thought it ended up being a good option though because I didn't have to fly there for an interview.
Reply 47
Original post by Metastasis

hello all! i'm from singapore, anyone else? :smile:

Me too. And Ergo lol.
Did you guys take O levels? I went through IP and my grades for sec4 are quite crappy which I'm worried about though it is not reflected in the UCAS except for Language Arts(as English equivalent). What schools are you guys from and where you guys applying to? I'm from tj btw, currently in NS D:
Reply 48
Original post by bgucer
Hey Everyone

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if its possible to apply to a medical school in uk after studying a year of science foundation at Kings College ? I would appreciate your replies thanks !

This thread should help you.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1245817
Reply 49
New here, but this is a really great thread!

Got a ukcat avg of 630 :s-smilie: Currently studying an Australian Year 12 qualification, but I also have O level equivalents from Malaysia. I've emailed most of the unis and some said they would could consider me so I've narrowed it down to Liverpool, KCL and Bristol, still unsure of the last choice though. Bearing in mind my not-so-spectacular ukcat which would be a better choice, Nottingham or Keele or Cardiff?? Am quite keen on PBL :smile:
Reply 50

thanks a lot ! :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by llamelvin

Me too. And Ergo lol.
Did you guys take O levels? I went through IP and my grades for sec4 are quite crappy which I'm worried about though it is not reflected in the UCAS except for Language Arts(as English equivalent). What schools are you guys from and where you guys applying to? I'm from tj btw, currently in NS D:

Hahah that's exciting omg. I'm from Dunman so we are in the exact same predicament? I thought other schools don't have LA HAHA omg unless you were from DHS then you transferred there? I'm applying to Aberdeen, Leicester, Newcastle and Nottingham. You?
Reply 52
Hey, I don't mind. I got 650, 900, 660, 700, for an average of 727.

I only applied to Queens because I had been there before and I really love it there. I thought it ended up being a good option though because I didn't have to fly there for an interview.

Oh awesome average. I don't have such a high average but oh really: So, if I apply there then no interview: just PS. Also, do they have a physics requirement.
Thanks. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53

Hahah that's exciting omg. I'm from Dunman so we are in the exact same predicament? I thought other schools don't have LA HAHA omg unless you were from DHS then you transferred there? I'm applying to Aberdeen, Leicester, Newcastle and Nottingham. You?

I'm from TJC, I'm considering Glasgow, Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield and a few more. But my main concern would be my crappy IP results if they request for it as GCSE equivalents.. Basically I'm looking at the uni's that do interviews in Singapore/Malaysia due to NS... I was thinking of Cambridge but then my IP results were a put-off plus the 20 Sept dateline for Singapore interviews which is just too rushed for me.
Original post by apple17
Oh awesome average. I don't have such a high average but oh really: So, if I apply there then no interview: just PS. Also, do they have a physics requirement.
Thanks. :smile:

I think that 702 is still pretty good. I know several locals who got in with lower scores, but I don't know about other internationals. I think the interview in Malaysia, but they didn't make me come for a visit and interview like many of the other schools do (they might change this; I don't know.) I think generally for international students they want chem for sure, and then one from bio, maths or physics.
Reply 55
I think that 702 is still pretty good. I know several locals who got in with lower scores, but I don't know about other internationals. I think the interview in Malaysia, but they didn't make me come for a visit and interview like many of the other schools do (they might change this; I don't know.) I think generally for international students they want chem for sure, and then one from bio, maths or physics.

Oh nice. :smile:
I was reading their UKCAT policy and they basically just give you points for being above avg on each individual section. I will call them up on Monday and confirm cuz I am conflicted between belfast/cambridge
Reply 56
Hi,

Does anyone know if universities use the same cut off score of UKCAT for undergraduate international places?

Also i have tried narrow down my university choices, but what are the main universities that you think i should consider in the list below (esp i have a meh ukcat socre)? (I have also only narrowed it down to the ones that i can possibly get in, no aspirational choices)

On a side note, do a lot of universities need proof of work experience? As i know a few want that but not work ex. in elderly home :\ I have done job shadowing in A&E, elderly home, crossroads organisation, unicef.

GCSEs:
1A*
7A
1C

AS LEVELS:
A Chemsitry
A Biology
A Math
B Economics

(predicted AAA)

UKCAT:

Thinking of universities along the lines of:
Aberdeen
Brighton
Bristol
Durham/Newcastle
UEA
Hull York
Keele
Leeds
Leicester
Nottingham
Queen's Belfast
Liverpool (Lancaster)
Southampton
St. George's

Can you give me advice on which ones I should not bother considering from my list? :\
(im very worried at the moment :frown:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57

I'm from TJC, I'm considering Glasgow, Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield and a few more. But my main concern would be my crappy IP results if they request for it as GCSE equivalents.. Basically I'm looking at the uni's that do interviews in Singapore/Malaysia due to NS... I was thinking of Cambridge but then my IP results were a put-off plus the 20 Sept dateline for Singapore interviews which is just too rushed for me.

I hope not too. Do we have to email the individual unis to check whether they would need our IP results or would they only ask us if they require it? I'm scared I get rejected by Nottingham because of that because I really love that school (sort of my first choice) but they require I think 5-6 As for GCSEs.
Reply 58
Original post by franynli
x

I've moved your question to this thread so people more qualified can answer. :smile:
Original post by Ergo
How are you guys planning to finance your UK medical degree? It is likely that my parents will help fund the degree but I feel kind of guilty imposing such a huge financial burden on them :s-smilie:

Work hard and pay them back the minute you graduate. :smile: On another note, maybe get a loan from the bank? Have you tried applying for scholarships as I know some schools offer them to international students. But yeah I agree, the fees are ridiculously expensive, but being able to study medicine is a great opportunity. If it makes you feel better, it's cheaper to study in the UK than it is to study in the USA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending