The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A - G485: Fields, Particles & Frontiers of Physics - June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Picture~Perfect
You teacher told you to do that?
My tutor agrees that at this level writing physics in prose is difficult but he still recommends it over just bullet points. That way its clear to the examiner that you understand what you're talking about and isn't that the whole point of studying a subject?

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to pick on you, just voicing my opinion.

We too were told just to bullet point, because it saves time and hits all the marks all the same.

Still, we were told not to do it where there were QWC marks available. This was because the QWC mark in mark schemes in the past were for things like gramatically correct sentences with no more than two spelling and punctuation errors. However, this probably doesn't apply anymore as QWC marks these days tend to be given for mentioning and/or correctly spelling certain words or phrases. :dontknow:
Original post by Beth1234
We too were told just to bullet point, because it saves time and hits all the marks all the same.

Still, we were told not to do it where there were QWC marks available. This was because the QWC mark in mark schemes in the past were for things like gramatically correct sentences with no more than two spelling and punctuation errors. However, this probably doesn't apply anymore as QWC marks these days tend to be given for mentioning and/or correctly spelling certain words or phrases. :dontknow:

I get that it saves time and hits all the marks.
But if you're just learning to answers for the questions, doesn't it take the joy out of learning the concepts of Physics?
One of the things I love about Physics is the discussions I have with my tutor that go beyond the level of physics required for the syllabus, I think it helps develop my understanding of the concepts involved.
Does anyone know on average the raw marks needed for 100% UMS?
Reply 223
But if you're just learning to answers for the questions, doesn't it take the joy out of learning the concepts of Physics?
One of the things I love about Physics is the discussions I have with my tutor that go beyond the level of physics required for the syllabus, I think it helps develop my understanding of the concepts involved.

Apart from the Universe questions, I find physics extremely dull.
I'm more than happy with just passing the exam.

I have to agree with you. :yep:
I don't think I'd feel very confident going into the exam if I just memorised answers from mark schemes.
One thing I wanted to do differently this year was make sure I really understand the topics; hopefully that will help with the 'Stretch & Challenge' questions. :crossedf:
Original post by OllyHV
Apart from the Universe questions, I find physics extremely dull.
I'm more than happy with just passing the exam.

I think thats fair enough, if you just want to pass then its probably a waste of time to learn the details in any great depth. Especially as you probably have other exams that you'll want to dedicate your time and effort to :smile:

Original post by magdaplaysbass
I have to agree with you. :yep:
I don't think I'd feel very confident going into the exam if I just memorised answers from mark schemes.
One thing I wanted to do differently this year was make sure I really understand the topics; hopefully that will help with the 'Stretch & Challenge' questions. :crossedf:

:smile:
You never know quite how the question will be phrased so its very sensible to actually understand the topics.
I took my the Electrons waves and Photons exam last year and I learn't a lot of the theory by memorising facts that I didn't really understand and I got a D in the exam. This year I hired a private tutor and actually began to understand the topics and the principles involved. I took the exam again in January and got 90% UMS. ^_^
So I can safely say that having a good understanding really does make a difference.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 226
@ Picture perfect: can't agree more, rote learning just isn't as interesting.

Do people you round intermediate answers when making calculations? The normal answer is that you don't, but the mark scheme for the June 2010 paper had a few parts where they used a rounded value.
Original post by XiaoXiao1
A Couple of questions:

Am I right in thinking the that Universe cooled as it expanded due to the gain in gravitational potential energy as matter moved further apart?

There was a question about why you can;t use the EMF induced between the wingtips of a flying aeroplane to power appliances, when the magnetic field perpendicular to the aeroplane is unoform then it'll be because the flux enclosed by a circuit on the aeroplane wouldn't change as it flies, but in reality the component perpendicular to the aeroplane would change, so would it be because the induced e.m.f. is very small?

Yeah, as the matter moves further apart potential energy increases; therefore kinetic energy decreases. Kinetic energy is proportional to temperature (in Kelvin) therefore the Universe cooled.

I'm not too sure on your second question. Faraday's Law states that the induced e.m.f. is equal to the rate of change of flux linkage. So if there's no change in flux linkage, no e.m.f is induced. It don't think it is possible to get no induced e.m.f. across the wing tips of an Aeroplane in real life, because even if the Aeroplane is travelling parallel to the flux lines a few flux lines may still be cut and e.m.f. is still generated, albeit very low.
Reply 228
Original post by magdaplaysbass
Yeah, as the matter moves further apart potential energy increases; therefore kinetic energy decreases. Kinetic energy is proportional to temperature (in Kelvin) therefore the Universe cooled.

I'm not too sure on your second question. Faraday's Law states that the induced e.m.f. is equal to the rate of change of flux linkage. So if there's no change in flux linkage, no e.m.f is induced. It don't think it is possible to get no induced e.m.f. across the wing tips of an Aeroplane in real life, because even if the Aeroplane is travelling parallel to the flux lines a few flux lines may still be cut and e.m.f. is still generated, albeit very low.

Thanks, my question was unclear. The question was asking whether you can use the EMF to generate power, which would involve connecting the wingtips to a circuit. However the flux enclosed the the circuit wouldn't change.

Another way of thinking about it is if you imagine a rectangular loop of wire with the wings as one of the sides, the EMF across the wire opposite the aeroplane wings have the same polarity and magnitude, so you wouldn't get any current flowing.
I couldn't imagine writing in continuous prose during an exam. It seems insane to me now.
I especially couldn't imagine marking hundreds of papers written in continuous prose, I'd let out a little sigh of relief every time a student bullet pointed if I were marking them.
Reply 230
Does anybody know what the shape of the kinetic energy against distance graph is and why, in question 3(vii) JUNE 2011 PAPER. I am stuck on that!

I said write answers in bullet points, not memorise bullet points by rote learning and cramming and then parroting them in exams! :p: Being able to express what you mean clearly and succinctly in bullet points not only helps the examiner, but also is a sign of good learning, I'd say.

You're right, no doubt it does take some of the joy out. There is also no doubt that "just" learning by memorising answers and not the concepts behind them is, certainly in the long term and possibly even for the exam, is not that effective. But consider the fact that you're lucky to have a tutor who can go through points one-on-one with you - so many teachers do not do discussions in class, and certainly not one-on-one. If you currently go to school or have gone to school, splitting the class into small groups and asking them to discuss between themselves is often a waste of time. In at least these cases, which are probably true of many students, partly memorising answers is a good way of clarifying ideas and getting rid of inconsistencies in the teaching or the points you didn't get in class.
You can do both.

In class we talk in detail about stuff - way beyong A level sometimes.

But students need to know how to score well in exams too. And for exams bullet points are the way to do it. Some just need to structure their ideas ; others need to rote learn it.

edit: what she said ^
Reply 233
Does anyone know on average the raw marks needed for 100% UMS?

It's usually 80 raw marks, or roundabout there :smile:

Original post by Beth1234

I personally couldn't bullet point because I tend to 'fill space' between points with stuff that pops into my head that I can manage to fit between sentences :redface: The number of marks I've picked up from this is ridiculous.

But I can understand why people do bullet point if they've read previous mark schemes :smile:
How is everyone revising this exam. COuld someone recommend me some more interesting ways to revise as I am really lacking motivation. I am gunning for a high A in this exam.
Reply 235
I'm in the middle of revising radioactivity, by writing the textbook chapter out word for word pretty much. I might then go and watch some videos on radioactivity and read some revision notes, just to sink it in :smile:.

I seriously can't wait for this exam to be over though, will be my hardest exam
Have this exam with Psychology which is a nightmare as its just essays and geography Unit 3 2 days after.. FML...

I've heard from my teacher, (who used to write these papers :P) that the papers are going back to the original mark scheme form. Meaning it wont be a cock-up like in January. So hopefully it will be low grade boundaries. :smile:
Reply 237
Original post by Brap4k22DivideBy2
Have this exam with Psychology which is a nightmare as its just essays and geography Unit 3 2 days after.. FML...

I've heard from my teacher, (who used to write these papers :P) that the papers are going back to the original mark scheme form. Meaning it wont be a cock-up like in January. So hopefully it will be low grade boundaries. :smile:

I haven't seen Jan 12 or done the question paper... so what was the mark scheme cock up? :tongue:

Or is it something to be seen?
Well usually the grade boundary varied between 60-70% for an A. However Jan 12 was like 62% C, 68% B, 72% A etc...They were really cramped in.
Original post by JuxtaposedJames
How is everyone revising this exam. COuld someone recommend me some more interesting ways to revise as I am really lacking motivation. I am gunning for a high A in this exam.

I've been watching some of the Brain Cox videos to help with the Universe section I find them pretty interesting :smile:
Or you could write out mind maps for each topic, that sometimes helps me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending