The Student Room Group

Need help on my a-level choices :(

I have a really broad range of interests which are: Biology, Chemistry, History, Maths, Sociology, Psychology, R.E, Slight interest in Politics and current affairs.. I love writing.. thinking, learning new things. And im not very sure about what I want to do at university, although im hoping to go to a russel group uni and study - medicine, law, or a course such as PPE.
Can anyone help me with my A-Level choices please? :confused::frown:
Reply 1
Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History would allow you to apply for Medicine, Law (at a Russell Group university) and PPE. I don't know enough about Sociology, Psychology and RE to comment - I'm sure others will be able to help! Politics is fairly well respected, but you'll have to check specific entry requirements.
Biology Chemistry History and Maths sounds good for all 3 of those courses, although many unis will ask for A Level English Lit for Law OR two AAs at GCSE :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you both ^^, so do you think I should scrap Sociology, Psychology, R.E as a fourth subject and choose History? - I have never done it but i think Sociology is real interesting! Also, does anyone have any info on History- how hard is it to get an A ?
Reply 4
you don't necessarily need history or english lit, most unis don't require anything for law just as long as you do well in your subjects, i would recommend chemistry, biology and two others from maths, sociology, economics, english lit or history if you like it so much.
Reply 5
Hey, (just so you know I'm currently doing biology, chemistry and psychology, I did sociology at AS)
I'd say scrap R.E, do biology and chemistry if you're definitely interested in them and then pick one or two of history, psychology or sociology depending on how much you like writing essays, if you only want 1 essay subject pick maths as the other
Reply 6
Original post by gina3706
Hey, (just so you know I'm currently doing biology, chemistry and psychology, I did sociology at AS)
I'd say scrap R.E, do biology and chemistry if you're definitely interested in them and then pick one or two of history, psychology or sociology depending on how much you like writing essays, if you only want 1 essay subject pick maths as the other

Thanks, what are you looking to do at Uni?
Reply 7
Original post by theworld
Thanks, what are you looking to do at Uni?

medicine (if i can get three A's that is lol)
Reply 8
medicine (if i can get three A's that is lol)

Good luck with that!! How did you do in AS? & which uni's accept your a-level combination? (considering its without Maths)
Reply 9
RE is great for both as you study things like euthanasia, good for both medicine and law, okay for PPE.
Reply 10
Good luck with that!! How did you do in AS? & which uni's accept your a-level combination? (considering its without Maths)

no medical schools apart from a few Oxbridge colleges and imperial state that they need maths, usually it's at least chemistry and probably biology, some say they want biology, chemistry and a contrasting subject.
Kind of messed up my AS and got AABD (b in biology, d in chemistry) but in January resits pulled them both up :smile:
Reply 11
I would suggest taking Biology, Chemistry, History and Maths :smile:
Reply 12
no medical schools apart from a few Oxbridge colleges and imperial state that they need maths, usually it's at least chemistry and probably biology, some say they want biology, chemistry and a contrasting subject.
Kind of messed up my AS and got AABD (b in biology, d in chemistry) but in January resits pulled them both up :smile:

Oh - well done! :smile: so i take it you won't be applying to any Oxbridge/imperial colleges? where have you applyed? have you got any offers?
Reply 13
Oh - well done! :smile: so i take it you won't be applying to any Oxbridge/imperial colleges? where have you applyed? have you got any offers?

no lol, I've got an offer from Liverpool that I've firmed :smile:
Reply 14
Maths, Further Maths and Chemisty. good2go
Reply 15
no lol, I've got an offer from Liverpool that I've firmed :smile:

Lol congrats!

Quick Reply

Latest