The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by JordanR
Finished the course today! Although I feel like I haven't taken anything in when we've been studying vectors over the past week or so -- should probably remedy that. Doing the unit 3 NAB on Tuesday.

Jesus, we've still got outcomes 3, 4 and 5 to do from Unit 3. I think we still even have a little bit of outcome 2 to do.

EDIT: How much teaching time do you get per week?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 841
Original post by Quintro
Jesus, we've still got outcomes 3, 4 and 5 to do from Unit 3. I think we still even have a little bit of outcome 2 to do.

EDIT: How much teaching time do you get per week?

Four (54 minute) periods a week. Vectors is by far the hardest part of unit 3. In my opinion, anyway. Perhaps it's because I find it the least interesting part.
Unit 3 algebra is a lot harder. Vectors are simple just a bore.

Final prelim tomorrow, has C written all over it and I need a B :frown:
ANGLE BETWEEN 2 PLANES

Am I correct in saying you need to find the normal of each plane, do (n1.n2)/(m1 x m2) then take the inverse cosine of your answer?

Where m1 and m2 are the corresponding magnitudes.
Reply 844
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
ANGLE BETWEEN 2 PLANES

Am I correct in saying you need to find the normal of each plane, do (n1.n2)/(m1 x m2) then take the inverse cosine of your answer?

Where m1 and m2 are the corresponding magnitudes.

Yes.

(n1.n2) = |n1||n2|cosΘ
Reply 845
Original post by JordanR
Four (54 minute) periods a week. Vectors is by far the hardest part of unit 3. In my opinion, anyway. Perhaps it's because I find it the least interesting part.

That's quite good. We get two 50 minute periods a week, although our teacher has been taking us more often recently in order to try and get the course complete.

My teacher says that further differential equations are the hardest thing in unit three. :smile:
Reply 846
Original post by Quintro
That's quite good. We get two 50 minute periods a week, although our teacher has been taking us more often recently in order to try and get the course complete.

My teacher says that further differential equations are the hardest thing in unit three. :smile:

I would've said they're by far the easiest part of unit 3. :tongue: Especially 2nd orders -- they'd be a gift in an exam. The integrating factor ones are a bit trickier though, I'll say that.

I think it goes (easiest to hardest):

Differential equations
Sequences and series
Matrices
Proofs and number theory
Vectors

But... that's just me. I think vectors probably have the potential to be easier, I just haven't really put the effort in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Bloody hell. We got SIX 50 minute periods.
Original post by Quintro

How the hell do you finish the course?
Reply 848
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Bloody hell. We got SIX 50 minute periods.

How the hell do you finish the course?

We have to go at 100mph in class, but starting next week I THINK we are basically getting 6 periods a week in order to make sure we finish it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 849
Original post by JordanR
I would've said they're by far the easiest part of unit 3. :tongue: Especially 2nd orders -- they'd be a gift in an exam. The integrating factor ones are a bit trickier though, I'll say that.

I think it goes (easiest to hardest):

Differential equations
Sequences and series
Matrices
Proofs and number theory
Vectors

But... that's just me. I think vectors probably have the potential to be easier, I just haven't really put the effort in.

I think:

Proofs
DEs
Sequences
Matrices
Vectors
and agree, they were the least interesting part of AH. Probably the only bit of the course I wouldn't be confident of winging now(but this mostly tells you about the failings of my further education rather than anything else:p:).

Edit-to the periods bit-how were you surviving on 2 a week? We were on 5 for everything(7 for sciences, where 2 were practicals).
Reply 850
Original post by Slumpy
I think:

Proofs
DEs
Sequences
Matrices
Vectors
and agree, they were the least interesting part of AH. Probably the only bit of the course I wouldn't be confident of winging now(but this mostly tells you about the failings of my further education rather than anything else:p:).

Edit-to the periods bit-how were you surviving on 2 a week? We were on 5 for everything(7 for sciences, where 2 were practicals).

Our teacher is very good at cramming lots of info into single lessons, and then hitting us with loads of practice questions (for homework) on what we done in a period. We got 2 periods per week for maths, and we get no periods for Physics. My school is pretty hopeless.

Edit: Oh, and the extra periods that we are getting for maths basically involves us sitting in with an Intermediate 1 class as they have rubber wars and scream at each other, and we can't hear a word our teacher says.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 851
Original post by Quintro
Our teacher is very good at cramming lots of info into single lessons, and then hitting us with loads of practice questions (for homework) on what we done in a period. We got 2 periods per week for maths, and we get no periods for Physics. My school is pretty hopeless.

Edit: Oh, and the extra periods that we are getting for maths basically involves us sitting in with an Intermediate 1 class as they have rubber wars and scream at each other, and we can't hear a word our teacher says.

Ouch, sometimes I forget how comparatively well my school did for teaching AHs than most.
Yeah, I feel awful thinking about how well off our school is comapred to most others as we have 3 AH Maths classes and 2 AH Physics classes (with about 20 students in each).

We just finished Further Differential Equations today and it was easier than I thought...
So now we only got Sequence and Series and more proofs and thats the Maths course complete :smile:
Reply 853
Original post by SameerM
Yeah, I feel awful thinking about how well off our school is comapred to most others as we have 3 AH Maths classes and 2 AH Physics classes (with about 20 students in each).

We just finished Further Differential Equations today and it was easier than I thought...
So now we only got Sequence and Series and more proofs and thats the Maths course complete :smile:

My school has one AH Maths class with 7 people in it, and three people doing AH Physics with no teacher (sitting in a class with Int 2 students and self-teaching).
Original post by Quintro
We learned how to find the inverse of a 3x3 matrix today. It's apparently never been asked in the exam before, and I can see why. It would be an absolute nightmare to mark.

No doubt this will be the year it comes up. :frown:

Plus it takes FOREVER! Kinda cool though.
Reply 855
Original post by SameerM

State school though? Mind if I ask which one if so?
Reply 856
Original post by SameerM

Wow, I thought my school was about as any state schools(if I got confused and you're private, nevermind!), and we had about 20 in AH physics, and 2 classes of maths for maybe 40 of us.
So to start off my final push of revision, the binomial theorem :tongue:
Reply 858
We have 5 doing adv.higher maths this year. 4 doing physics and 6 doing chemistry. Not many for a school of 1000, but at least they run the classes, and the small class sizes are great :biggrin:
We get 6 x 53minute lessons per week.
Original post by mimx
State school though? Mind if I ask which one if so?

Nah ofc not, its a state school called Williamwood High School although considering there are around 300 pupils in 6th year its not too bad...

And Quintro that must be hard mate :/... massive sympathy!

Latest

Trending

Trending