The Student Room Group

What A-levels to take to do denisitry?

I'm just about to choose my a levels and i want to study dentistry at uni, what are the best a levels to take?
I'm defiantly going to take chemistry, biology
but I don’t know what to choose for my other 2?
maybe Philosophy, business? but would love to hear other peoples recommendation! :biggrin:
thank you! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maths and English would be a good addition to those two.
Original post by StanKing
Maths and English would be a good addition to those two.

Why?

Neither are compulsory nor will they put the OP at an advantage.
Reply 3
Chemistry, maths physics and Biology....physics not really neccessary
Original post by AARebecca
I'm just about to choose my a levels and i want to study dentistry at uni, what are the best a levels to take?
maybe Philosophy, business? but would love to hear other peoples recommendation! :biggrin:

Choose any subject you enjoy. The important thing is to have Chemistry and Biology as 2 of the subjects.

If you want to do Philosophy and Business then go for it! I think Economics would also be an interesting one.
Original post by Tunechi
Chemistry, maths physics and Biology....physics not really neccessary

Maths and Physics are not necessary. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by AARebecca

I'd take Maths, just because it's a respectable A-Level and it *may* complement the science subjects.

As for the other remaining slot, do whatever you want/enjoy.
My cousin is doing Dentistry at king's. For her A-level she did Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French.
Reply 8
Original post by grad_dentist
Why?

Neither are compulsory nor will they put the OP at an advantage.

Maths is not compulsory, but as soon as a university see's that u can problem solve they will accept you, plus its better then say geography for dentistry. The top Medicine schools will want a subject like maths
Reply 9
Original post by Tunechi
Maths is not compulsory, but as soon as a university see's that u can problem solve they will accept you, plus its better then say geography for dentistry. The top Medicine schools will want a subject like maths

Dentistry.
Original post by Tunechi

This isn't the Medicine section, it's the Dentistry forum. Any dental school will say they aren't bothered about your 3rd subject as long as it isn't General Studies (athough Sheffield appear to accept GS as the 3rd subject at the moment).

Please get your facts right before you start posting on here trying to offer advice to prospective students.

And no, dental schools will not pick someone who has done Maths over someone who has done Geography, they literally don't care about the specifics of the 3rd subject. :lol: at the bit in bold ... :lolwut: Surely you can demonstrate problem solving through Chemistry; is problem solving even a skill that your have to demonstrate on the PS? I don't think so. They're focused on your leadership, teamwork, interpersonal and communication skills.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
This isn't the Medicine section, it's the Dentistry forum. Any dental school will say they aren't bothered about your 3rd subject as long as it isn't General Studies (athough Sheffield appear to accept GS as the 3rd subject at the moment).

Please get your facts right before you start posting on here trying to offer advice to prospective students.

And no, dental schools will not pick someone who has done Maths over someone who has done Geography, they literally don't care about the specifics of the 3rd subject. :lol: at the bit in bold ... :lolwut: Surely you can demonstrate problem solving through Chemistry; is problem solving even a skill that your have to demonstrate on the PS? I don't think so. They're focused on your leadership, teamwork, interpersonal and communication skills.

I'm pretty sure you'd have an advantage as someone who's done Maths over someone who's done other 'easier' subjects because it demonstrates quite a few essential qualities such as being committed to something difficult - which is what Dentistry is. However if you do maths, get a B/C then that also isn't good.

But like you said, at the end of the day - its more about why that has helped you in your Personal Statement. Also, whatever you choose, make sure you can get an A in it, at AS and then A2 too. :biggrin:

Good luck!
Reply 12
Trust me A level maths is probably the most important subject to do. Look at most entry requirements at top unis.

Business degrees do not want business studies or accounts at A level, they want maths.
Engineering degrees want maths.
Science degrees want maths.
Architecture wants maths.
Economics wants maths.
Medicine and Dentistry will distinguish their students by this.

Plus If you do decide to change your mind about Dentistry, look at the other fields you will get into.

Almost all the other subjects that do not want Maths at A level require it at O level.
Original post by Tunechi
Trust me A level maths is probably the most important subject to do. Look at most entry requirements at top unis.

Business degrees do not want business studies or accounts at A level, they want maths.
Engineering degrees want maths.
Science degrees want maths.
Architecture wants maths.
Economics wants maths.
Medicine and Dentistry will distinguish their students by this.

Plus If you do decide to change your mind about Dentistry, look at the other fields you will get into.

Almost all the other subjects that do not want Maths at A level require it at O level.

There is no top dental school, they all want AAA (except Glasgow AAB) and there are only 13 in the UK.
Reply 14
There is no top dental school, they all want AAA (except Glasgow AAB) and there are only 13 in the UK.

I was not really talking about dentistry specifically in my first line I was promoting the study of Mathematics at A Level. lol nerdy I know
Reply 15
Original post by Tunechi
I was not really talking about dentistry specifically in my first line I was promoting the study of Mathematics at A Level. lol nerdy I know

That's exactly right, Maths is where its at :biggrin: :rolleyes:
Taken from the websites

Birmingham: Applicants must have Chemistry and Biology A level, both at grade A (the third A level must also be at grade A) and an AS level at grade B/A these must be obtained at one sitting; Human Biology may be offered, but not in addition to Biology.

Sheffield: At Sheffield we do not give preference to any particular subject for this third A-level choice. Similarly preference is not given to applicants who are taking 4 A-levels or additional AS levels.

Leeds: The third A-level may be any subject excluding General Studies or Critical Thinking. Those taking a fourth A2 subject will not have an advantage over those taking three.

Manchester: Grades AAA. This must include Chemistry, Biology and a third A level at grade A plus one further AS level at grade B or above.

King's: Chemistry and Biology, at least one at A-level, the other must be at AS level. If A-level Maths is offered, Further Maths is acceptable at AS-level only. GCSE requirement: at least grade B at English Language and Maths, if not offered at A/AS-level.

Bristol: to include A grades in both Chemistry and one other lab-based science. Grade A Biology at AS if not taken to A-level (Biology is the preferred second subject at A-level).

Liverpool: A level Chemistry and Biology. The third subject may be anything other than General Studies or Critical Thinking.

Newcastle: AAA including Chemistry and Biology. General Studies, Critical Thinking and a foreign language which is the applicant's first language are not accepted.

Dundee: Biology and a science (Chemistry, Maths or Physics) at A-level.

Glasgow: Must have A-level Biology and Chemistry (both at Grade A).General Studies is not acceptable as a third subject at A-level.

Barts: Chemistry and Biology at AS level, at least one at A-level. If both subjects not taken to A-level, a second science A-level is required. If you are planning to drop either Chemistry or Biology before A2, you must attain a B grade in that subject at AS level. If A-level Maths is offered, Further Maths is acceptable at AS-level only. General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted subjects at AS and A-level.

Cardiff: Our current entry requirements are AAA grades to be achieved from three A-Levels with A grades in Chemistry and Biology.

We do not give preference to an applicant whose third A-Level is in a Science subject.

Queen's Belfast: Three A-levels are required to include GCE Chemistry + at least one from Biology, Physics and Maths. A maximum of one VCE/Applied subject at either A-level or AS-level (not both) will be counted. If Biology is not offered at GCE A-level, it is required at GCE AS grade B or better. Mathematics and Further Mathematics cannot be counted together at A-level but one may be counted at A-level and the other at AS-level.

Pretty much all the dental schools do not give preference to a 3rd science subject at Alevel.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tunechi

This isnt true, love your username though
Reply 18
Taken from the websites

Birmingham: Applicants must have Chemistry and Biology A level, both at grade A (the third A level must also be at grade A) and an AS level at grade B/A these must be obtained at one sitting; Human Biology may be offered, but not in addition to Biology.

Sheffield: At Sheffield we do not give preference to any particular subject for this third A-level choice. Similarly preference is not given to applicants who are taking 4 A-levels or additional AS levels.

Leeds: The third A-level may be any subject excluding General Studies or Critical Thinking. Those taking a fourth A2 subject will not have an advantage over those taking three.

Manchester: Grades AAA. This must include Chemistry, Biology and a third A level at grade A plus one further AS level at grade B or above.

King's: Chemistry and Biology, at least one at A-level, the other must be at AS level. If A-level Maths is offered, Further Maths is acceptable at AS-level only. GCSE requirement: at least grade B at English Language and Maths, if not offered at A/AS-level.

Bristol: to include A grades in both Chemistry and one other lab-based science. Grade A Biology at AS if not taken to A-level (Biology is the preferred second subject at A-level).

Liverpool: A level Chemistry and Biology. The third subject may be anything other than General Studies or Critical Thinking.

Newcastle: AAA including Chemistry and Biology. General Studies, Critical Thinking and a foreign language which is the applicant's first language are not accepted.

Dundee: Biology and a science (Chemistry, Maths or Physics) at A-level.

Glasgow: Must have A-level Biology and Chemistry (both at Grade A).General Studies is not acceptable as a third subject at A-level.

Barts: Chemistry and Biology at AS level, at least one at A-level. If both subjects not taken to A-level, a second science A-level is required. If you are planning to drop either Chemistry or Biology before A2, you must attain a B grade in that subject at AS level. If A-level Maths is offered, Further Maths is acceptable at AS-level only. General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted subjects at AS and A-level.

Cardiff: Our current entry requirements are AAA grades to be achieved from three A-Levels with A grades in Chemistry and Biology.

We do not give preference to an applicant whose third A-Level is in a Science subject.

Queen's Belfast: Three A-levels are required to include GCE Chemistry + at least one from Biology, Physics and Maths. A maximum of one VCE/Applied subject at either A-level or AS-level (not both) will be counted. If Biology is not offered at GCE A-level, it is required at GCE AS grade B or better. Mathematics and Further Mathematics cannot be counted together at A-level but one may be counted at A-level and the other at AS-level.

Pretty much all the dental schools do not give preference to a 3rd science subject at Alevel.

Thank you for that, and yes u are right about maths not being compulsory. I would just recommend maths to the OP because of all the reasons I gave about if he wanted to change his degree choice and so on, and that I think the universities prefer as a subject. If you dont want to recommend maths then what subject is better for dentistry?
Reply 19
Original post by Patchey1000
This isnt true, love your username though

I want to edit my point, "Universities would want a subject like maths."
And make it "universities would prefer a subject like maths"

Think about it, go through every single subject besides bio chem and physics and try to find a better subject then maths for dentistry. lol thanks

Quick Reply

Latest