The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sasha165
so confused :/ don't know whether to make my choices based on the league table or employment opportunities or how much i love the course :s-smilie: help?!

Personally, I would go with love the course, employment opportunities, league table. However i'm sure other people will be able to give you some much better advice, but in the end its entirely up to you.
so confused :/ don't know whether to make my choices based on the league table or employment opportunities or how much i love the course :s-smilie: help?!

Order of importance to me is firstly the course, it is 3/4 years of your life, it needs to be interesting and fun to you. Second league table, uni wise and course wise, also the importance of the uni, do you like it? (visit if possible, or get in contact with people that go there) then employment opportunities, because the way I see it after you have done law, there is still your masters you can take, there are so many directions you can go to. However do look at internships and ties they have, so you can get workexperience.
But then also just take your time, make pro's and cons lists and let it sink in. I know how it feels. Out of interest what universities does it concern??
Good Luck
Reply 3542
Original post by sarah peacehope
Order of importance to me is firstly the course, it is 3/4 years of your life, it needs to be interesting and fun to you. Second league table, uni wise and course wise, also the importance of the uni, do you like it? (visit if possible, or get in contact with people that go there) then employment opportunities, because the way I see it after you have done law, there is still your masters you can take, there are so many directions you can go to. However do look at internships and ties they have, so you can get workexperience.
But then also just take your time, make pro's and cons lists and let it sink in. I know how it feels. Out of interest what universities does it concern??
Good Luck

Hi thanks, it's between Sussex, Reading and Manchester

I don't know much about those uni's, maybe things to consider as well is city and try to imagine the life you will be having, and what you eventually wish to do with your bachelor
Original post by jackclarke1995
Would anyone be able to tell me roughly how many unis require a 4th AS for the LLB? Is it the majority? Kinda worried now that i'm only doing 3, but I am predicted AAB for them. Obviously I don't really need to worry about it for a few months, but it would be nice to be prepared!

I would be surprised if anyone was particularly fussed, seeing as they are asking for an 'e' in it (some of them) I mean with an E you may as well not sit it with respect to Law Schools (that's probably going to get negged)

You'll be okay as long as you get good grades in the three A2 and they are decent subjects. Incidentally, you could always pick up an AS in you A2 year, but that might detract from efforts to get good A2 grades. I think you'll be alright at most places without it, and if they moan, well then balls to them!
Original post by mathsmusicfrench
I would be surprised if anyone was particularly fussed, seeing as they are asking for an 'e' in it (some of them) I mean with an E you may as well not sit it with respect to Law Schools (that's probably going to get negged)

You'll be okay as long as you get good grades in the three A2 and they are decent subjects. Incidentally, you could always pick up an AS in you A2 year, but that might detract from efforts to get good A2 grades. I think you'll be alright at most places without it, and if they moan, well then balls to them!

I think when the schools ask you to get an E in a fourth AS, then obviously the grade they aren't worried about. Perhaps they want to see their applicants with a more than average (3 AS levels) workload and want to you still achieve those 3 As with that extra workload.
The wait is killing me T_T...

Do you guys think the next batch of offers are going to come before easter???
Reply 3547
Original post by jointmeat
The wait is killing me T_T...

Do you guys think the next batch of offers are going to come before easter???

I hope so... and if not, hopefully before Orthodox Easter.:wink:

I need that Queen Mary offer/rejection so I can move on with my life... I'm at a stand-still!
Original post by MDS3
I hope so... and if not, hopefully before Orthodox Easter.:wink:

I need that Queen Mary offer/rejection so I can move on with my life... I'm at a stand-still!

Me too..In my case, SOAS. What's keeping up these London Unis?
Reply 3549

I had quite the same problem as you, it was between. Kent, Nottingham and Manchester and I decided to accept Manchester. I made lots of research (about the teachers there-so many nobel winners!;course structure;time table;student life(best ever),clubs(SKUM-pro snowboarding/skiing club!);work placements;every year there are 30 students chosen to go to malaysia and 20 to singapore for a work placement of 2 weeks during the summer break;uni of manchester has so many important manchester firms looking out for its law graduates(not only graduates but actually undergrad students as well); and on top of it all, I have family living near so I'm getting free acc.

I loved the professor, the program structure and calm aspect of the uni of kent but it is just too calm for me :x

And oh Nottingham, real campus life, but the program structure didn't seem to be right and no free accomodation but on top of it all, they seemed to be too elistic for me, taking days and days to reply to my mails (Bristol took WEEKS), and well I don't know, it didn't look like I would settle nicely there.

I've been to manchester 3 times (I am an international student) and loved it, and know a few people going there(unlike nottingham), I loved the city life, and that just concluded my essay xD
Where are all the LSE applicants...does anybody know how long the visit lasts?!

lol negged.. really?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3551
Original post by Tsunami2011

The bulk of it ends at 12.15 (when the Law taster lecture ends). You can do the accommodation tours or self-guided tour up until 3.

Check this out: http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/InformationforOfferHolders/Visit%20Day%20Morning.pdf

See you there :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ratio
The bulk of it ends at 12.15 (when the Law taster lecture ends). You can do the accommodation tours or self-guided tour up until 3.

Check this out: http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/InformationforOfferHolders/Visit%20Day%20Morning.pdf

See you there :smile:

Thanks! Hopefully, its a good one!
Reply 3553

lol negged.. really?

People neg posts for the dumbest reasons. Sometimes I can only assume they clicked the button by accident.
Original post by ratio
x

What did you make of the visit? :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3555

How was it? I'm betting you'll firm it as I've predicted all along :tongue:
Still waiting for QMUL.. :frown:
This means that I need to wait until the end of Easter holidays?
Reply 3557

It only served to confuse me further as to my choice! I really liked the opening guy, not so much the others. I also liked the law lecture and I know that this is definitely the right thing for me to be studying (I knew that from my interview but this reaffirmed that). I think LSE is a wonderful place, even if the Student Rep wasn't the best advocate. Their alumni roster is really impressive and even hearing about the research the profs were doing and how it translated into their teaching interests was neat. The support you get with accommodation and otherwise seems more than at other schools too. And I live in London so I already go to the Public Lectures and I know they get phenomenal speakers. That's really one of the best parts for me: leaders in their fields everyday of the week giving a talk that you can go to whenever the topic piques your interests.

Only downside I found was that the campus is less inspiring than others I've been to, but, perhaps the new Student Center will make up for it.

What did you think? (I hope you weren't the obnoxious guy who kept trying to talk like he was an expert on Mill and the harm principle. I was thinking why are you here to consider LSE if you think you know everything? If it was you, you can defend yourself :tongue:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3558
Firmed Bristol - rejected my Queen Mary offer! Hope someone else gets it whose been waiting :biggrin:
Original post by ratio
It only served to confuse me further as to my choice! I really liked the opening guy, not so much the others. I also liked the law lecture and I know that this is definitely the right thing for me to be studying (I knew that from my interview but this reaffirmed that). I think LSE is a wonderful place, even if the Student Rep wasn't the best advocate. Their alumni roster is really impressive and even hearing about the research the profs were doing and how it translated into their teaching interests was neat. The support you get with accommodation and otherwise seems more than at other schools too. And I live in London so I already go to the Public Lectures and I know they get phenomenal speakers. That's really one of the best parts for me: leaders in their fields everyday of the week giving a talk that you can go to whenever the topic piques your interests.

Only downside I found was that the campus is less inspiring than others I've been to, but, perhaps the new Student Center will make up for it.

What did you think? (I hope you weren't the obnoxious guy who kept trying to talk like he was an expert on Mill and the harm principle. I was thinking why are you here to consider LSE if you think you know everything? If it was you, you can defend yourself :tongue:)

Stalked your posts and saw that you have a Cambridge offer, you lucky sod! no wonder you're confused:biggrin: I thought it was good, slightly underwhelming though, but on the whole it was ok, but already living in London, makes it unattractive to me.

Original post by Bea492
How was it? I'm betting you'll firm it as I've predicted all along :tongue:

haha not as good as Warwick! but better than anticpated. I think I'm going for Warwick, can't see myself getting an A* anyway:s-smilie: That's what six months of skiving lessons does to you!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest