The Student Room Group

Info 1. AQA ICT 25th May.

Hey guys,
Is anyone doing Info 1 on 25th May. (AQA)
I'm actually an A2 student but re-sitting info 1.

(i hope i'm not the only one! scary stuff* lol)

Yeah, basically i'm really not understanding the point of this exam. How do you revise for it? like seriously? Past papers doesn't help because it's the most random thing that appears every year.

So, if anyone would like to enlighten me on how they revise for this exam, or any strategy to tackle the questions, ( My sample work is pretty decent but how the heck did i manage a D in the exam?!)

Also, if anyone who has done this exam previously and got above a B, please share how you achieved that?! :cool:

Thank you all in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yeah i am also doing this exam, but no idea how to go revising for it..
Reply 2
i'm doing this exam- resitting it too, as i got a B in it last year and need an A. I have the Nelson Thornes AQA ICT textbook and have just read through it over and over again. Then i'm learning any key terms and doing the end of topic questions included in the book.
I agree the past paper questions are useless! With AQA anything really could come up on the exam but hoping most of it will be taken straight from the spec.
Reply 3
Anyone got any tips for the essay style questions?
Original post by JOftw
Anyone got any tips for the essay style questions?

I used to really struggle with the essay style questions, but after having spent quite a while on it with my teacher, there are really three main things to keep in mind (this can also apply with every question). These may seem really basic, but it's literally all you need to do:

1) Answer the question. Take the time to understand what the question is asking you as opposed to diving head first into it. It's better to take the extra time to answer the question as opposed to not answering the question at all!

2) Keep it in context. Especially for the essay question, there will be a context. Remember to refer to what your scenario actually is and not to include anything that doesn't relate to the context. For example, don't talk about the employer offering ergonomically designed keyboards/mice if the question is asking about Health and Safety for someone who uses the computer at home on a daily basis.

3) Keep it specific. Vague sweeping statements will cost you heavily, so make sure your answers are specific. Show the examiner you know what you're on about.
Reply 5
2 days to go and i'm really struggling to revise for this and info 2!

Most exam's I just read-and read-and read agin revision guides but there dosen't appear to be one for AQA ICT! I hate doing past paper's as I believe for the amount of time they take to do and mark for the amount of content you cover is not worth it. I.E reading a whole revision guide so covering the whole course take's me about an hour and a half. Past paper you cover half the content in the same amount of time! arggghhh
Original post by wastry
2 days to go and i'm really struggling to revise for this and info 2!

Most exam's I just read-and read-and read agin revision guides but there dosen't appear to be one for AQA ICT! I hate doing past paper's as I believe for the amount of time they take to do and mark for the amount of content you cover is not worth it. I.E reading a whole revision guide so covering the whole course take's me about an hour and a half. Past paper you cover half the content in the same amount of time! arggghhh

Past Papers, whilst arguably inefficient for ICT, are one of the best ways to test your knowledge though. Their main strength is the fact that you know whether you're correct or not.

If you just read revision guides, you can fool yourself into thinking that you know something when in reality, you don't. If you really do believe that Past Papers are bad, then you should try writing down what you know for each sub-section of the topics, and then check that you really do know your stuff!
Reply 7
Original post by Winney5
I used to really struggle with the essay style questions, but after having spent quite a while on it with my teacher, there are really three main things to keep in mind (this can also apply with every question). These may seem really basic, but it's literally all you need to do:

1) Answer the question. Take the time to understand what the question is asking you as opposed to diving head first into it. It's better to take the extra time to answer the question as opposed to not answering the question at all!

2) Keep it in context. Especially for the essay question, there will be a context. Remember to refer to what your scenario actually is and not to include anything that doesn't relate to the context. For example, don't talk about the employer offering ergonomically designed keyboards/mice if the question is asking about Health and Safety for someone who uses the computer at home on a daily basis.

3) Keep it specific. Vague sweeping statements will cost you heavily, so make sure your answers are specific. Show the examiner you know what you're on about.

Woah thanks for the help. BTW what did you get for Info 1?
Reply 8
Did anyone else choose two problems? Or just one?
My teacher made our class;
- firstly pretend our client asked us for a website or powerpoint, but not actually make it, just do client requirements and input, process and outputs.
- And then design a spreadsheet with an invoice.
Reply 9
Original post by Gemma_<3
- firstly pretend our client asked us for a website or powerpoint, but not actually make it, just do client requirements and input, process and outputs.

our teacher made us do both a website and a database.
Original post by JOftw
Woah thanks for the help. BTW what did you get for Info 1?

I haven't actually taken INFO 1 yet, first time on Friday. I have already taken INFO 2, though, but I only got a D unfortunately because of the fact that I wasn't answering the question, keeping my answer in context or keeping my answer specific.

Really hope that INFO 1 goes well for me, though :smile:

My teachers made me do two solutions, a Flash Animation and a Database. Decided to use my Flash Animation for the Analysis and the Database for the Testing - made the most sense to me :smile:
I was going over some test papers today and one of the questions said to 'show where there are tests for one of your client requirements'.
However we were told to do the client requirements for one problem and the testing on the other problem.
So my client requirements and testing aren't linked, should they be or how do I answer this question?
I was going over some test papers today and one of the questions said to 'show where there are tests for one of your client requirements'.
However we were told to do the client requirements for one problem and the testing on the other problem.
So my client requirements and testing aren't linked, should they be or how do I answer this question?

The solutions definitely DO NOT need to be linked. The section on "Problem Identification/Analysis" should have questions that have nothing to do with "Testing" and vice versa, so it's odd that this question came up...

Do you know exactly what paper it was? I will probably be able to reply by tomorrow afternoon. If this is too late, then I would suggest speaking to your teacher about it if you can either email them or find them. :smile:
Question 5E from the paper May 2009.
I'm really confused and the exam is on Friday! :frown:
My class has been taught really badly and my sample work sucks. Do we NEED to have 3 different types of validation? I've got plenty of range checks, but my drop-down boxes and format checks are pretty weak as they're poorly explained.
Also, can the screenshots for our tests be separate to the table of test data? (i.e. have pages 7-12 with a table of tests and then pages 13-20 with screenshots as evidence?)
Original post by Bobby Greenberg III
Also, can the screenshots for our tests be separate to the table of test data? (i.e. have pages 7-12 with a table of tests and then pages 13-20 with screenshots as evidence?)

Yes, my test table is on one page with screen shots on the next but be sure to label the screen shots so the marker will know which screen shots are linked to each test.

I didn't do multiple tests of the same thing, for example even though I used drop down lists multiple times I only tested one of them to save space as we can only have a maximum of 20 pages. But make sure you do a test showing validity, accuracy and presentation.

(I'm not to sure on my accuracy tests, does anyone have any examples?)
Reply 17
Original post by CraziiFreak
Hey guys,
Is anyone doing Info 1 on 25th May. (AQA)
I'm actually an A2 student but re-sitting info 1.

(i hope i'm not the only one! scary stuff* lol)

Yeah, basically i'm really not understanding the point of this exam. How do you revise for it? like seriously? Past papers doesn't help because it's the most random thing that appears every year.

So, if anyone would like to enlighten me on how they revise for this exam, or any strategy to tackle the questions, ( My sample work is pretty decent but how the heck did i manage a D in the exam?!)

Also, if anyone who has done this exam previously and got above a B, please share how you achieved that?! :cool:

Thank you all in advance!

I am also retaking info 1 even though I got a D in the exam to with 55 ums marks. I know that info 1 is so easy and u answer the questions just based on the samplework but there is something that u should know about other than the thoery itself. I am going to upload some files that is based on the samplework bits and you will understand what I am on about.
Reply 18
INFO1 Revision Guide_2010.pdf

This is the attachment that has all the topics for info 1. I advise u to read the analysis, Design of solutions, Implementation, Testing and Lastly evaluvation. These stuff will come up in the exam and they do worth a lot of marks. I have a presentation which has these topics as well but I can't upload it becuase It is not allowing me to. I can send these presentation to u if u want them. Just write down ur emails so that i can send it to u.
Reply 19
Original post by Aaqil
INFO1 Revision Guide_2010.pdf

This is the attachment that has all the topics for info 1. I advise u to read the analysis, Design of solutions, Implementation, Testing and Lastly evaluvation. These stuff will come up in the exam and they do worth a lot of marks. I have a presentation which has these topics as well but I can't upload it becuase It is not allowing me to. I can send these presentation to u if u want them. Just write down ur emails so that i can send it to u.

[email protected]

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending