The Student Room Group

The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Support and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ViceVersa
That is the worst! Being so comfortable and then realising the doors open. My father does that sometimes, he comes in to check what I'm up to and then doesn't close the door :facepalm: I hope you get a new door soon, do you put anything on the floor to somehow stop it?

Oh lucky you :tongue:

Thought I was the only one with the itunes :tongue: aside from the issue I already mentioned, I also have to 'rate' or 'star' every single song. I hate it not rated.

I'm sorry you're struggling with revision, so am I actually :erm: with pat papers I don't even check the mark scheme - I stay there like a useless fool and try to work through it :ashamed2:

I sleep naked, so my dad wouldn't dare walk in :tongue: Won't be getting a new door, I think we need to prioritise the lack of bathroom floor at the moment. Or the leaky boiler. Or the rubbish water pressure. Or the damp kitchen ceiling. Or the rubbish window in the bathroom

Not really, I've been late loads and it pisses my dad off, and then we get into an argument and I feel guilty for the rest of the day.

I don't see the ratings, I disabled that column. :tongue:

I've done 19 of 80 past papers so far. My first exam's on Friday the 13th, yayyy! If I don't get it after I look at the mark scheme, I panic really badly. I have a huge fear of failure and am a really bad perfectionist.

Also, posters have to be on the walls perfectly straight. My maths teacher put up a poster slightly wonkily and I got him to sort it out almost immediately. Although post-its are fine, they should be wonky.
My biggest problems are with stains and numbers. There was an incident a couple of weeks back when my mum had a mop and she was using bleach to mop the floor followed by steaming it. Now she had left the mop on the floor standstill as a a result it stained the floor. But the pattern that was created looked like little maggots/bacteria. I started having a panic attack (this didn't happen recently before, but it has happened) and went into this massive scrubbing. Luckily it's under a rug the stain, but I cannot life it up now without feeling fear :sigh:

In terms of numbers, I usually have either prime or even numbers for everything. Or it has to be a number that I consider "nice". When I also walk up stairs, I start with left and always make sure I end with left.
Reply 22
Original post by Contrad!ction.
I sleep naked, so my dad wouldn't dare walk in :tongue: Won't be getting a new door, I think we need to prioritise the lack of bathroom floor at the moment. Or the leaky boiler. Or the rubbish water pressure. Or the damp kitchen ceiling. Or the rubbish window in the bathroom

Not really, I've been late loads and it pisses my dad off, and then we get into an argument and I feel guilty for the rest of the day.

I don't see the ratings, I disabled that column. :tongue:

I've done 19 of 80 past papers so far. My first exam's on Friday the 13th, yayyy! If I don't get it after I look at the mark scheme, I panic really badly. I have a huge fear of failure and am a really bad perfectionist.

Also, posters have to be on the walls perfectly straight. My maths teacher put up a poster slightly wonkily and I got him to sort it out almost immediately. Although post-its are fine, they should be wonky.

Ha oh :teehee: and oh :frown:

You can disable a column?! :shock: this is wonderful news.

I have a fear of failure too, although most I believe I am a failure so..
Good luck with your exam either day. Do you get extra time because of your OCD?

Posters and pictures :yep:
Reply 23
Original post by cpdavis
My biggest problems are with stains and numbers. There was an incident a couple of weeks back when my mum had a mop and she was using bleach to mop the floor followed by steaming it. Now she had left the mop on the floor standstill as a a result it stained the floor. But the pattern that was created looked like little maggots/bacteria. I started having a panic attack (this didn't happen recently before, but it has happened) and went into this massive scrubbing. Luckily it's under a rug the stain, but I cannot life it up now without feeling fear :sigh:

In terms of numbers, I usually have either prime or even numbers for everything. Or it has to be a number that I consider "nice". When I also walk up stairs, I start with left and always make sure I end with left.

I have those problems too :frown: Sorry about what happened. A similar thing has happened too and even though it's under a rug, I don't know why but I still can't walk on there :dontknow:

I'm more of an even and 10's number person, and yes nice numbers too :erm: Also, I have some rituals. Like when I use the toilet at home, I clean the seat three times on top, twice on the sides/corners, and then twice after I've sat on it. Hence most of the toilet roll finishes, and I've blocked the toilet a couple of times, oops.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ha oh :teehee: and oh :frown:

You can disable a column?! :shock: this is wonderful news.

I have a fear of failure too, although most I believe I am a failure so..
Good luck with your exam either day. Do you get extra time because of your OCD?

Posters and pictures :yep:

Yeah, I get uncomfortable in clothes. Makes sleepovers/camping awkward, as I don't have any pyjamas.

It's a rented house, and Anglotown are crap at getting stuff done.

Right-click the column header and un-tick 'Ratings'. :biggrin:

I do that, I'm really self-critical. People get really pissed off at me if I get annoyed with my grades, because although they're some of the best in my 6th form, I just don't feel good enough.

Nope. No extra time for anything. I have 8 exams to revise for in total. :tongue:

I have quite a few posters up in my room, it took ages to put them up :tongue:
Reply 25
Welcome :h: Now you're starting to understand, are you learning to cope with it more? Did you ever get annoyed with them sometimes? Hopefully this thread can better help you understand even more :hugs:

I used to get annoyed at Jay (my partner) quite a lot, Jay's a lot more visibly anxious about things...unlike my dad who's always retreated into his shell in those sorts of situations, but as you say...now I understand more I realise it's not fair to get annoyed :o: most importantly am learning that doing a few little things to prevent things 'being wrong' makes life a lot smoother for both of us. Making the bed's the biggest thing...but now we have a routine to get it right, even if it takes a while :yep: we have joke about the pillows...one night Jay proclaimed 'it's not important if they're comfy...just that they're right!'...now it's a sort of catch-phrase :giggle:
Reply 26
Yeah, I get uncomfortable in clothes. Makes sleepovers/camping awkward, as I don't have any pyjamas.

It's a rented house, and Anglotown are crap at getting stuff done.

Right-click the column header and un-tick 'Ratings'. :biggrin:

I do that, I'm really self-critical. People get really pissed off at me if I get annoyed with my grades, because although they're some of the best in my 6th form, I just don't feel good enough.

Nope. No extra time for anything. I have 8 exams to revise for in total. :tongue:

I have quite a few posters up in my room, it took ages to put them up :tongue:

Must be very awkward :tongue: I do get uncomfortable in clothes sometimes, recently I got so irritated I took off everything, including throwing away my teddy, blanket, they lot.

Haa thanks for the tip :biggrin:

Seems like we're very alike :rolleyes: I'm the exact same and it's hard to explain properly or make people understand :\

Haha I meant extra time IN the exam lol.

I have one poster and two caricatures. They took ages too.

Original post by skipp
I used to get annoyed at Jay (my partner) quite a lot, Jay's a lot more visibly anxious about things...unlike my dad who's always retreated into his shell in those sorts of situations, but as you say...now I understand more I realise it's not fair to get annoyed :o: most importantly am learning that doing a few little things to prevent things 'being wrong' makes life a lot smoother for both of us. Making the bed's the biggest thing...but now we have a routine to get it right, even if it takes a while :yep: we have joke about the pillows...one night Jay proclaimed 'it's not important if they're comfy...just that they're right!'...now it's a sort of catch-phrase :giggle:

Ahh it's not your fault. Not understanding does that :yep: glad you're making more sense of it now :yy: you sound like a good partner to him :smile: and haha I love that phrase, might start using it :wink:
feeling quite sick currently :frown:
Must be very awkward :tongue: I do get uncomfortable in clothes sometimes, recently I got so irritated I took off everything, including throwing away my teddy, blanket, they lot.

Haa thanks for the tip :biggrin:

Seems like we're very alike :rolleyes: I'm the exact same and it's hard to explain properly or make people understand :\

Haha I meant extra time IN the exam lol.

I have one poster and two caricatures. They took ages too.

I just wear trackies and pull an all-nighter. If I'm not at home and with other people, then I don't sleep. :tongue: I also have to have something on top of me when I sleep. It might be boiling hot, but I'll still need the duvet.

No probs :smile: I just click a lot and hope something good happens :tongue:

And then I do the really guilty 'oh, what did you get?' 'D :frown:' ....'oh, that's good' thing after I've complained about my A. If I come out of an exam and couldn't do a question, I bug the teacher about it until I'm satisfied that I get it. Yeah, it's really hard to explain, most of the time people just think I'm a dick for saying it.

Nope, I don't and I know that's what you meant :tongue: You said 'good luck with your exam' so I pointed out I had more than one :tongue:

...I also have to explain myself in every situation where I feel someone thinks I'm wrong/being stupid, argh.

My bookcase is sloped, and I've got a poster above it. I spent ages deciding whether I should align the bottom edge of the poster with the top of the bookcase, or the top edge of the poster with the ceiling. Eventually I chose top edge, because the bookcase is taller than me so I can't see it. I still know it's there though, and it drives me mad.
Reply 29
Original post by cpdavis

Original post by cpdavis
feeling quite sick currently :frown:

Why what's up? :hugs:
Why what's up? :hugs:

Well I had one of my OCD tendency moments again which usually causes to have as I describe it "a mini fit" I'm feeling ok now. I think I should bring this up with my counselor :erm:
Reply 31
I just wear trackies and pull an all-nighter. If I'm not at home and with other people, then I don't sleep. :tongue: I also have to have something on top of me when I sleep. It might be boiling hot, but I'll still need the duvet.

No probs :smile: I just click a lot and hope something good happens :tongue:

And then I do the really guilty 'oh, what did you get?' 'D :frown:' ....'oh, that's good' thing after I've complained about my A. If I come out of an exam and couldn't do a question, I bug the teacher about it until I'm satisfied that I get it. Yeah, it's really hard to explain, most of the time people just think I'm a dick for saying it.

Nope, I don't and I know that's what you meant :tongue: You said 'good luck with your exam' so I pointed out I had more than one :tongue:

...I also have to explain myself in every situation where I feel someone thinks I'm wrong/being stupid, argh.

My bookcase is sloped, and I've got a poster above it. I spent ages deciding whether I should align the bottom edge of the poster with the top of the bookcase, or the top edge of the poster with the ceiling. Eventually I chose top edge, because the bookcase is taller than me so I can't see it. I still know it's there though, and it drives me mad.

I get that with the thing on top. I look like a right weirdo because even in the summer I have a blanket over me :erm:

Haha :h:

I get the same thing to so I understand :yep:

and ohh :colondollar:

I do the explaining thing soo tbh..

Ahh typical daily battle I've had before :yep: and omg the mirror in my room is the worst.

Isn't it weird that you can't directly see something, but it still drives you crazy because you know its there.
Reply 32
Original post by cpdavis

Original post by cpdavis
Well I had one of my OCD tendency moments again which usually causes to have as I describe it "a mini fit" I'm feeling ok now. I think I should bring this up with my counselor :erm:

What exactly happened? :hugs:
Is this OCD?

Hi,

I think I may have OCD. I have an urge every couple of weeks to hard reset my iPad and clear my computer. I then clean my iPad screen with window cleaner and sync it with my computer. I also create new email accounts and I make sure during the registration process I don't mispell and if I do, I reset the computer and iPad again.

At the moment, I can type normally and this is an anonymous TSR account I created when I was in the mood I am in now. But sometimes I feel as if I need to recreate all my online personas. I feel the urge to do it soon.

Is this OCD?

I know it sounds weird.
I get that with the thing on top. I look like a right weirdo because even in the summer I have a blanket over me :erm:

Haha :h:

I get the same thing to so I understand :yep:

and ohh :colondollar:

I do the explaining thing soo tbh..

Ahh typical daily battle I've had before :yep: and omg the mirror in my room is the worst.

Isn't it weird that you can't directly see something, but it still drives you crazy because you know its there.

Ooh, look at that weirdo, with her blanket and no clothes! :tongue:

As long as it doesn't blue-screen on me, it's all good :tongue:

I end up feeling really guilty along with the 'oh, I'm useless' feeling.

:tongue:

Just so that other people don't think I'm an idiot, although I think the explaining makes me look even more of one tbh.

I have a small desk mirror, so I didn't have to put it on the wall. Win-win situation.

It has no effect on anything I do, and I can't even see it, yet it pisses me off. :yes:
I think I have quite mild OCD, but one thing I have to do is when I'm on the computer, I have to move the cursor with the mouse to each corner of the screen, and I keep on doing that until it feels 'right'.

Also, if I scratch or even touch something on one side, I have to do the same on the other side. Even if I touch the table with one finger, odds are I will feel obliged to touch the table with the same finger on my other hand - just so everything feels equal.

Then there's the volume button - HAS to be a multiple of 5. Really pisses me off when it's on 47 or something..

Oh, and I tend to overthink things as well - I focus on very minor things a bit too much..like if don't understand something I learn, I spend numerous hours trying to intellectually understand what I've just read :s-smilie: for example, at the moment, I'm trying to get my head around relative atomic mass in chemistry - I just look into it too much - more than I need to...
Woah - I actually feel retarded atm :s-smilie:
Reply 36
I have a thing about light switches, in my house there are a set of light switches that always have to be aligned. I have a bath in a very specific order, get dressed in a specific order, and i make my tea in a specific way. I watched my mum make tea for me yesterday and she put the water in before the sugar so i had to pour it out and start again :frown: my folders for school have to be arranged in a certain way, and the pens i use for writing, underlining, drawing diagrams etc are all a certain colour. if things aren't done properly i feel itchy all over :s-smilie:

I don't know if it's really an OCD though. :')
Reply 37
Ooh, look at that weirdo, with her blanket and no clothes! :tongue:

As long as it doesn't blue-screen on me, it's all good :tongue:

I end up feeling really guilty along with the 'oh, I'm useless' feeling.

:tongue:

Just so that other people don't think I'm an idiot, although I think the explaining makes me look even more of one tbh.

I have a small desk mirror, so I didn't have to put it on the wall. Win-win situation.

It has no effect on anything I do, and I can't even see it, yet it pisses me off. :yes:

I get the same feelings don't worry, it's weird feeling guilty and useless at the same time :tongue:

That sometimes happens with me too and I end up misunderstood :puppyeyes:

Hmm I might have to do that win-win thing you've got there :holmes:

:five:
Reply 38
Original post by Joe Bloggs
Is this OCD?

Hi,

I think I may have OCD. I have an urge every couple of weeks to hard reset my iPad and clear my computer. I then clean my iPad screen with window cleaner and sync it with my computer. I also create new email accounts and I make sure during the registration process I don't mispell and if I do, I reset the computer and iPad again.

At the moment, I can type normally and this is an anonymous TSR account I created when I was in the mood I am in now. But sometimes I feel as if I need to recreate all my online personas. I feel the urge to do it soon.

Is this OCD?

I know it sounds weird.

Hi, well this is mostly my opinion but, you may have OCD but it may not be so bad and fairly managable. It could just be you are just specific about that alone, but you won't know till you talk to your GP properly, so try do that if you can :smile: When you say urge, is it like a certain day every couple of weeks or a period? Do you feel anxious/stress/worried or guilty if you don't do these things?

You're in the right place where you can talk to us, but also remember to talk to your GP if you can :hugs:
What exactly happened? :hugs:

Let's just say stains happened. grrrrrrr

Quick Reply

Latest