The Student Room Group

Self-teaching German/French

Utter newbie to the languages forum, so 'hi!'

Anyway, I'm looking to teach myself languages, mainly for the lulz and also because I was a stubborn git when I was year 9 and entirely refused to do a GCSE in a language. I've got no immediate plans to get a qualification in any language, I'm just doing it for the fun of it.

I've decided to start with fairly 'common' languages (as opposed to something that not many people speak) and was wondering how anyone around here went about teaching themselves new languages - assuming there's at least a few people here who will have done so :smile: I've had a few goes in the past with books etc. but not get particularly far - so any tips anyone has would be welcomed :smile:

Cheers.
Original post by -G-a-v-
Utter newbie to the languages forum, so 'hi!'

Anyway, I'm looking to teach myself languages, mainly for the lulz and also because I was a stubborn git when I was year 9 and entirely refused to do a GCSE in a language. I've got no immediate plans to get a qualification in any language, I'm just doing it for the fun of it.

I've decided to start with fairly 'common' languages (as opposed to something that not many people speak) and was wondering how anyone around here went about teaching themselves new languages - assuming there's at least a few people here who will have done so :smile: I've had a few goes in the past with books etc. but not get particularly far - so any tips anyone has would be welcomed :smile:

Cheers.

I self-studied language, however without the tangible qualification, you will never have a direct goal or tangible evidence.

I would direct you immediately to study A-Level or if you want IGCSE or GCSE in Language then if your passionate you can study beyond or self-study beyond this but at least you will have a qualification in this.

Generally, when you have language, it is commonly measured according to Fluency, Native, Intermediate, etcetera, you need proof you speak the language.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply