The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Scribblet
Because having kids with such a close genepool means there more likely to get a genetic disease? Therefore you could also argue that it could be considered wrong to have a relationship that may cause harm to your own children, and putting your children after yourselves.

Obviously that's an important point, but would you stop people with serious inheritable disabilities from reproducing if they wish to do so? Isn't it much the same?
Reply 21
Original post by Huskaris
Troll or retard.

Just look at the child birth deficiency rates in incestual relationships. That's the main reason.

Dispatches did an episode where they looked at the Bangladeshi community, who seem to love marrying their cousins, and as a result have the highest level of child birth defects in the UK

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-68/episode-1

Oh, okay, maybe you're right.

I suppose you agree with a brother and sister having sex if they use a condom?
And brother on brother sex, I guess that's okay too?
hmmm i wonder.
Original post by Stefan1991
What would you do if your mum came home one day and said she had raunchy sex with your dad. Oh, would you feel sick then too? Better ban parental sex aswell.

Were you born this retarded or has it developed over time?
Reply 24
Original post by psychocustard
Fcol. Because it's just wrong, and always has been.

I love my mum, but I don't want to **** her. Just, ick.

Of course, I'm guessing you also disagreed with homosexuality being legalised and extra-marital sex huh?
Reply 25
Original post by Glen_Nichols
The kids will be mutants.

She is half way there!
Reply 26
Original post by Fandabidoze!
Incest seems boring and like the easy route (I get along with my brother/sister, why not marry them?). Finding someone who is not a relative but who you can still have a similar level of emotional connection with appears to be more fun.

Fair enough, but still not a good enough reason to put people in jail for it.
Reply 27
Original post by Lewroll
Ok, thats it, I've had enough. This has gone too far!!

This attitude of let two consenting adults do whatever they want is fine...up to a point.

Incest is sick, and if it ever becomes legal....just the thought of it makes me want to be sick.

How would you feel if your brother and sister came home one day and told you they had been having sex :lolwut:?

I agree it's not right, but I feel sorry for them because they were seperated for years, and so they wouldn't have grown up together and wouldn't emotionally feel like brother and sister.
Reply 28
incest is wrong that couple should kill themselves and their children before the mutants take over
Reply 29
Oh, okay, maybe you're right.

I suppose you agree with a brother and sister having sex if they use a condom?
And brother on brother sex, I guess that's okay too?

*Scratches head*
I believe that as long as what you are doing harms no one else then it is OK. So if contraception was used every time. I really really hate to say this, but it would be none of my business and I wouldn't be able to criticise them. But I hope they would have the decency to not wave it in my face.

That's probably how they prevent population booms in Norfolk, just make them wear condoms.
What would you do if your mum came home one day and said she had raunchy sex with your dad. Oh, would you feel sick then too? Better ban parental sex aswell.

I would say: yeah... I sort of realised you've had sex before.

Brother and sister? I don't see how you can justify it.
Reply 31
For all the plausible arguments about genetic disease we're hearing, we're also hearing a lot of arguments against this that were commonly used against homosexuality (and still are). "It's unnatural!", "It's just wrong!", "It's never found in nature!"

Looks like as a society we've actually learnt very little... :|
Reply 32

Your clearly an idiot. Incest means sex between people who are blood relations. My mum and my dad aren't blood relations, so your logic fails.

Also, to answer the title question: Because we live in a democracy, and I can't imagine any party getting elected on the platform of legalising incest.

What on earth are you talking about? That is completely different, I am not a child, I know my parents have sex. But my parents arent blood relatives. Incest is disgusting.
Nice way to avoid my question as well:rolleyes:
Of course, I'm guessing you also disagreed with homosexuality being legalised and extra-marital sex huh?

Yes, because as a bi-sexual with a long term boyfriend, I'm totally homophobic and against pre-marital sex.

Don't be a berk.
Reply 35
Philosophically you could argue that the state has no business interfering between consenting adults...

however practically incest is strongly associated with
family members sexually abusing their younger siblings and or offspring
forced marriages
genetic deformity in any resulting offspring

all very detrimental to society.

plus the yuck factor.

so I'm happy for it to stay illegal - just like I'm happy for driving with more than the proscribed level of alcohol in your blood to remain illegal, even for people who are such amazing drivers that even drunk they're still better than average.
Reply 36
If incest is made legal then it would be difficult to regulate because obviously it is not acceptable to allow such couples to have children. That would be a heinous thing and I don't think I should need to explain why. So that's one very good reason to outlaw it.

Another reason is that if incest is made legal lots of young children will be growing up seeing it as perfectly acceptable and inevitably lots of sexual relations will start arising within families. You could say now 'but the idea of ****ing my mother is disgusting!'. Why? Although there is some nature involved, society's labeling of it as wrong has partly made you feel that way. Start encouraging it and lots of confused children will become sexually attached to their siblings/parents, whatever. That would be a bloody terrible thing too. We need family, and a strong family bond is impossible when sex is involved.

There are plenty more reasons out there but those are two good ones, even by themselves.
Reply 37
There is no such thing as "unnatural", if humans ever exhibit incestuous behaviour than it is by the very definition "natural".

I'm guessing you are prejudiced against homosexuals aswell? Crime against the mystical spiritual entity which is nature after all..
Original post by Formica
For all the plausible arguments about genetic disease we're hearing, we're also hearing a lot of arguments against this that were commonly used against homosexuality (and still are). "It's unnatural!", "It's just wrong!", "It's never found in nature!"

Looks like as a society we've actually learnt very little... :|

Are you seriously suggesting that incest should be legal?
how would you feel if your brother and sister told you they had been having sex?
Reply 39
Original post by AJewStoleMah4skin
Were you born this retarded or has it developed over time?

I was just proving that feeling disgust for an act does not make it inherently wrong. After all disgust is subjective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_of_repugnance

Latest