The Student Room Group

what does the citizenship advice bureau actually do? (does anyone volunteer there)

whilst trying to gain some experience volunteering for the citizenship advice bureau it occured to me how does the citizenship advice bureau work?. i know that they help provide information on issues such as finance, and homelessness, so how are they funded ( they're a charity right)? and how do they work alongside local council i? i am just generally curious, but the question is also inspired by the application forms questions such as "what do you think are the main issues facing your community?" and how i could give a relevant answer. also does anyone volunteer at your CAB and how do you find it?
(edited 11 years ago)
My mum did. Very often it is dealing with people who have got their financial lives into a great big mess and need help sorting it out.

My mum stopped because her coworkers had a go at her for not doing enough of the paperwork and spending too much time actually talking to people.
Original post by Classical Liberal
My mum did. Very often it is dealing with people who have got their financial lives into a great big mess and need help sorting it out.

My mum stopped because her coworkers had a go at her for not doing enough of the paperwork and spending too much time actually talking to people.

ahh i guess your mum was an adviser. i was thinking of volunteering in adminstration( i guess i will have to not mind the paperwork so much then haha) and then moving on to becoming an adviser :biggrin: apart from the actual paperwork, was the actual advising part of the role enjoyable then :smile:?
Original post by bananaterracottapie
ahh i guess your mum was an adviser. i was thinking of volunteering in adminstration( i guess i will have to not mind the paperwork so much then haha) and then moving on to becoming an adviser :biggrin: apart from the actual paperwork, was the actual advising part of the role enjoyable then :)?

Sometimes. Depends on who you have to deal with.
Reply 4
My mum volunteered as an adviser there a couple of years ago, and she really enjoyed it (although I don't think she was a massive fan of the paperwork).

She helped people with all sorts of issues, there are a lot of illiteracy issues in my area, so often it would just be helping people fill in important forms. She used to give out advice on what kind of benefits were available for people in different circumstances, or how to go about getting a job. Quite a few people would come in about issues at work, or issues regarding losing their jobs, so she ended up advising people about employment tribunals etc. They cover all sorts of things though, a man came in about the domestic abuse he was getting from his girlfriend, and that was really tough because there's a lot of stigma about domestic abuse when it's that way round. Most of the time though it was just giving out advice to people in massive amounts of debt, and advising them how to go about declaring yourself bankrupt.

I think they're funded by the council. Our local CAB was closed down when the council went through massive cuts last year.
Reply 5
It's the CITIZEN'S Advice Bureau. If you can't get that right, god help those you are intending to offer advice to.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by DazA
It's the CITIZEN'S Advice Bureau. If you can't get that right, god help those you are intending to offer advice to.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

oh shut up. it was a typo from writing too fast, you pedantic **** :P edit: admittedly repeated twice. but i do know its called the citizen's advice bureau honestly :P
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply