The Student Room Group

A2 study leave, how many hours of revision a day?

Started study leave on Friday and just trying to write up a revision time table.
However no idea how many hours to do a day, I know if i put down too many hours then i'll be disappointed with myself when i don't do the revision i'm meant to, but also thinking if i don't set enough then i'll just get too lazy to do anything anyway.
I'm only doing two A2 exams however as they are law and economics they do take quite a bit of learning.
How many hours a day would you suggest or how many hours of revision are you doing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It will come naturally I would say bit really it should be at least 5 hours a day

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X
Reply 2
I usually aim for 3 hours. I did so on Saturday, had a bit of a break yesterday and now I'm aiming to do 3 hours every day, especially for history seeing as that exam's coming up quite soon! (EEK!!!)
Reply 3
Original post by jakeboyd
It will come naturally I would say bit really it should be at least 5 hours a day

Coundn't see me doing more than 5 hours a day, least not this week, have two weeks revising before my exams.
Reply 4
Original post by Bibs_x
I usually aim for 3 hours. I did so on Saturday, had a bit of a break yesterday and now I'm aiming to do 3 hours every day, especially for history seeing as that exam's coming up quite soon! (EEK!!!)

I have two weeks before any exams idk 3 hours doesn't seem enough for me if i'm only doing that much a day i'll just end up saying i'll do a hour today and a extra two tomorrow or something haha.
Reply 5
Original post by Clare1994
I have two weeks before any exams idk 3 hours doesn't seem enough for me if i'm only doing that much a day i'll just end up saying i'll do a hour today and a extra two tomorrow or something haha.

I think I end up doing around 3-5 hours. When it doesn't seem enough for me, I'll aim to do more. I have one exam next week and my last 2 exams in 2 weeks time.
I think timetables are quite useless, instead you should set yourself aims e.g. Go through 15 pages of the chemistry textbook everyday, but also leave time for past papers and contingency in case you fall behind.
You could use your college timetable
As in work the amount of hours you do at school if you're worried about discipline

Or you could use the website get revising where you enter your exam dates and it makes a revision timetable for you with about 4-5 hours a day

I'm on A2 study leave as well and I use get revising
Hope i could help :smile:
Reply 8
A week for both I don't know.
Reply 9
6 works for me (I have 6 exams left, had 13 altogether, at the start I was doing more though :holmes:). It depends on your goals and how many exams you have though. Since you only have two exams, 2-3 is probably enough, unless you feel you are behind. Good luck :yy:
Three a day and I'm doing some nice gratifying forging ahead.
Much less painful now I've drawn up lists of facts just to memorise. This does mean I have about ten pages to get through. Probably far too much, but at least I'll be able to sleep the night before I have to sit History. Am slightly worried about the fact that I won't get any done today or tomorrow, we're going to Whitby (:biggrin:) and my first exam is next Tuesday. Oh well. It'll be fine.

My timetable is more like this:
9:00 vocab
9:15 History, copying out from memory lists I've learnt so far, learning more etc
9:45 quotes
10:00 History

etc etc until about 11:30. But I usually skip five or ten minutes of each one....so not terribly productive.

edit: I should add I've only got three exams. People who've got more than five must do loads of hours more than 3.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't think there's any worth getting pedantic over the number of hours, as it can vary from person to person and subject to subject. For example, I usually get along fine with no more than 1.5 to 2 hours a day, as that's just the way I am and it suits my revision style. However, for my Law exam in January, I didn't do enough and got a B, so I'll be doing that heavily nearer to the exam.

Also, locking yourself in a room all day, while it might force a bit more facts into your brain, it means you're way more stressed and potentially less likely to remember stuff during the exam - especially by the end, you'll be watching the clock to see how long until you can let yourself off etc so won't be productive at all.

Original post by Melikeyflute
I think timetables are quite useless, instead you should set yourself aims e.g. Go through 15 pages of the chemistry textbook everyday, but also leave time for past papers and contingency in case you fall behind.

I think that's a fairly good way of looking at it. I just tend to sit in my room, headphones on, until I've done what I need to - today I'm going through my economics notes and simplifying them so I can get my family to test me on them later.

And for the record, I have 6 exams....:cool:
Reply 12
Original post by Melikeyflute

In my opinion it doesn't make much difference as long as i know i cover everything.
Reply 13
It's not about how long you revise for, it's how productive your revision is :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Theflyingbarney
I don't think there's any worth getting pedantic over the number of hours, as it can vary from person to person and subject to subject. For example, I usually get along fine with no more than 1.5 to 2 hours a day, as that's just the way I am and it suits my revision style. However, for my Law exam in January, I didn't do enough and got a B, so I'll be doing that heavily nearer to the exam.

Also, locking yourself in a room all day, while it might force a bit more facts into your brain, it means you're way more stressed and potentially less likely to remember stuff during the exam - especially by the end, you'll be watching the clock to see how long until you can let yourself off etc so won't be productive at all.

I think that's a fairly good way of looking at it. I just tend to sit in my room, headphones on, until I've done what I need to - today I'm going through my economics notes and simplifying them so I can get my family to test me on them later.

And for the record, I have 6 exams....:cool:

I got told do 50min sections then a 10 min break & then refresh the stuff u av looked at!
Also for the break go to a different room or outside

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by jakeboyd

:clap2:

-----

I would say around 3-5 hours: try and make this in the morning so you get the afternoon off.
Reply 16
Well I start revising at about 8:30am and go straight through until about 5:30pm. I stop for an hour for lunch, and then I usually have small 15 minute breaks every couple of hours. It probably works out at about 7 hours a day. If you don’t think you can stay motivated for this long then don’t do as long, not everyone can stay focused for that long.

However I’d say you need to be doing at least 5 hours. Think about it, when you’re on study leave you’re technically still at college because you’re supposed to be working. Study leave is a substitute for college, therefore you should be revising for about the same amount of time you’re at college, if not more.
Original post by -Haz-
Well I start revising at about 8:30am and go straight through until about 5:30pm. I stop for an hour for lunch, and then I usually have small 15 minute breaks every couple of hours. It probably works out at about 7 hours a day. If you don’t think you can stay motivated for this long then don’t do as long, not everyone can stay focused for that long.

However I’d say you need to be doing at least 5 hours. Think about it, when you’re on study leave you’re technically still at college because you’re supposed to be working. Study leave is a substitute for college, therefore you should be revising for about the same amount of time you’re at college, if not more.

You're really not getting enough hours in there. I start at dawn and continue until the Moon appears.
Reply 18
I'm currently doing revision for my's gcse's (I'm in year 11,on study leave), and I would do a total of 6 hours per day
2hours morning
2hours afternoon
2hours night
Reply 19
when i did my a2s i revised 8 hours a day

Quick Reply

Latest