The Student Room Group

Queens University Belfast Medicine Apps 2012 :D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
will ppl please post if they choose another uni over queens. i was so close from the cut off (10 places). i am counting down the 103 places. its my last chance and wud be a miracle if i got a place.
Original post by Ber
Yeah that sounds crazy.. Well I hope you'll hear from Queen's soon :redface:

Hope u can get an offer from Bristol as well:smile:
Reply 762
For anyone in the know, what are the SSCs like at Queen's?
Original post by stanman
For anyone in the know, what are the SSCs like at Queen's?

I can only tell you about SSCs in first year, as I'm a first year. There are 17 to choose from, you rank them from 1 to 17 and then through a sort of lottery system thing they allocate you the one highest on your list that is still available. As far as content goes there is a wide variety. I am doing the Aging Eye, which is interesting at times but can also be very boring. Generally I think the first year ones are not great; I've heard they get better in later years.
Original post by TheQuestion
just a reminder to all who havent joined....theres a queens offer facebook page :smile:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/369115183129133/

My friend has been trying to join this group for about 2 weeks now but has not been successful. Whoever the admin is, is not doing a very good job:confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Still haven't been added to the group
Reply 767
Original post by orie2261
Yeah, I agree. The cut off last year was 38 for Medicine and 30 for Dentistry (they told people this at the open day a couple of weeks ago).

It's hard to predict this years cut-off as it's the top 500 so who knows what the applicants this year will be like and where the average will be.

Though, in saying that if 500 people are interviewed and there's 262 places available the odds for getting an offer seem pretty likely :-D

The MMI system is testing though, moreso than the typical panel interviews that you can rehearse for. As the interviews will have patients, it's really interactive and there's really no way to prepare for it. So, make sure you brush up on your communication skills (QUB love them). For example, dealing with ethical problems given to you, or talking to the 'patients' about a specific problem.

Graduates and gap year people tend to do better at MMI but I think that's just down to having more life experience(?). So exciting for those applying! Nearly UCAS time!

The site says "The course has an intake of approximately 280 students". http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/mdbs/medicine/AboutUs/
Reply 768
I'm studying for my GCSEs at the minute and was just wondering what kind of grades I needed for medicine at Queen's? :smile:
Original post by Amy_789
I'm studying for my GCSEs at the minute and was just wondering what kind of grades I needed for medicine at Queen's? :smile:

When I was applying (3 years ago) it was about 7A*s and 2As. I think the application process has changed over the last few years though, and GCSE's may be less important now
Reply 770
Original post by It could be lupus
When I was applying (3 years ago) it was about 7A*s and 2As. I think the application process has changed over the last few years though, and GCSE's may be less important now

Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 771
Original post by Amy_789

If you want to apply to Queen's while you're doing your A levels then you need to have pretty good GCSEs (7ish A*s) and a decent UKCAT to have a chance at an interview. Other universities have lower requirements. However, I applied after I had done my A Levels. It's much easier as the current system at Queen's means that you're much more likely to get an interview if you already have your A Levels. Check the site out: http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/StudyatQueens/CourseFinder/UCF2013-14/?y=1314&id=A1&rp=az

However, things might change by the time you apply. The fees should still be lower for you though.

Don't be put off by bad marks or what others tell you. Don't forget about the non-academic stuff too. Work hard, even if you don't get offers the first time round, and it will pay off. Good luck with your GCSEs
Reply 772
Original post by stanman
If you want to apply to Queen's while you're doing your A levels then you need to have pretty good GCSEs (7ish A*s) and a decent UKCAT to have a chance at an interview. Other universities have lower requirements. However, I applied after I had done my A Levels. It's much easier as the current system at Queen's means that you're much more likely to get an interview if you already have your A Levels. Check the site out: http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/StudyatQueens/CourseFinder/UCF2013-14/?y=1314&id=A1&rp=az

However, things might change by the time you apply. The fees should still be lower for you though.

Don't be put off by bad marks or what others tell you. Don't forget about the non-academic stuff too. Work hard, even if you don't get offers the first time round, and it will pay off. Good luck with your GCSEs

Thank you soo much...that's really helpful :smile:
Guys, does anyone know the email I can get post-interview feedback? Thanks
Reply 774
Original post by Annie2129
Guys, does anyone know the email I can get post-interview feedback? Thanks

[email protected]

Thanks) I wrote to that email a month ago but nobody replied :confused:
I'll try again)
Hi Guys,

Did anyone of you guys apply with 3A*s at GCSEs and got an interview?
I'd love to go to Queen's but Im unsure to whether Id meet the entry requirements

Cheers
Further to an earlier answer about SSC. They do vary a lot in terms of content and assessment (any SSC is hard to fail really). The first SSC is a random allocation but if you get a low choice the first time it helps you in the next round.

Most modules have an essay component of some sort and an oral presentation, some have weekly tests. Other modules in second year are medics in primary schools, sign language, child protection, doctors and drug reps, exercise and applied physiology. I found some aspects of the modules ok and even if you want to get away from medicine type topics the science ones do help in other modules eg i gained info on biologic drugs and neuroendocrine tumours in the peptide module that helped me with PODT in 2nd year. The modules can be a pain as they will be the main source of coursework each semester, whereas the core curriculum may have just one oral presentation per module. Third year will offer more clinical based SSCs and instead of running the full term they just run all september and all janurary.

Good luck with getting in, its the hardest part and from then on everyone in your year will be in the same boat.
Reply 778
congrats to everyone:smile: i'm applying for 2013 entry as a graduate...not sure of my chances tho. even with 10* at gcse, AAAb at alevel and a 2:1 in pharmacy it still doesn't really stack up compared to a lot who get in...can but try!
Original post by crisper88
congrats to everyone:smile: i'm applying for 2013 entry as a graduate...not sure of my chances tho. even with 10* at gcse, AAAb at alevel and a 2:1 in pharmacy it still doesn't really stack up compared to a lot who get in...can but try!

Good luck! You have fab grades from school, but obviously as a graduate your GCSEs won't be taken into consideration. Your A-Levels and 2.1, along with a solid UKCAT score should get you an interview no problem. As a pharmacist who successfully applied this year, I've found that pharmacy helped a lot when writing my personal statement/preparing for interview. You should be fine :-)

Good luck!

Quick Reply